Sign in with
Your question

Usb external hard drive noise

Last response: in Storage
September 17, 2012 10:12:19 PM

Hello, I am having an odd issue with my medion 500gb external hard drive. Whenever I plug it in, it would make a noise, not a clicking or ticking noise but a hard-to-describe one, the blue light turns on during this and after it is done the blue light switches off and back on but the PC fails to recognize it. I remember by 2tb HD had a similar noise issue but I do not remember how it was fixed. it has not been dropped and was working just last night. However, yesterday it suffered an issue where one partition would not appear, a simple testdisk fixed that and now today this happens. I know it is fixable as I said above but I have no idea how.
any help is appreciated.
a b G Storage
September 18, 2012 4:07:40 AM

No buzzing sounds either? If your able to try to record the sound and put it up on Youtube or another site. If not, if the drive is under warranty i'd replace it. Can you pull the S.M.A.R.T. data off of it when it is working? If your desperate enough & have money for it - http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm (you can take the drive out of the enclosure, put it in your system if spinrite doesn't recognize the drive)
m
l
September 18, 2012 4:57:16 AM

http://www.sendspace.com/file/lyvr8o is the link. you will need to have your speakers set pretty high to hear it though. ignore any other noise and listen for a soft, low noise in the background. Using a headset held close to try and get the sound (I have no separate mic, sorry). Yesterday, it was working fine even at midnight but today the noise started.
m
l
a b G Storage
September 18, 2012 4:21:23 PM

Ok so it sounds like some kind of skipping noise. It sounds like a problem with the Actuator or there is something wrong with the reader heads. If the drive is still working i would get any data you need off of it asap. The drive could fail soon & the last thing you want is important data lost.
m
l
Related resources
!