GeForce 8600 GT Freezing/Crashing

Hello people of Tom's Hardware I was just making another post with a serious issue dealing with my GeForce 8600 GT.

I've been temporarily forced to use an old GeForce 8600 GT but every time I attempt to run a game that should easily be in it's range of capabilities (I.E. Heroes of Newerth or World of Warcraft) it will freeze and often crash shortly after opening.

I'm using a 550W power supply so overheating is not an issue.

Anyone got any ideas or had this similar issue?
10 answers Last reply
More about geforce 8600 freezing crashing
  1. Just because you have a PSU powerful enough to run a 8600GT does not mean it won't overheat. You need to run a program called GPU-Z (just google it) it will tell you how hot your card is getting.
  2. Do you have any problems when you are not gaming?
  3. Nope none when I'm not gaming.
  4. Check with gpu z your temps when you are gaming and reply.
  5. I've been trying to check my GPU temp when I'm running WoW but I'm getting the same result every time I open it. Audio goes into repetition before freezing and crashing. Can't even alt-tab to check the GPU temp.

It's running at 53 degrees C normally.

I've been able to run Heroes of Newerth, a less challenging game for sure but it recorded my GPU temperature ranging between 53-56 degrees C while running it. Still freezes for long periods of time, sometimes crashes completely.
  6. gaming = high system load = crash, so logically it may not be gaming but high system load etc, dont be so quick to blame system components etc

download and run some testing tools - memtest, prime95, furmark etc

also whats your psu brand and the rest of your system specs
  7. Windows XP
    AMD Athalon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+
    ASUS M2N32-SLI Delux Motherboard
    Verto GeForce 8600 GT
    Antec 550W GPU

I'll give some of those tools a try, any further suggestions are much appreciated :D
  8. This thread has been idle for quite some time now but I am experiencing the same issue and was wondering how/if this was resolved. I have run GPU-z and my temps spike at 75C but I don't have data from an actual crash/freeze.
  9. mine did exactly the same thing yesterday too. still trying to find solutions.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Tom's Hardware World Of Warcraft Geforce Graphics