Windows no longer recognizes Office filetypes?

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Microsoft Word
  • Windows XP
March 30, 2005 2:31:03 PM

My computer had picked some some serious malware recently; an updated and
particularly vicious form of "Desktop Search." I managed to get it cleaned up
but apparently now, Windows no longer recognizes the filetypes of my
Microsoft Word files. Any files created by Word in either .doc, .wiz, or .rtf
format no longer show the Word Icon. If I instruct the computer to open them
with Microsoft Word, then they open normally, but it does not AUTOMATICALLY
recognize their filetype and assign them the appropriate Word Icon. Is there
any way to fix this? Also, if I open a .wiz file and try to resave it, it
absolutely absolutely ***ABSOLUTELY*** demands I reassign it a new file type.
Is there any way to fix THAT? To let it be saved in the same .wiz format as
before?

Thanks,
AMG

More about : windows longer recognizes office filetypes

Anonymous
March 31, 2005 12:44:27 PM

Depending on your version of Office
Open Word
On the Help menu select Detect and Repair

This will fix the issues

Regards
Mark Dormer

"Alan M. Goldfarb" <AlanMGoldfarb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in