Internet explorer crashing

grumpp

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
Let's start out by saying I'm a noob at this. I recently built a new system. Something to play around. I have an Asrock 890fx Deluxe 3 MB ( 1.40 bios) and a Phenom II x2 555. I have no problems unlocking it to a b55 x4. I ran prime95 for 4 hours with no problems. The problem I have is that Internet explorer keeps crashing when I'm running with the cores unlocked. any ideas would be appreciated.

I noticed similar symptoms when overclocking my i3, so I stopped. I would simply try explorer without the extra cores. It's a gimmick frankly to depend on unlocking cores when you can buy a regular propus or phenom II for only a few dollars more. You can also try firefox, but I found it to be less secure and have fewer features than explorer 8.0.

grumpp

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
I tried running Foxfire and the flash player keeps crashing (with the cores unlocked). I'm tempted to flash the bios with the newest version to see if that might help (probably not). The system is brand new and it screams compared to my old one. If I could just figure this problem out I would be totally happy with it. I knew when I got the PII 555 that unlocking wasn't a sure thing, but it's stable in prime95.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
every version of IE after 6.5 is total crap..!
6.5 got props but I do not know who took over development after that but,
they dropped the ball and focused in compatibility with other Microsoft software only,
all other functionality went to pot.
every single version freezes or craps out and give the report error to microsoft crap.
just sucks.
I use firefox and then I have a copy of opera for back-up.

Internet Explorer 9 alpha or beta (not sure) came out and is available for download, should be released within some months :) We'll see what MS's new browser can do!

grumpp

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
I've heard that going to device manager and uninstalling the core drivers one at a time and rebooting (with the cores unlocked) might do it. Anybody ever hear of that?

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Yo.
I read about that today on-line.
The title say, " Microsoft re-invented the browser "...
Still, I don't even want to download it.
Maybe in time and after the first set of updates for it.. :D

Well the beta doesn't have much...it doesn't have any options...features...not even a damn address bar. Just a little window you open to put in an address...it LITERALLY has nothing else. Thats how simple it is, but lets see what it will be once its finally released. And BTW, I never had problems with IE8...? What is wrong with IE8?...the only reason I use firefox is because it has some nice addons, skins, and is more customizable...but IE8 is very fast and works fine also..

Yo.
I read about that today on-line.
The title say, " Microsoft re-invented the browser "...
Still, I don't even want to download it.
Maybe in time and after the first set of updates for it.. :D

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/240375-49-thoughts-beta#t870535

Read it. I tested FF 4.6 and IE9 beta.

Um thats the preview. the Beta has the address bar and everything apart from the menu bar. in fact I am typing this from IE9 Beta. The above link has info on it and I tested it vs FF 4.6 to see which one is better. Both are great but IE9 beta has a slight edge. IE8 itself wasn't bad but I can tell you that IE9 is much smoother than IE8 and feels much faster too.

As for the problem for the OP, Which versions of FF and IE are you using?

grumpp

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
I'm running Windows 7 64 bit......the system is Asrock 890 FX Deluxe3,PII 555, Patriot Gamer Black running at 1600 (4 gig), MSI 5770 Hawk (2 in crossfire). OCZ Vertex 30 gig boot, and 2 velociraptors in Raid0.

Well i know when i was experiencing browser drops and connectivity issues it turned out to be a defective ram module.
Try Memtest and see if that's your problem.
Speedwise i notice no difference between IE8 and Firefox on Win7.
Totally different story on XP Firefox is way faster then IE.

XP has had its day. I don't think it will be around much longer. A lot of people are accepting Windows 7. Plus its EOL for MS with XP which means hardware and software will stop supporting it soon too.

As for IE8 in Windows 7, IE8 and FF 3.6 felt about the same to me. But IE9 feels smoother and faster than both.

Well yea. Thats IE8 you are running. IE8 was designed before MS actually decided to join W3C and try to meet most of the standards. If you download IE9 Beta and run Acid3, you will get a 95/100.

grumpp

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
Here's an update....I did Memtest overnight and no errors. I then got this bright idea to try IE 64 bit....so I downloaded Adobe Square. I am currently running that with no issues ( I'm keeping my fingers crossed). So does this mean my 32 bit IE and Foxfire browsers have issues? I mean they both run good with 2 cores it's just when I unlock the cores.

It is a possibility. I would try uninstalling IE and reinstalling it or even trying IE9 Beta.

Flash Square also has a download for 32bit if you want to try that. Its possible that Flash is the problem. Or it could be that youtr CPUs 2 extra coress have bad 32bit instruction sets and is why they were turned off.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished

Oh yeah! I downloaded the Beta like 20minutes ago and it seems excellent. Its fast, smooth, and very responsive. Just one thing though...why does everything seem kind of blurry, as if font smoothing is screwed up or something, stuff, especially text doesn't have that super sharp look as in other browser. Any ideas?

What Prime95 test are you running? Also, another CPU/Ram test I like is LinX 0.6.4, it uses all of the ram and stresses my CPU more than prime (and consequently reveals instabilities much faster too). Depending on the prime setting you use, it may or may not be stressing the ram or CPU extensively.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Talking about Internet Explorer 9. AND OMG! I tried the Firefox Beta 5 and it has the same thing...the test is all weird and blurry kind of. Firefox 4 Beta 4 was fine, beta 5 became like that. And Beta 5 sucks, its really unrepsonsive. IE9 is excellent. Microsoft redeemed themselves with windows7, an excellent OS, and I think they'll do the same with thier browser.