Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 22, 2011 10:54:24 AM

Hi,

I'm running a somewhat aged Asus A8V-E Deluxe mobo in my PC, with:
AMX Athlon XP 3500+ cpu
GeForce 9600GT 512mb PCI-E graphics card
420w PSU

It's been running happily with two 512Mb sticks of DDR400 ram installed (from a company called vData) for a while now, no problems with the PC at all. I've now bought two sticks of DDR400 1Gb Crucial Value Select memory, which I fitted, and now the PC refuses to start. It will turn on, the mobo LEDs come on, fans on the PSU, CPU cooler, graphics card all fire up, but that's all, and no POST beeps come out. I've tried fitting the old memory back in but the same thing happens, I've also tried fitting some other memory that the PC used to use and as far as I know is still working. The PC will not shut down if I hold the power button down so I have to turn it off at the mains.

If I remove all of the ram sticks and start it up, however, it issues 1 long beep and 2 short beeps repeatedly, the hard drives spin up, and I can shut the PC down by holding the power button down for about 4 to 5 seconds.

Any thoughts on what's up with it? I'm aware that the PSU is low wattage but it has been running happily for over a year with this set up without problems.

Thanks, Mike
a b V Motherboard
April 22, 2011 11:44:04 AM

I would clear the cmos..(manual will show how to do this.) Install the new ram in the slots recomended for dual channel and try booting to the bios screen.
The new ram might have different timings and voltage than the old ram....
If you can get there, then you should be able to do a full boot to windows.
Because it's an old system...you might not have touched any parts inside it for a long while, so I would make sure that the video card and connectors are seated properly.
If you have lost your motherboard book here is a link to the pdf version...
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket939/A8V-E_Del...
Hope this helps..please respond...and give full system details for ram,psu,etc.
JQ
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 22, 2011 3:26:36 PM

Hi,

I've cleared the cmos but no change I'm afraid. I've been through and checked all pieces of kit are seated okay.

Further specs:

The PSU is a Codegen 420w PSU
The new ram is 2 x 2Gb 168-pin DDR 400Mhz DIMMs, Corsair Value Select no. VS1GB400C3 latency 3-3-3-8
The old ram is 2 x 512Mb 168-pin DDR 400Mhz DIMMs, Vdata Memory Expert MDGVD5F3H4860K1E02 latency 2.5-3-3-8
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 22, 2011 3:55:07 PM

Idiot! Moron! Fool!!!!!

It might help if I turn the smegging DIMMs round so they go into the slots the right way!!!!

Sorry for taking your time... 2Gb detected, system running perfectly...

Now just got to install the SATA hard drive...
!