Sign in with
Your question

Hard drive plugged into media centre fell not working

Last response: in Storage
September 17, 2012 12:56:06 PM

Hello,
I had my 3tb harddrive plugged into the media centre so I could watch "Gossip Girl"
then the tearful moment was when it got knocked of my drawers, I don't think it hit anything it was caught, there may have been a chance it lightly tapped the edge of the draw.

The media centre still works but wont recognise any USB i plug into it, the harddrive still turns on when the powerpoint is in but wont be recognised,have tried it on different computers.

are they both stuffed, is there a chance its just the USB bits that are broken from the yank when it dropped?
September 17, 2012 1:03:37 PM

easiest way to tell if it is the USB wire or the hard drive itself would be to plug it into a computer running windows, after it is plugged in check the device manager for the drive, if it is there then it is not the usb wire, if it is not there, there is a good chance the wire was messed up in some way. drives that are dropped are still usually recognized because only the spinning discs are damaged when it falls, the other components stay intact meaning the drive can be seen by the computer, but can not be accessed due to their being no way to read the data on the drive.
m
l
a b G Storage
September 17, 2012 2:42:33 PM

nicky_92 said:
Hello,
I had my 3tb harddrive plugged into the media centre so I could watch "Gossip Girl"
then the tearful moment was when it got knocked of my drawers, I don't think it hit anything it was caught, there may have been a chance it lightly tapped the edge of the draw.

The media centre still works but wont recognise any USB i plug into it, the harddrive still turns on when the powerpoint is in but wont be recognised,have tried it on different computers.

are they both stuffed, is there a chance its just the USB bits that are broken from the yank when it dropped?

Are you able to remove the drive from within its enclosure? If so, then you may proceed to connect the drive to a system.

How old is the drive, if less than 3-5 years (depending on the model of the drive), have it RMA'd.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
September 18, 2012 4:27:35 PM

Is the drive making any noise that it wasn't making before? Usually a sign that the drive was damaged in the drop. If it's not under warranty you could pull the drive out of the enclosure to connect it to a system. Try a different USB cord, it's possible the fall may have damaged it, check the usb connector on the external drive to see if it's loose or it looks like it's broken.

Edit: If the usb connection on the external drive does look broken and the data is valuable then i would open the enclosure but if the data is replaceable i'd just RMA the drive if it's still under warranty.
m
l
a b G Storage
September 18, 2012 5:09:00 PM

When the disks are spinning even a sudden stop (without impact) can create excessive G-loads on the drive. The only way to know is to plug it into a working computer as a second drive and see if it is detected.
m
l
!