Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need help immediately (Mobo for LGA1155 socket)

Last response: in Motherboards
April 22, 2011 5:12:57 AM

hey i am going to build a sandybridge based rig and so i need a nice gaming grade mobo and its recommended memory ..

My config is as below...

1. Intel core i7 2600k
2. Mobo as per your suggestions
3. RAM as per your suggestions
4. Corsair GS800 PSU
5. Nzxt Guardian 921RB Case
6. Msi n560 GTX Ti TwinFrozerII/OC

Any rectifications or upgrade in my above listed config is happily appreciated so please quote some suggestions for my board and memory or any upgrade.

Thank you all :D  :D 
April 22, 2011 6:36:30 AM

there are some more questions fluctuating my mind... intel is going to release its x79 chipset in the second half of this year..

1. so what the heck happened to x68 ??
2. will x79 chipset support the same sandy bridge processor(i5 2500k, i7 2600k and all that) that i am going to use with a p67 chipset ??
3. is sandybridge same as sandy bridge-E??
4. any ideas about the expected prices of x79 chipset ..??
Please do answer..
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 108 V Motherboard
April 22, 2011 7:38:43 PM

The exact chipset name is always up in the air until closer to release and they decided a half a year before it possibly comes out which I don't see a problem in that. SBE is socket 2011 and is not compatible with SB which is socket 1155. Prices are most likely going to be higher as x58 was to p55.

If its only for gaming, you could save $100 and get similar performance with a i5-2500k. Are you going to sli?
m
l
Related resources
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
April 22, 2011 7:55:52 PM

ANS:
1. Looks like the X68 is going to be skipped for the Z79. Intel
2. No, the Z79 is for the LGA 2011; the current Sandy Bridge CPUs are LGA 1155
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_chipsets#Cor...
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge#Desktop_proce...
3. No, the E is Extreme.
4. The best guess is +$200~+$300 LGA 2011 vs LGA 1155. Recently Intel added a 4-core to the LGA 2011 line.

This is subject to change. I'd expect the launch of LGA 2011 in mid-November to December.
m
l

Best solution

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 107 V Motherboard
April 22, 2011 10:28:19 PM

For current Sandy Bridge - Mainstream (SB-MS):
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X or Corsair Vengeance - 8GB (2x4GB) 1600 CL9 1.5v kit

Other questions:
1. X68 was skipped.
2. No. Socket 2011 CPUs only.
3. No. Sandy Bridge - Enthusiast (SB-E) is a much more powerful processor. Quad-channel memory, much larger L3 cache, 4-8 cores plus Hyperthreading, PCIe is version 3, more PCIe lanes, etc. They will also have at least one Extreme Edition with unlocked multipliers. Normal SB-E overclocking will be done with QPI/BCLK (whatever they call it) -- the clock generators are external again. Yippee!
4. More expensive. SB-E is going to be more expensive as well -- they will likely have a $999 version plus some less expensive ones ($500+).
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
April 23, 2011 12:21:37 AM

You know they'll have to have the $1,000 CPU it wouldn't be Intel not to stick it to you!

@ Leaps-from-Shadows - I 'hoped' PCIe 3.0, and I've seen the PCIe listed both ways as 2.x AND as 3.x, but in both cases x32 PCIe lanes :)  The cool but expensive thing is Quad Channel, break your VISA with 8X8GB even 8X4GB $400+. However, the QPI is the link between multiple CPUs.

However, I still think we're screwed with CPU Ratio dullness. Raise the Ratio + up the Vcore +0.1~+0.2v -- boring!

Here's the real crazy - you need either the LGA 1356 or LGA 2011 to get the 32-lanes, BUT using 6/6 or 8/8 does zip for Gaming so recently Intel added a 4/4, but the i5-2500K is the perfect Gaming CPU. In other words buying the 6 or 8 core does you no good. VERY FEW Games see much less use more than 2-cores and Hyper-Threading is ignored.
m
l
April 23, 2011 4:54:50 AM

well.. someone adviced me to with 2600k cause of something Hyperthreading.. feature that can be shut off/on whenever needed.. hence i wrote i7 2600k... if i5 is that good... then itz something good for me.. thanks.. :D 

and yes i will be using GTX 560 Ti in sli....
m
l
April 23, 2011 5:01:17 AM

i initially heard of x68 but later news stated that it was skipped.... but i was confused... and when i was building this config then i came to know about a z68 chipset that was a combo of both p67 and h67 as .. both p67 and h67 lacks in GPU OC and CPU OC respectively..... so i was just waiting and sorting out the release date of z68 as a replacement for p67/h67 and then i was stucked between these terms...

1. Sandy bridge -E
2. X79
3. Ivy bridge..

everything made me to think once more... i have concluded this ..

1. x79 chipset is for ivybridge
2. Sandybridge-E will be using x79 most probably sharing the same socket with ivybridge
3. z68 is for LGA1155 socket..

Please correct me if i am wrong....
m
l
April 23, 2011 5:04:56 AM

So SB-E is even better.. then what about ivybridge..?? are both the same and what about their sockets ..?
is there any news out regarding these two ...??

i heard from my mate that .. ivybridge and SB-E is going to share same socket on x79 chipset.. is that so..??
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 108 V Motherboard
April 23, 2011 5:12:37 AM

Ivy bridge is the die shrink of sandy bridge, referring to the sandy bridge architecture including sb mainstream and sb enthusiast. Ivy bridge mainstream is supposed to be compatible with current 1155 mobos but no concrete info is out about its chipset as it will most likely come out 2013 q1. So don't even worry about ivy bridge right now.
m
l
April 23, 2011 5:29:00 AM

okay so .. now i will be using i5 2500k .... now please suggest me a nice CPU cooler ....

can i use cooler master n620 on it... i am having nzxt phantom for my case...
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 107 V Motherboard
April 23, 2011 8:00:28 AM

jaquith said:
You know they'll have to have the $1,000 CPU it wouldn't be Intel not to stick it to you!

@ Leaps-from-Shadows - I 'hoped' PCIe 3.0, and I've seen the PCIe listed both ways as 2.x AND as 3.x, but in both cases x32 PCIe lanes :)  The cool but expensive thing is Quad Channel, break your VISA with 8X8GB even 8X4GB $400+. However, the QPI is the link between multiple CPUs.

However, I still think we're screwed with CPU Ratio dullness. Raise the Ratio + up the Vcore +0.1~+0.2v -- boring!

Here's the real crazy - you need either the LGA 1356 or LGA 2011 to get the 32-lanes, BUT using 6/6 or 8/8 does zip for Gaming so recently Intel added a 4/4, but the i5-2500K is the perfect Gaming CPU. In other words buying the 6 or 8 core does you no good. VERY FEW Games see much less use more than 2-cores and Hyper-Threading is ignored.

Apparently, SB-E's memory controller will automatically throttle memory down to a certain speed if more than one stick per channel is used. Some of the manufacturers are likely going to have four-slot configs because of this. Why have more when it will only make performance worse not better?

This here article gives me hope as to the overclocking situation for SB-E. The good stuff starts in the middle of the second paragraph below the picture. Oh, and it's DMI/BCLK, not QPI/BCLK ... I mis-remembered it.

From what I've read, all SB-Es have HyperThreading. So they would have 4/8, 6/12, and 8/16 versions. I haven't yet laid eyes on an article stating the existence of an eight-core version, but others apparently have as I've seen it mentioned in other threads. Of course, I may have missed an article here or there, as there seem to be hundreds or thousands of them floating around.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 107 V Motherboard
April 23, 2011 8:15:11 AM

There will be versions of Ivy Bridge that are compatible with the current LGA 1155 socket, but only "select versions of the 6-series chipset" which may mean only P67 not H67 or something like that. There will also be versions for the LGA 2011 socket (SB-E will likely be made into IB-E). And it's not just a die-shrink of Sandy Bridge like you'd think -- there's a bunch of enhancements on the 22nm process.
m
l
April 23, 2011 8:41:25 AM

Best answer selected by himanshuas2711.
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
April 23, 2011 3:15:12 PM

I can 'see' best answer selected, after gold there's no platinum. It's not anyone here with incorrect info, there is conflicting information from reliable sources that make anyone confused.

Regarding the IMC, yes of course I know that you don't have to install 4X_GB kits and I'm confident that there will be Dual,Tri & Quad Channel arrangements -- though it would be 'goofy' to do it that way; like putting in Dual Channel in X58/LGA 1366. The QPI is CPU <-> CPU, then regarding that article I don't believe it is correct - "enthusiasts will be able to boost clock-speed of microprocessors using traditional methods by increasing DMI frequencies" the Sandy Bridge architecture moved the PCIe etc to reduce latency to the CPU prohibiting BCLK OC and again I seriously doubt it will be possible. The whole point of SB would otherwise be a step backwards; as crazy as its been WTH maybe - but duh!?

Actually, the first 2 SB-E 'leaked' were 6 & 8 cores, or 6/6 & 8/8. And not until 4~6 weeks ago a 4/4 was added to the list. More cores is great for processing, I was simply making a point it does little good for gaming. Last year I built an SR-2 rig with two (2) Intel Xeon X5670 with 2x6/6 or 24 Threads the benchmarks were off the charts but the gaming wasn't any better than my 980X with 6/6.

We have to sort through the rumor mills and until confirmation or in this case Intel leaked documentation or confirmed. Still it's interesting to speculate -- no wrong answers. BTW - Intel up to the last minute could turn it all on its side and change everything.

Z79 Chipset - notice no PCIe 3:

Wiki's version -> CPU 'Extreme' -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge#Desktop_proce...
Wiki's version -> and PCIe 3.x -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_2011

Chipset time line:
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 107 V Motherboard
April 23, 2011 4:51:46 PM

lol I misunderstood the 4/4, 6/6, and 8/8 terms you were using, which is why I mentioned HyperThreading at all.

And I firmly believe that Intel was screwing with us when they moved the clock generator internally on the SB-MS processors. It's just as easy for them to have external clock generators and locked PCIe/PCI/SATA/USB/etc frequencies like they have in previous generations of CPUs/boards. They didn't have to do it, which is why I believe the article I linked.

Intel is going to have boards with eight memory slots, but MSI (and probably the other manufacturers) is going to have at least some boards with only four slots. That's why I said something about the four-slot config. I read in the same article that the memory controller will throttle down when you install more than four sticks, which is the reason for the MSI and others to only have four slots.
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
April 23, 2011 7:01:03 PM

I'd never buy a 4-Channel MOBO with 4 DIMM slots, reminds me of the bastardized X58 Intel MOBO with 3+1 DIMM slots.

Again, who knows what they'll {Intel} do, a friggin new chipset every quarter is nuts. Frankly makes me angry :fou: 

What's screwing with my mind is -- I ass-u-med LGA 1366 => LGA 2011 {32 lanes} ; BUT it seems more like LGA 1366 => LGA 1356 {24 lanes}. Worst is if it's PCIe 2.x or PCIe 3.x without native GPU(s)??!! If it's 24 lanes then this seems more like a 'side grade' than an upgrade even if it's PCIe 3.0; the GPU's:
[1] 2.x GPU running on a 3.x PCIe is more than likely reduce the bandwidth to PCIe 2.x bandwidth ; loss of 1/2 bandwidth
[2] Running {P67} x8/x8 vs {Z79} x16/x8 ; x8/x8/x8 is a tiny/useless improvement vs X58 x16/x16 ; x8/x8/x8/x8
[3] Running a NF200 on top of 24 lanes of PCIe 3.x seems dumb by adding latency to recover bandwidth

Worst the QPI x2 on the LGA 2011 screams, to me, that platform is meant for Dual CPUs; OR Chipset Z79 <=QPI=> SB-E CPU which adds latency; OR BOTH. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b...

IMO the 'Ideal Arrangement' is the LGA 2011 with 32-lanes of PCIe 3.0, Quad Channel {8 DIMM}, AND 'NEW' GPUs with PCIe 3.0 running x8 {equivalent to x16 PCIe 2.x} as the X58 replacement. In other words PCIe 3.0 x/8/x8/x8/x8 = equaling in bandwidth = PCIe 2.x x16/x16/x16/x16!!!

IMO the LGA 1356 sucks and seems to be a waste!
m
l
!