Missing Files Due to Virus

noone998

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
My computer can't seem to detect folders on my external hard drive. But it works fine on other computers. I have tried system restore, unhidden files, restarting the computer, tried a different port.

Update : Found out it is a virus. The folders would show if i UNCHECK “ Hide protected operating system files”. The virus hides the folders and makes an exe file with a folder icon that point to your original folder. But i can't seem to undo this problem. Any help would be much appriciated.

ELMO_2006

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012

Are these 2.5 or 3.5" HDD's?

ELMO_2006

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012

You may want to create a bootable Linux CD to which you want to boot the pc from. Once in Linux, you should be able to perform various tasks i.e. use a Linux based AV to scan and repair the files.

Please keep in mind, that the files may not be recoverable.

Last resort would be to format the drive and try to recover lost files from said drive but this is a LAST RESORT and no guarantees are provided - perform at your own risk!

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
Were these files detected as a virus? If these files are irreplaceable maybe try burning them to a dvd or cd. I don't know if it would help though. Check your antivirus software to see if these files are quarantined.. it might be possible to view what the virus is.