EggWhite50

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
I am an independent designer of Retail Displays using SketchUP and AutoCAD. My current machine is a HP DC7900 Quad Core 2, Q8200@2.33Ghz 1.98 GHz, 3.24 GB RAM is boggin down. I have $2,000 to spend for the CPU and Graphic cards. I would appreciate your suggestions of what to purchase. This is for 3-D rendering only, I do not do any gaming.
Thanks

EggWhite50

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010

I forgot to share the graphic card I'm currently using
ATI FireGL V3600 256MB PCI Express x 16 Workstation Video Card

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
As far as I understand, 3D rendering is heavily CPU intensive, and doesn't really require GPU power at all. As I'm sure you've noticed, it always uses a helluva lot of RAM :D

As you haven't given any guidelines (please view this thread, reference for next time: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice ), I'll just tell you what you'll most likely want to look for.

CPU: Quad- or Six-Core. Intel makes very nice quad cores (Core i7 series), while AMD makes some nice budget-oriented Quad cores as well; AMD makes very affordable Six-core processors as well. The choice is yours!

RAM: Lotsa, lotsa RAM! I'd go for at least 6GB-8GB, maybe more depending on how large these renders are gonna be. Again, you'll have to make the call.

Motherboard: Not overly important. As long as it has the appropriate CPU socket, and has the features you want/need, it's good to go. I usually pick motherboards mostly by ratings.

Video Card: As I mentioned, not overly important. Something cheap and simple will be fine, just for connecting your monitor, and displaying these lovely renderings.

Hard Drives: You'll probably want something that's fairly fast (Western Caviar Black or similar). You may even consider a RAID0 setup for even faster speeds, or even and SSD for the OS/Program drive.

PSU: Get something reliable. Corsair, Seasonic, and Antec are the best brands, imo. http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp That's a PSU calculator; it'll help give you an idea as to how much power your system will draw. Make sure to give yourself a bit of headroom.

Case, DVD Drive, etc.: Not overly important. 120mm or larger fans will help you move a bunch of air with less noise, if that's an issue. As long as everything serves it's purpose and you're happy with it, go for it.

Anyways, I think I pretty much covered everything. Make sure your OS is 64-bit, or else you can't use more than 3GB or RAM.

I know I just kind of generalized here, but hopefully I've helped give you some insight. If you have more questions, please ask!

Good luck :)

shovenose

Distinguished
well oyu could reuse the gfx card from your previous copmuter

and i would say a core i7 quad-core. they are better performers than quad-core amds, but also cost way more. and since they have ht, so you would have 8 threads :)

TRENDING THREADS