jebvon

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
Hi, I am considering to get a desktop and am in a dilemma on which to get or even DIY my own com. After much shopping, I saw two coms, one HP P6590D and the other, a FX Series 6831-01g, a Gateway product.

Below are the specifications for both coms,

(what i felt was important to look out for)
HP P6590D:
processor core-i5-750 (L) 2.66Ghz (95W)
chipset intel h57 express
power supply 250W
memory 4gb ddr3 ram (4x1gb)
harddrive 750gb sata 7200rpm
graphics ati radeon hd5450 1gb vddrs memory
audio alc 888s chipset (8channel HD audio)

FX 6831-01g:
processor core-i5-750 (2.66Ghz,8mb cache,2.5gt/s)
chipset intel h57 express
power supply 750W
memory 6gb 1066mhz ddr3 sdram
harddrive 1TB sata 7200rpm
graphics nvidia geforce gt330 (2gb ddr vram)
audio Creative® THX® TruStudio PC™, featuring TruStudio Surround, TruStudio Crystalizer, TruStudio Dialog Plus, TruStudio Smart Volume, TruStudio Speaker
Embedded high-definition audio with 7.1-channel surround sound and EAX® 5.0 support

both had 23inch hd monitors lcd.

First, what i heard was that 6gb ddr3 sd ram was too much for an i5 processor.

Second, I am held back by, which graphics card is better, the nvidia gt330 or the ati radeon hd5450. i heard quite a lot of negative comments on nvidia gt330.
In addition, i am puzzled by the power supply needed for the two coms. Will the shortage in power affect the overall performance of the com since both are somewhat similar in terms of processors and memory.

Can someone please enlighten me?

Anyway, the prize difference between these two coms is about 500SGD, with the Gateway FX being more expensive.

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
I'd steer well clear of that HP build if it were me. AMD/ATI recommend at least a 400W PSU for the Radeon HD 5450 whilst that build only has a 250W unit. How they can sell a product that fails to meet manufacturer's specifications is beyond me.

Also, 6GB of RAM is not too much for an i5-750. The only problem I can see is that the i5-750 only supports dual-channel memory, whereas that setup probably uses 3 x 2GB sticks which won't be able to operate in triple channel. You'd probably be better off either having 4GB or 8GB of RAM to utilise the two channels. Of course, this all depends on what you want to use your system for.

If it were me, I'd build my own system but it's entirely up to you. If you're comfortable doing it then there are plenty of people on these forums who would be more than willing to help you put together a system that is suited to your needs and your price range. Hope this helps.

jebvon

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
Okay THANKS!

If so, maybe you guys can help me craft out a rig that's suitable for my needs.

I use my PC mostly for watching movies, videos and I played games such as DOTA, COD, C&C, Battlefield 2, CS and some other RPG games. Other than that, it would be mostly use for internet surfing and I hate really slow, laggy PCs. I guess I am just like any other normal users.

Though I would like to have a good PC, but I am a little constraint by my budget as well. I do not wish to spend too much as I have other commitments too. My budget is about 2000SGD, if converted to USD, it should be about 1.5k? I know this budget isn't a lot but I hope maybe we can achieve something out of this.

Anyway, the FX cost about 1900SGD here.

Where says that he must buy it from newegg? It's just an example, he can look for the same or similar components on Singapore and build the rig.