Sign in with
Your question

How best to upgrade?

Last response: in Storage
September 17, 2012 8:15:56 AM

Ok so I have arrived at the point where I need to upgrade my storage and am tempted to think about introducing an SSD for my os.

My current drive configuration is this:

2 x 500 gb WD Cavier Blue drives. With the whole of the space on each drive in one partition, Drive C and D.
The OS is obviously on drive C (x63 Win 7 ultimate Upgrade from XP)

Drive C now has only 73gb free and drive D just 86. I'm told running a Hard drive at over half physical capacity slows it down.

My mother board is a GB-EP45-UDM and so only has 2 x 3gb/s sata 2 slots. (and 6 other sata 2 slots but the specs don't rate them at 3gb/s this is where my current hard drives are, as these can be put in raid which was my original intention.

So there is no sata 3.

My firs tidea was to get an 120 gb ssd for the os. I realise now however, that I couldn't use disk imaging to copy the os over to the new drive as they are different sizes. This would leave me with the task of installing xp on an ssd so I could then install my win 7 upgrade on it. Or to format a 120gb partition and reinstall into that to copy over.

However, without sata 3 would this really give me a performance boost that is worth with the effort? Or shoul dI think about a fast sata 2 drive and simply move my data about?

I could of course get a much larger drive 1 or 2 tb, use that for my data and then raid the old cavier's to put the os on and so speed it up?

What do we think would be the best idea?

Thanks for any advice!

More about : upgrade

September 17, 2012 10:59:34 AM

RAID 0 is a risky setup. Should one drive fail, unless you have a backup solution for the RAID setup, I would advise against it.

If I were you, this is how I would upgrade. Buy a 120GB SSD and a 1TB HDD. On SSD, install Windows 7, and on 1TB HDD setup apps and games. I would store data on the two existing 500GB HDDs
m
l
September 17, 2012 12:26:27 PM

The size difference between the HDD and SSD doesn't matter, as long as whatever you want to image from the HDD to the SSD doesn't exceed the SSD capacity.

In your case which it does exceed, you have 4 options:
1) like you said, do a fresh install and upgrade to win7.
2) back up whatever data you need on the second drive / burn it on disks / flash drive / external drives, or delete whatever you don't need.
3) buy an extra 1 or 2 tb drive and move everything there, this way you could also get rid of the smaller drives or use them as back ups.

4) options 1 & 3.

I would go with #4
m
l
Related resources
September 17, 2012 12:53:16 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, any advice on which hdd to try/avoid?

If I went for option 4 (IE 1 and 3) I could keep the old os installed on the smaller drives. Then if I have too much trouble getting the SSD driver ready for xp, I can always plug those drives back in temporarily?
m
l
September 17, 2012 1:01:58 PM

You have a windows 7 serial right? It comes with the upgrade and is just as valid as any serial in a retail windows 7 box. Just download Windows 7 (I think anyone can download a free trial via MSDN, otherwise there are plenty to be found elsewhere) and enter your own serial. That way there is no hassle with windows xp.
As for an SSD performance on SATA II, do not fear, it will still give you a HUGE boost in speed!

good luck
m
l
September 17, 2012 5:53:22 PM

MoridinUK said:
Thanks for the suggestions, any advice on which hdd to try/avoid?

If I went for option 4 (IE 1 and 3) I could keep the old os installed on the smaller drives. Then if I have too much trouble getting the SSD driver ready for xp, I can always plug those drives back in temporarily?

Yes, just set the SSD as the primary boot device in BIOS and you should be fine.
I would unplug the current OS drive if you are going for the fresh install.

And what do you mean by try/avoid, your current ones or buying a new one?
m
l
a c 187 G Storage
September 17, 2012 6:12:19 PM

However, without sata 3 would this really give me a performance boost that is worth with the effort? Yes, you will love the performance boost even with your connections. :D 
m
l
September 17, 2012 6:41:43 PM

Thomas_89 said:
You have a windows 7 serial right? It comes with the upgrade and is just as valid as any serial in a retail windows 7 box. Just download Windows 7 (I think anyone can download a free trial via MSDN, otherwise there are plenty to be found elsewhere) and enter your own serial. That way there is no hassle with windows xp.
As for an SSD performance on SATA II, do not fear, it will still give you a HUGE boost in speed!

good luck

Well I had a terrible time getting it installed the first time. It told me the serial was an upgrade and that I hadn't upgraded, when I had. (If I remember right I think I let it start by formatting the drive rather than telling it to upgrade, being told it has to do a fresh install (32 bit x p to 64 bit win7) and then reformatting the drive.

So I had to do the whole thing again, except I had to install xp first. AS I didn't have a floppy drive it was at this point I gave up on the raid.

Do I not have to have a os already installed on the drive to use my upgrade serial code?
m
l
September 17, 2012 6:44:09 PM

Vukodlak said:

And what do you mean by try/avoid, your current ones or buying a new one?

I mean any advice on which to buy. As my two 500 gb are kinda full I'm going to need another storage/data/games+apps drive before I can even think about shrinking my C drive to the 80gb I'd need to transfer to the SSD.

By try/avoid I meant which should I buy and which should I not...
m
l
September 17, 2012 7:28:08 PM

Well I have an upgrade cd but I bought it as a student. I think it should be the same as the retail product though... :)  Thanks again for the info.
m
l
October 8, 2012 9:55:38 AM

Ok this is all very good, but now I have another Idea. TO save me down loading loads of updates, could I download the win7 Ult full retail sp1 iso from digital river and use my upgrade win7 ult activation code as described in the above link?

:) 
m
l
a c 187 G Storage
October 8, 2012 3:11:08 PM

No you need to use the upgrade key with upgrade media.
m
l
October 8, 2012 4:19:36 PM

Thanks you just saved me some time!
m
l
!