Moving just the OS to new ssd drive

Is there a way to move just the OS (win 7) from my existing boot drive to a new SSD drive? I want to leave my programs intact and running on the old boot drive. Is this possible or am I looking at a fresh install for everything.
8 answers Last reply
More about moving drive
  1. it's possible, but not worth the work IMO - a fresh install of the OS, and then insalling the progs on the HDD are the preferred method, and the cleanest, providing the drives are wiped

    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/270102-32-useful-articles-part
  2. I guess I figured as much, lol. Getting lazy in my old age but still want to do things right. One way to look at it is i get the chance to NOT install all those programs I haven't used in a long time.

    Thanks for the reply.
  3. Maybe I'm missing something here. What's wrong with just installing W7 fresh on the new SSD and then using the old HDD as a second drive? Even if you could "move" the OS from one drive to another, your old programs would all be looking for the OS on the old HDD.
  4. ram1009 said:
    Maybe I'm missing something here. What's wrong with just installing W7 fresh on the new SSD and then using the old HDD as a second drive? Even if you could "move" the OS from one drive to another, your old programs would all be looking for the OS on the old HDD.

    ...you basically rephrased what I said already... :whistle:
  5. I was trying to avoid re-installing my applications. I've decided to just do a fresh install as suggested.
  6. dingo07 said:
    ...you basically rephrased what I said already... :whistle:



    Really? Where did I say it was "possible" to move only an OS from one drive to another? I didn't, mostly because it isn't possible. And, where did I say anything about wiping drives which is a completely inappropriate response to the OP? Also, where did you suggest using the old HDD as a second drive? The only commonality I see is suggesting a fresh install. Actually, it's the only option to cloning the HDD.
  7. ram1009 said:
    ... where did you suggest using the old HDD as a second drive? The only commonality I see is suggesting a fresh install...

    OK, so you now Made me Prove what you said is what I said first... when it's clear for the world to read from the posts prior.

    I'll start here with what I was first to post...

    "a fresh install of the OS, and then insalling the progs on the HDD are the preferred method"

    then you said...

    "What's wrong with just installing W7 fresh on the new SSD and then using the old HDD as a second drive?"

    I think you must've bumped your head recently, because those are basically the same statements - perhaps you weren't smart enough to realize the SSD is the "OS" in my sentence and the HDD is clearly another drive

    WTF
  8. dingo07 said:
    OK, so you now Made me Prove what you said is what I said first... when it's clear for the world to read from the posts prior.

    I'll start here with what I was first to post...

    "a fresh install of the OS, and then insalling the progs on the HDD are the preferred method"

    then you said...

    "What's wrong with just installing W7 fresh on the new SSD and then using the old HDD as a second drive?"

    I think you must've bumped your head recently, because those are basically the same statements - perhaps you weren't smart enough to realize the SSD is the "OS" in my sentence and the HDD is clearly another drive

    WTF



    Get back on your meds. FYI, your post wasn't even visible when I was writing mine. None of this makes a bit of difference to me. Go find someone else to stalk.
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Boot Storage