cdowell1972

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
Hi All,

New here and had a question or 2 for ya! New to HTPC builds not new to networking and computer builds. I am wanting to build a home network, using my current PC, wanting to run XBMC and have a few of my TV's hooked up to stream Netflix, movies etc. My question is: I am new to home NAS builds, I want to have storage attached to the Network, able to stream videos with no lag, hot swappable HDD for redundancy, very user friendly and able to grow with my needs (able to add more storage.) Also, don't want to break the bank. Thinking like 2 - 2TB drives to start, running in whatever raid array will work best Raid 1 I assume. Please advise as my brain is hurting with all the research. Like I said, this is mainly a HTPC build with Videos, Pics, Home movies and some data backup. I know this has probably been addressed several times but I can't find anything exactly like what I'm looking for. This is a Windows 7 build too by the way.

lostbok

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
My recommendation is always to run a very light HTPC (minimal fans or spindle drives - so run the OS on a USB / SSD / flash - like the Popcorn Hour).... and then have a separate set of NAS disks at the other end of long piece of CAT6E (i.e. run network cable to a separate room)...

I've got a 7Tb media server (Opteron165 running, server 2008, 5 disk hot-swap SATA cage) in the electricity cupboard, only power cable + NIC plugged in and a Popcorn Hour (the old PCH-A110) next to the TiVo in the lounge... and CAT5 under the floorboards.

That way you're mucking about and expanding your storage on a device that's designed for that.... and playing your movies on hardware designed for that.

Fact is that HTPC's don't make great devices for stacking loads of storage in... too little space to be generating lots of heat, so you'll trash your drives.