Selling Images?

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 21, 2004 1:51:50 AM

I am 'into' street photography' and have been covering local protests. Two
of my shots are being used on a web site to cover a current labor protest. I
was wondering if anyone had documentation to what you need to do so that you
can easily sell images to newspapers?

The first two images on the following URL are mine. They do give me credit
if you pause your mouse. I had already given them permission at the protest
as for me it is 'practice'. I'm not doing it for the money but having a
camera at these events means you might capture a priceless moment.
http://www.seiu11.org/action/vigil1216/index.cfm

My current images with a number of protests.
http://www.pbase.com/lautermilch

More about : selling images

Anonymous
December 21, 2004 1:51:51 AM

"Dean S. Lautermilch®²ºº³" <ftlbard@nospam.bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> I am 'into' street photography' and have been covering local protests. Two
> of my shots are being used on a web site to cover a current labor protest.
> was wondering if anyone had documentation to what you need to do so that
you
> can easily sell images to newspapers?
>
> The first two images on the following URL are mine. They do give me credit
> if you pause your mouse. I had already given them permission at the
protest
> as for me it is 'practice'. I'm not doing it for the money but having a
> camera at these events means you might capture a priceless moment.
> http://www.seiu11.org/action/vigil1216/index.cfm
>
> My current images with a number of protests.
> http://www.pbase.com/lautermilch

On numerous occastions, I've just walked into the paper and told them I have
an image they may like. Security calls the photo editor's desk, and they
send my up the elevator.

This has worked numerous times, so long as I've happened upon an interesting
scene. My local paper typically pays between $100-200 for on-the-spot
general news type items they feel they can use the next morning.

More and more, though, newspapers seem to be simply grabbing AP photos
rather than generating their own.

Last spring I drove right into the middle of a police shooting...with
automatic weapons drawn all over the place, and no less than 75 police cars
flying by and around me.

-I just parked my car, got out, and started walking right into the thick of
it with my big white lens. **It is truly **AMAZING** what you can do
without so much as a raised eyebrow when you confidently act like you
belong, and are carrying a significant-looking rig. As silly as it may
sound, police and emergency folks are impressed with big glass, and tend to
asume you have some sort of "clearance" for being in places they would tend
to kick other folks out of.
:)
-Mark
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 2:20:13 AM

> I'm not doing it for the money but having a
> camera at these events means you might capture a priceless moment.

Like seeing a policeman crack a protester's shin with a baton? : )

steve
December 21, 2004 3:18:13 AM

Dean S. Lautermilch®²ºº³ wrote:
> I am 'into' street photography' and have been covering local protests. Two
> of my shots are being used on a web site to cover a current labor protest. I
> was wondering if anyone had documentation to what you need to do so that you
> can easily sell images to newspapers?
>
> The first two images on the following URL are mine. They do give me credit
> if you pause your mouse. I had already given them permission at the protest
> as for me it is 'practice'. I'm not doing it for the money but having a
> camera at these events means you might capture a priceless moment.
> http://www.seiu11.org/action/vigil1216/index.cfm
>
> My current images with a number of protests.
> http://www.pbase.com/lautermilch

Stop giving away your images and make images people want to buy. If
people aren't buying your images make images that people want. Giving
away your work devalues you and the profession. If people want to buy
your work they will.
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 3:27:17 AM

"fortknight" <nobody@home.com> wrote in message
> Dean S. Lautermilch®²ºº³ wrote:
> > I am 'into' street photography' and have been covering local protests.
Two
> > of my shots are being used on a web site to cover a current labor
protest. I
> > was wondering if anyone had documentation to what you need to do so that
you
> > can easily sell images to newspapers?
> >
> > The first two images on the following URL are mine. They do give me
credit
> > if you pause your mouse. I had already given them permission at the
protest
> > as for me it is 'practice'. I'm not doing it for the money but having a
> > camera at these events means you might capture a priceless moment.
> > http://www.seiu11.org/action/vigil1216/index.cfm
> >
> > My current images with a number of protests.
> > http://www.pbase.com/lautermilch
>
> Stop giving away your images and make images people want to buy.

Umm...
OK.

>If people want to buy
> your work they will.

Ya...
OK.

I'm sure the original poster thanks you for this most insightful and helpful
advice.
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 12:47:20 PM

Mark² wrote:
> "fortknight" <nobody@home.com> wrote in message
>
>>Dean S. Lautermilch®²ºº³ wrote:
>>
>>>I am 'into' street photography' and have been covering local protests.
>
> Two
>
>>>of my shots are being used on a web site to cover a current labor
>
> protest. I
>
>>>was wondering if anyone had documentation to what you need to do so that
>
> you
>
>>>can easily sell images to newspapers?
>>>
>>>The first two images on the following URL are mine. They do give me
>
> credit
>
>>>if you pause your mouse. I had already given them permission at the
>
> protest
>
>>>as for me it is 'practice'. I'm not doing it for the money but having a
>>>camera at these events means you might capture a priceless moment.
>>>http://www.seiu11.org/action/vigil1216/index.cfm
>>>
>>>My current images with a number of protests.
>>>http://www.pbase.com/lautermilch
>>
>>Stop giving away your images and make images people want to buy.
>

> Umm...
> OK.
>

>>If people want to buy
>>your work they will.
>

> Ya...
> OK.
>
> I'm sure the original poster thanks you for this most insightful and helpful
> advice.

Probably more than I appreciated this bit... Sheesh.
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 5:18:24 PM

> Last spring I drove right into the middle of a police shooting...with
> automatic weapons drawn all over the place, and no less than 75 police
cars
> flying by and around me.
>
> -I just parked my car, got out, and started walking right into the thick
of
> it with my big white lens. **It is truly **AMAZING** what you can do
> without so much as a raised eyebrow when you confidently act like you
> belong, and are carrying a significant-looking rig. As silly as it may
> sound, police and emergency folks are impressed with big glass, and tend
> asume you have some sort of "clearance" for being in places they would
tend
> to kick other folks out of.
> :)
> -Mark

I suppose if you got shot in the crossfire you would sue the police for
negligence?

Gerrit - Oz
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 5:18:25 PM

"Gerrit 't Hart" <gthart@sad.au> wrote in message

> > Last spring I drove right into the middle of a police shooting...with
> > automatic weapons drawn all over the place, and no less than 75 police
> cars
> > flying by and around me.
> >
> > -I just parked my car, got out, and started walking right into the thick
> of
> > it with my big white lens. **It is truly **AMAZING** what you can do
> > without so much as a raised eyebrow when you confidently act like you
> > belong, and are carrying a significant-looking rig. As silly as it may
> > sound, police and emergency folks are impressed with big glass, and tend
> > asume you have some sort of "clearance" for being in places they would
> tend
> > to kick other folks out of.
> > :)
> > -Mark
> >

> I suppose if you got shot in the crossfire you would sue the police for
> negligence?

Ummm...
No.
I wasn't the only non-police-type person there.
I was simply noting that police tend to leave you alone if you're carrying a
big camera. Also...I suspect you are imagining a far worse atmosphere than
it was.
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 8:14:12 PM

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 14:18:24 +0800, "Gerrit 't Hart" <gthart@sad.au>
wrote:

>"Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message
>>
>> Last spring I drove right into the middle of a police shooting...with
>> automatic weapons drawn all over the place, and no less than 75 police
>cars
>> flying by and around me.
>>
>> -I just parked my car, got out, and started walking right into the thick
>of
>> it with my big white lens. **It is truly **AMAZING** what you can do
>> without so much as a raised eyebrow when you confidently act like you
>> belong, and are carrying a significant-looking rig. As silly as it may
>> sound, police and emergency folks are impressed with big glass, and tend
>> asume you have some sort of "clearance" for being in places they would
>tend
>> to kick other folks out of.
>> :)
>> -Mark
>>

>I suppose if you got shot in the crossfire you would sue the police for
>negligence?
>
>Gerrit - Oz

Sad that anyone can sue when natural selection is simply in due
process.
December 22, 2004 12:06:23 AM

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 00:18:13 -0800
In message <41c7dc4c$0$29684$8b463f8a@news.nationwide.net>
Posted from Nationwide Internet
fortknight <nobody@home.com> wrote:

Written to someone else:

> Stop giving away your images and make images people want to buy.

I only take orders from my wife. ;^)

> If people aren't buying your images make images that people want.

I'm not selling images. I make images people want.

> Giving away your work devalues you and the profession.

Consider me devalued AND confused.

If I am devaluing your "professing", then I am
performing a valuable public service, for free.

> If people want to buy your work they will.

This is true. You'd be amazed at how giving away
CD's of photographs can make people grateful. Did
you know that grateful people will buy them in the
future when they can afford it? Or when they have
a commercial need? In the meantime...

Photography is my hobby. I receive immense joy when
people are truly grateful to get photographs they
would never have seen without me and my hobby. Some
are on mantels and bed stands, some in portfolios of
musicians, some are being published, some are being
viewed on the web. Imagine, a hobby that occasionally
brings joy my way... something I never considered.

Joy cannot be purchased.

Jeff
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 12:06:24 AM

"Confused" <somebody@someplace.somenet> wrote in message
> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 00:18:13 -0800
> In message <41c7dc4c$0$29684$8b463f8a@news.nationwide.net>
> Posted from Nationwide Internet
> fortknight <nobody@home.com> wrote:
>
> Written to someone else:
>
> > Stop giving away your images and make images people want to buy.
>
> I only take orders from my wife. ;^)
>
> > If people aren't buying your images make images that people want.
>
> I'm not selling images. I make images people want.
>
> > Giving away your work devalues you and the profession.
>
> Consider me devalued AND confused.
>
> If I am devaluing your "professing", then I am
> performing a valuable public service, for free.
>
> > If people want to buy your work they will.
>
> This is true. You'd be amazed at how giving away
> CD's of photographs can make people grateful. Did
> you know that grateful people will buy them in the
> future when they can afford it? Or when they have
> a commercial need? In the meantime...
>
> Photography is my hobby. I receive immense joy when
> people are truly grateful to get photographs they
> would never have seen without me and my hobby. Some
> are on mantels and bed stands, some in portfolios of
> musicians, some are being published, some are being
> viewed on the web. Imagine, a hobby that occasionally
> brings joy my way... something I never considered.
>
> Joy cannot be purchased.
>
> Jeff

Exactly!
Bingo!
Hooray!
Well put, Jeff!!
December 22, 2004 12:06:25 AM

In article <NB0yd.60927$ka2.7429@fed1read04>, "Mark²" says...
> This is true. You'd be amazed at how giving away
> > CD's of photographs can make people grateful. Did
> > you know that grateful people will buy them in the
> > future when they can afford it? Or when they have
> > a commercial need? In the meantime...
> >
> > Photography is my hobby. I receive immense joy when
> > people are truly grateful to get photographs they
> > would never have seen without me and my hobby. Some
> > are on mantels and bed stands, some in portfolios of
> > musicians, some are being published, some are being
> > viewed on the web. Imagine, a hobby that occasionally
> > brings joy my way... something I never considered.
> >
> > Joy cannot be purchased.
> >
> > Jeff
>
> Exactly!
> Bingo!
> Hooray!
> Well put, Jeff!!

Not only well put, but a fair description of how my photography business got
started.

Simply put, once people got used to seeing my pictures, they developed and
appetite for MORE, and were willing to pay for the product.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

Mark² wrote:

> -I just parked my car, got out, and started walking right into the thick of
> it with my big white lens. **It is truly **AMAZING** what you can do
> without so much as a raised eyebrow when you confidently act like you
> belong, and are carrying a significant-looking rig. As silly as it may
> sound, police and emergency folks are impressed with big glass, and tend to
> asume you have some sort of "clearance" for being in places they would tend
> to kick other folks out of.
> :)

I went to a fire site once - firemen would stop just short of physically
picking up and carrying out anyone who insisted on going past the
lines... but wave a camera and flash a simple printed ID and they wave
you right on past.
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 4:41:12 AM

"Matt Ion" <soundy@moltenimage.com> wrote in message
> Mark² wrote:
>
> > -I just parked my car, got out, and started walking right into the thick
of
> > it with my big white lens. **It is truly **AMAZING** what you can do
> > without so much as a raised eyebrow when you confidently act like you
> > belong, and are carrying a significant-looking rig. As silly as it may
> > sound, police and emergency folks are impressed with big glass, and tend
> > asume you have some sort of "clearance" for being in places they would
tend
> > to kick other folks out of.
> > :)
>
> I went to a fire site once - firemen would stop just short of physically
> picking up and carrying out anyone who insisted on going past the
> lines... but wave a camera and flash a simple printed ID and they wave
> you right on past.

I've done that on four separate occasions.
Heck, and I don't have a pass, or anything resembling an ID...
-Funny how that works.
:)
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 7:53:36 AM

> I went to a fire site once - firemen would stop just short of physically
> picking up and carrying out anyone who insisted on going past the
> lines... but wave a camera and flash a simple printed ID and they wave
> you right on past.

I have a relative who printed out an obviously phony press ID (a simple
card with "PRESS" in big letters, and underneath, a picture of a sasquatch)
just to see where it would get him. Whenever he'd flash it, it was pretty
rare for him NOT to be allowed entry.

steve
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 11:43:07 AM

"Larry" <lastingimagery@comcast.dotnet> wrote in message

Not only well put, but a fair description of how my photography business got
started.

Simply put, once people got used to seeing my pictures, they developed and
appetite for MORE, and were willing to pay for the product.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

Is that called advertisng?

Gerrit
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 11:43:08 AM

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 08:43:07 +0800, "Gerrit 't Hart" <gthart@sad.au>
wrote:

>"Larry" <lastingimagery@comcast.dotnet> wrote in message
>
>Not only well put, but a fair description of how my photography business got
>started.
>
>Simply put, once people got used to seeing my pictures, they developed and
>appetite for MORE, and were willing to pay for the product.

Often people will assume a value dependant upon set prices. In which
case that would be damaging.

>--
>Larry Lynch
>Mystic, Ct.
>
>Is that called advertisng?
>
>Gerrit

December 22, 2004 11:43:09 AM

In article <41c8d421.20388547@Netnews.Comcast.net>, no_email@please_post.net
says...
> Often people will assume a value dependant upon set prices. In which
> case that would be damaging.
>

> >--
> >Larry Lynch
> >Mystic, Ct.
> >
> >Is that called advertisng?
> >
> >Gerrit

My prices are set by me, on an event basis.

Part of my price is the PITA factor, as some events are held in locations
that are a big pain in the butt, for one reason or another.

Other things factored in include (but not limited to): Is it a multiple day
event, requiring a Hotel/Motel stay, does the site owner charge a "vendor
fee" for on site photography, does the group involved provide thier own
backdrop for posed shots, or must I provide one (some groups INSIST I use a
backdrop provided by them, others do not).

By the time I get to the event Im going to shoot, all these details have been
worked out, and I will have met with the entire group, or at least the Board
of directors of the group, and the "rules of the road" have been ironed out
and prices have been set for that event.

To answer Gerrits' question, Advertising is how I "charge out" the freebies,
unless Im dumb enough to let a few free shots escape without my name or logo
no them.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

In article <MPG.1c331dcc43f9428a98988a@news.comcast.giganews.com>,
Larry <lastingimagery@comcast.dotnet> wrote:

> unless Im dumb enough to let a few free shots escape without my name or logo
> no them.

What is the preferred method for such marking of images? (Mac OSX)

:)
JR
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 1:20:30 PM

In article <vS9yd.72854$ka2.68812@fed1read04>,
"Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:

> > I went to a fire site once - firemen would stop just short of physically
> > picking up and carrying out anyone who insisted on going past the
> > lines... but wave a camera and flash a simple printed ID and they wave
> > you right on past.
>
> I've done that on four separate occasions.
> Heck, and I don't have a pass, or anything resembling an ID...
> -Funny how that works.
> :)

Same here. It's kinda awesome - and perhaps even a bit disconcerting if you
consider modern terrorism.

<sigh>
JR

(The bigger the lens, the more valid the backstage pass, real or faked.)
December 22, 2004 3:25:29 PM

In article <jim.redelfs-539A6D.09555122122004@news.central.cox.net>,
jim.redelfs@redelfs.com says...
> In article <MPG.1c331dcc43f9428a98988a@news.comcast.giganews.com>,
> Larry <lastingimagery@comcast.dotnet> wrote:
>
> > unless Im dumb enough to let a few free shots escape without my name or logo
> > no them.
>
> What is the preferred method for such marking of images? (Mac OSX)
>
> :)
> JR

For FREEBIES I simply place my logo fairly large in a location that is not
easily covered by a frame or disguised.

For photos that are paid for, the logo is very small and usually will be just
barely visible when the print is properly framed. (Sometimes it gets covered
if they matte the photo, they did, after all pay for the image.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

>From: "Mark²" mjmorgan(lowesteven number here)@cox..net

> **It is truly **AMAZING** what you can do
>without so much as a raised eyebrow when you confidently act like you
>belong, and are carrying a significant-looking rig. As silly as it may
>sound, police and emergency folks are impressed with big glass, and tend to
>asume you have some sort of "clearance" for being in places they would tend
>to kick other folks out of.

That works at football games as well.
Pigs dig the big glass.
Sometimes I wear my "Sports Illustrated" cap I bought for a dollar. It has
gotten me a little closer to Tiger Woods than I otherwise might.

>More and more, though, newspapers seem to be simply grabbing AP photos
>rather than generating their own.

This is very true. Our local paper used to send a writer and photographer down
to Augusta every year for the Masters golf tourney. When I asked the photo
editor about doing it he said, "We just grab pics off the AP."

He was equally flippant when I asked about doing other photo work for the
paper. "We only use staff photos and all of our photo staff have PJ degrees."
That is remarkable considering how unremarkable most of their photos are. Often
times if I'm down on the sidelines at a local football game, one of the paper's
degreed photojournalists (usually a 20-something girl) will ask me which team
has the ball and which direction they might be going. Without fail, I'll see
at least one pic from the game in the next morning's paper that would've been
deleted in camera if I had taken it.
Of course, they use Nikons so maybe that's the best they can get.
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 9:33:12 PM

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 10:20:30 -0600, Jim Redelfs
<jim.redelfs@redelfs.com> wrote:

>In article <vS9yd.72854$ka2.68812@fed1read04>,
> "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:
>
>> > I went to a fire site once - firemen would stop just short of physically
>> > picking up and carrying out anyone who insisted on going past the
>> > lines... but wave a camera and flash a simple printed ID and they wave
>> > you right on past.
>>
>> I've done that on four separate occasions.
>> Heck, and I don't have a pass, or anything resembling an ID...
>> -Funny how that works.
>> :)
>
>Same here. It's kinda awesome - and perhaps even a bit disconcerting if you
>consider modern terrorism.

Not so much disconcerting if experience proves otherwise, not to
mention the weight of anonymous posts in a public forum.

> <sigh>
>JR
>
>(The bigger the lens, the more valid the backstage pass, real or faked.)
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 9:33:13 PM

"ZONED!" <no_email@please_post.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 10:20:30 -0600, Jim Redelfs
> <jim.redelfs@redelfs.com> wrote:

> >> I've done that on four separate occasions.
> >> Heck, and I don't have a pass, or anything resembling an ID...
> >> -Funny how that works.
> >> :)
> >
> >Same here. It's kinda awesome - and perhaps even a bit disconcerting if
you
> >consider modern terrorism.
>
> Not so much disconcerting if experience proves otherwise, not to
> mention the weight of anonymous posts in a public forum.

Hmmm... You sound like you don't believe these accounts/stories.
Anonymous
December 23, 2004 12:38:48 AM

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 12:09:03 -0800, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even
number here)@cox..net> wrote:

>"ZONED!" <no_email@please_post.net> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 10:20:30 -0600, Jim Redelfs
>> <jim.redelfs@redelfs.com> wrote:

>physically
>wave

>> >Same here. It's kinda awesome - and perhaps even a bit disconcerting if
>you
>> >consider modern terrorism.
>>
>> Not so much disconcerting if experience proves otherwise, not to
>> mention the weight of anonymous posts in a public forum.
>
>Hmmm... You sound like you don't believe these accounts/stories.

Neither here nor there, I just am not worried about such posts and any
relevence to terrorists. ;o) Pointing out that everything posted on
line may not all be absolutely true in every sense may get some people
upset. That is not my intention.
Anonymous
December 23, 2004 12:38:49 AM

> On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 12:09:03 -0800, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even
> number here)@cox..net> wrote:
>

> >"ZONED!" <no_email@please_post.net> wrote in message

> >physically
> >wave

> >you
> >>
> >> Not so much disconcerting if experience proves otherwise, not to
> >> mention the weight of anonymous posts in a public forum.
> >
> >Hmmm... You sound like you don't believe these accounts/stories.
>
> Neither here nor there, I just am not worried about such posts and any
> relevence to terrorists. ;o) Pointing out that everything posted on
> line may not all be absolutely true in every sense may get some people
> upset. That is not my intention.

Ah. I thought you were referring to my post about walking into situations
with a camera where I wouldn't be allowed to otherwise.
Anonymous
December 23, 2004 1:51:08 AM

In article <20041222100127.21925.00002475@mb-m06.aol.com>, annika1980@aol.com
says...
> Often
> times if I'm down on the sidelines at a local football game, one of the paper's
> degreed photojournalists (usually a 20-something girl) will ask me which team
> has the ball and which direction they might be going. Without fail, I'll see
> at least one pic from the game in the next morning's paper that would've been
> deleted in camera if I had taken it.
> Of course, they use Nikons so maybe that's the best they can get.

Are you still (years later) trolling on about how the brand of the camera
determines the composition of the photos? You still haven't grown up
from your brand-loyalty disease eh?
Anonymous
December 23, 2004 1:51:09 AM

"Randy Howard" <randyhoward@FOOverizonBAR.net> wrote in message
> In article <20041222100127.21925.00002475@mb-m06.aol.com>,
annika1980@aol.com
> says...
> > Often
> > times if I'm down on the sidelines at a local football game, one of the
paper's
> > degreed photojournalists (usually a 20-something girl) will ask me which
team
> > has the ball and which direction they might be going. Without fail,
I'll see
> > at least one pic from the game in the next morning's paper that would've
been
> > deleted in camera if I had taken it.
> > Of course, they use Nikons so maybe that's the best they can get.
>
> Are you still (years later) trolling on about how the brand of the camera
> determines the composition of the photos? You still haven't grown up
> from your brand-loyalty disease eh?

It's all with a wink and a smile, Randy.
Don't take it too seriously.
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 1:40:11 AM

Dean,

They are your images, do as you wish. If this is a hobby for you, then
feel free to give them away. I would charge a small fee for each image
(just for your time and effort). The real question is this:

Are you giving away the farm?
Technically, the papers can claim that you gave them the images and that
you have no more rights to use them. In example, to give/sell to another
periodical, after all, you gave them the image.

The minimum I would do in your case is draw up an agreement stating that
you retain total ownership of the image and that you are simply licensing
the images to them (for free, of course) for "X" amount of time, in "X"
publication and at "X" size.

If you are already doing this, I apologize for rambling.

Gary

On Mon, 20 Dec
2004 22:51:50 -0500, Dean S. Lautermilch®²ºº³ wrote:

> I am 'into' street photography' and have been covering local protests. Two
> of my shots are being used on a web site to cover a current labor protest. I
> was wondering if anyone had documentation to what you need to do so that you
> can easily sell images to newspapers?
>
> The first two images on the following URL are mine. They do give me credit
> if you pause your mouse. I had already given them permission at the protest
> as for me it is 'practice'. I'm not doing it for the money but having a
> camera at these events means you might capture a priceless moment.
> http://www.seiu11.org/action/vigil1216/index.cfm
>
> My current images with a number of protests.
> http://www.pbase.com/lautermilch
December 31, 2004 10:35:38 AM

I have attempted to give my images away and I guess they are just not
good enough. I have set up a website, bought space on imageevent,
cropped, enhanced, and adjusted and still no one wants them as FREE.
Do I need to charge for them so they think they are getting value?

Start here http://dvds4bmx.com/ look around and please offer hints on
what I need to change.

Thanks!
BobSam
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 1:10:29 PM

"BobS" <Catsue26@yahoo.com> wrote let it be known in

> I have attempted to give my images away and I guess they
> are just not good enough. I have set up a website, bought
> space on imageevent, cropped, enhanced, and adjusted and
> still no one wants them as FREE. Do I need to charge for
> them so they think they are getting value?
>
> Start here http://dvds4bmx.com/ look around and please
> offer hints on what I need to change.
>
> Thanks!
> BobSam

There is certainly a perception out there in general that
something has no value unless it costs money. But the other
thing you are up against is that there are so many sports
photos (and so many parents now with digital cameras) that you
would have to capture a pretty spectacular shot to get any
attention.

Your photos are very nice, but remember you are also
presenting them to a public that sometimes can't tell a
'good' photo from a snapshot with their old 110 camera.

One thing you may need to decide (something I am still working
on myself) is if your goal is to get pictures of every player
and every moment of the game, or is it to get a few premium
shots of each event?

If it is the latter, you should edit your photos down to just
the four or five 'best' from every event. Don't even show the
others. If you only get one shot from a game that really
pleases YOU, just put that one shot online! That will leave
the impression with viewers that everything you do is good.
Why show your 2nd best and make people dig through them to get
to the good stuff?
December 31, 2004 7:15:59 PM

I would have to wonder how much sucsess you will have with such a limited
market (just parents and family of players) and being online and all. Still
a lot of people out there that don't even have e-mail, or if they do, they
can't remember it.

!