PNY Nvidia 9800 Gt versus VisionTek Ati Radeon 5670

Katakylsm

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Sometime this week, budget is around the price of both of these cards, in the 100-120$ Range.

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Mostly used for WoW but I enjoy playing LoL/HoN/GW and will probably get into SC2,D3 and FFXIII when they are released.

POWER SUPPLY: BFG Tech GS-550 550W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V V2.8 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply
GPU : Ati Radeon Xpress 200 series (Very very old integrated graphics card.)

I'm in the process of building a new computer and I'll post the specs of the new one since that is what it will be used with.

MOBO: MSI 770-G45 AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
CPU : AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Callisto 3.1GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Desktop Processor (Also wondering if there is a terrible difference between this and the 555 for the possibility of unlocking 1-2 more cores in it, if so I can always return it and pick up the 555.)
RAM : I've yet to choose what type of ram I want but I know that it will be DDR3 1333, and I'm still using XP so I'm only going to get 4GB now and when I upgrade to 7 I'll expand it to 8GB.
SYSTEM CASE:Thermaltake V9 Black Edition ATX Computer Gaming Chassis with Dual Oversized 230mm Ultra-Silent Cooling Fans VJ400G1N2Z Mid Tower

PREFERRED WEBSITE FOR PARTS: Newegg preferred but I'm open to other sites if they are deemed reliable. I usually just buy things from where I work (Best Buy) as I get a nice employee discount on items.

PARTS PREFERENCES: No preference though I'm thinking with an AMD supported MOBO the Ati card will be better.

OVER CLOCKING: Maybe
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1440x900

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I already have a dual 92mm fan Heatsink ready for when I get the ram and finish building this. Also wondering if someone can recommend me a good company to buy RAM from, based on quality of the product (Personal experience would be awesome!) I'm also looking for a good GPU and CPU cooler for the future since I may want to Over clock in the future, recommendations appreciated (Not looking for a top of the line coolers but mid-level gaming ones.)

Link for VisionTek Ati 5670: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129153&cm_re=ati_radeon_hd_5670-_-14-129-153-_-Product
Link for PNY Nvidia 9800 GT : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133304&Tpk=pny%209800gt]

Katakylsm

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010

Think you could recommend a monitor size that would support one of these two or the 4850 better? I can move it up to about 1600x1024 and still see the entire screen anymore than that and it cuts off the toolbar. Is that resolution more justifiable for a better graphics card or should I just get a better card and a new screen? I'm looking into getting an hd tv to play on but that would have to wait until I finish my pc. I'd hate to get a worse card for the same price when I can always upgrade everything else to fit the cards requirements.

Well, I guess I'll go with the 4850 as everything I've seen ranks it the best (Thanks to the both of you for the great recommendation.) Do any of the companies that make it provide better cooling or a product that you're heard of? Any of them have better Memory clocks?

512mb if fine. If he is using low resolution, then there is no need to get a 1GB card. A 4850 can't use 1GB effectively anyways.

4850s are great reference (stock) design. Although companies such as Asus and Sapphire has made some with better coolers. Honestly I'd just get the cheapest one.