LAN connection problems

Tyg13

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
I've been having issues with my LAN, mainly the fact that it'll work for maybe a minute or so when I turn on my computer, but after that it thinks that my network cable is unplugged. I know for a fact that that cable works, because I've swapped it with a cable from one of my other computers and they both work perfectly fine on my other comp. I'm able to disable my connection and then reenable it, and it works again, but again only for a moment.

This is starting to get extremely annoying, as I've tried to reinstall the drivers multiple times and with limited success. Originally, I would be unable to get the device working again once it was disabled. However, after installing the drivers off Gigabyte's site, I'm now able to properly disable and reenable the device.

Any have any insight? Should I try updating my bios or fiddling with the settings or something? It's getting real annoying having my internet drop out every couple of minutes.

Network Card: Realtek built-in NIC card

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-880GMA-USB3

Tyg13

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
I've had this computer built since April, so I doubt that there were problems with the build. It's been about a week since this started happening on this comp and it's worked completely fine in the months prior. I have Avast installed and I've had it running a scan with no visible infections.

I don't know what's going on, but I just enabled and reenabled it again and it's working now, but I haven't restarted the computer to see if it's going to break upon restart.

hairystuff

Distinguished
which router or switch are you using, with realtek, dynamode and some d-link gigabit lan interfaces I've had issues with connections to netgear GBit switches, try lowering the speed of the LAN to 100mbit half duplex or even 10 mbit and see if it makes any difference (10mbits might be unacceptable speed wise).

Tyg13

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
I'm using a d-link router which is hooking directly into my modem. I'll try lowering the LAN speed, cause I'm still having problems. Just now my LAN went offline and I had to restart it again.

Tyg13

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
Yeah, I went to Gigabyte's website and downloaded the drivers for my NIC card, so I'm pretty sure it's not an issue with them, unless there's some kind of bug with the most recent update.

Tyg13

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
The router is a D-Link DIR-615E3. I'm not sure if the power supply is failing. Correct me if I'm wrong, though, but if I'm able to restart the NIC card to restore my connection, then the router itself wouldn't be an issues, right?

If that's the case. But it could be the NIC card.

hairystuff

Distinguished
The problem my friend got was the connection would be fine for about 20-30 mins then it would drop, if you unplugged the network cable and plugged it back in it would work fine for a bit then it would go again, he's router was I think a DL-624+, its usually the 5v supplies that fail on the d-link routers but not the 12v ones, anyway when I checked his supply it was reading around 4.7volts without load and 4volts with load, I tried a Uniross 2200mah universal adjustable PSU and it solved the problem. I haven't seen the PSU issue on DIR-615 though (newer revision psu), in this case I'd try nikorr's suggestion with a new NIC.

Tyg13

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
I'll definitely try buying a new NIC card. I was hoping I wouldn't have to, but as I can see no other solution, I suppose it'll have to do.

Thanks for the help!