Laptop SSD and HDD

zackb101

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
Hello all :)

I'm buying a laptop soon. It's a custom built Clevo latop. It's the w350ETQ. Currently there's a deal where you can choose to upgrade to a 750gb hard drive or 500gb hard drive with 4gb SSD. I chose the 500gb and SSD deal.

My question is, since I'm new to this sort of thing, what should I load onto the SSD and how?

I know, a very noobish question, but i've never dealt with an SSD or 2 storage drives before.

drums101

Distinguished
I have a feeling that the 500gb with 4gb ssd is a hybrid harddrive...meaning that it is a mechanical 500gb harddrive with 4gb of flash memory built in for caching...IMO this was not a good choice...these drives barely show any performance increase from standard mechanical drives...as far as loading things onto your laptop this ssd + mechanical hdd combo is actually one drive so everything would be loaded directly on to that....you could always swap this drive out for a full fledged ssd for more performance or if you have a second HDD bay you could add a ssd in there

zackb101

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011

I looked further into it and it is a hybrid drive. I cannot go back now, as the deal is over. Are Hybrid Drives really that bad?

Edit: Also, do i need to do anything special with the Hybrid. I'm seeing that they're faster at opening programs and booting windows. Or is it all set from the get go. The laptop doesn't come pre-loaded with an operating system.