GeForce 8600 GT Freezing/Crashing

cs_zelot

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
Hello people of Tom's Hardware I was just making another post with a serious issue dealing with my GeForce 8600 GT.

I've been temporarily forced to use an old GeForce 8600 GT but every time I attempt to run a game that should easily be in it's range of capabilities (I.E. Heroes of Newerth or World of Warcraft) it will freeze and often crash shortly after opening.

I'm using a 550W power supply so overheating is not an issue.

Anyone got any ideas or had this similar issue?

cs_zelot

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
I've been trying to check my GPU temp when I'm running WoW but I'm getting the same result every time I open it. Audio goes into repetition before freezing and crashing. Can't even alt-tab to check the GPU temp.

It's running at 53 degrees C normally.

I've been able to run Heroes of Newerth, a less challenging game for sure but it recorded my GPU temperature ranging between 53-56 degrees C while running it. Still freezes for long periods of time, sometimes crashes completely.

gaming = high system load = crash, so logically it may not be gaming but high system load etc, dont be so quick to blame system components etc

download and run some testing tools - memtest, prime95, furmark etc

also whats your psu brand and the rest of your system specs

cs_zelot

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
Windows XP
AMD Athalon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+
ASUS M2N32-SLI Delux Motherboard
Verto GeForce 8600 GT
Antec 550W GPU

I'll give some of those tools a try, any further suggestions are much appreciated :D

jsevans8

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
This thread has been idle for quite some time now but I am experiencing the same issue and was wondering how/if this was resolved. I have run GPU-z and my temps spike at 75C but I don't have data from an actual crash/freeze.