UT 2004 Help

Last response: in Video Games
May 23, 2004 12:58:17 PM

Hello all,

i am a beginner to this game and ask you for help. :-)

I have problems to change to the right weapon infight.
Then i can't jump out of the way, if an other player shoot at me. (I
am losing most 1 on 1 duels).

I am using the natural multimedia Keyboard from Microsoft and the
first wired Explorer Mouse with 2 Buttons at the thumb.
Default ini's of User and system.
The default key layout around wasd is full (q=translocator, e=use,
r=Teamtalk, t=Talk), which item can lost?

Question:
Where can i find hints, for using the mouse/keyboard (wasd) better?
Timing for dodge ect...
I can't use curors or numpad because keyb/Mouse lays on a drawer.
:-( Then i become knots in my arms)

What changes to the ini's can we do before the anti cheat dämon bann
the key?

Best wishes

Roland Linke

More about : 2004

May 23, 2004 11:17:00 PM

Roland Linke wrote:

> i am a beginner to this game and ask you for help. :-)

Simple: turn up to a lan party :)

Or gaming Internet cafe. Ask permission before standing over
someone.
Anonymous
May 23, 2004 11:17:01 PM

"Graeme" <www.rillion.net@no.spam.wanted&gt; schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Roland Linke wrote:
>
>> i am a beginner to this game and ask you for help. :-)
>
> Simple: turn up to a lan party :)
>
> Or gaming Internet cafe. Ask permission before standing over
> someone.

Sorry Graeme,

i don't know what you mean, i live in germany and use a 780kb dls
line.
When i fight against bots i won at the default settings, ever game.
When i put the bot's a level higher, then it is luck if i won. :-)
(30:28 or 27:30)
Putting the bots two level higher i will lose every game (10:30).

My question: Can i use another layout of keys to use my weapons/Armor
better than now? (Default Layout with natural MS Keyboard)
Where can i find informations about using keyboard (not Keybind such
as press key 'xyz' then switch to translokator, shot beamer, at
release translokate and switch to last/best weapon) :-)
Which key commands in the ini's can i overwrite with my own? For
Example, t=talk if i took t=flak i can't talk to others. :-(

Best Wishes

Roland Linke

Or should i aks in the group ut2003
May 24, 2004 8:49:13 AM

"Roland Linke" <roland.linke@cityweb.de> wrote in news:c8pi3k$ai3$06$1
@news.t-online.com:

> Hello all,
>
> i am a beginner to this game and ask you for help. :-)
>
> I have problems to change to the right weapon infight.
> Then i can't jump out of the way, if an other player shoot at me. (I
> am losing most 1 on 1 duels).
>
> I am using the natural multimedia Keyboard from Microsoft and the
> first wired Explorer Mouse with 2 Buttons at the thumb.
> Default ini's of User and system.
> The default key layout around wasd is full (q=translocator, e=use,
> r=Teamtalk, t=Talk), which item can lost?
>
> Question:
> Where can i find hints, for using the mouse/keyboard (wasd) better?
> Timing for dodge ect...
> I can't use curors or numpad because keyb/Mouse lays on a drawer.
>:-( Then i become knots in my arms)
>
> What changes to the ini's can we do before the anti cheat dämon bann
> the key?
>
> Best wishes
>
> Roland Linke

The default setup is bad, to put it simply.

First - go into the settings section / Input / Configure Controls.
Anything you do here isn't going to annoy the various protection
programs. I can't think of any User.ini tweak that's going to cause a
problem, either. Certainly nothing that's going to cost you your CD key.

The following suggestions are my opinion. There's lots of good ways to
set up your controls, and everyone's will work a little differently.

Movement/Fire - WASD works fine. If you're a good touch typist, you may
want to use ESDF. Space bar for jump is the most common natural. I
place crouch on Z (with movement ESDF). Fire/Altfire on left mouse
button and right mouse button, respectively.

Talk/Team talk - I move these to the other side of the keyboard away from
my hands. I don't want to accidentally hit those in combat, and if I'm
going to use them I'm not going to be able to fight at the same time
anyway.

Weapons - I'm a fan of having each weapon on it's own key. At the very
least, you should have your favorites only a click away. Such a setup
takes a little practice to use, but will pay off in the long run. If
you're using ESDF, you have AQWRTGBVCX, your mousewheel, and your thumb
buttons to assign to weapons. More than enough.

For reference, here's my setup:

Movement: ESDF
Jump: Space
Crouch: Z
Lightning/Sniper: A
Assault Rifle: Q
Flak: W
Rocket Launcher: R
Goo: T
Shock Rifle: G
Translocator/Use: Tab
Last Weapon: Middle Mouse
Mini: Mousewheel Up
Link: Mousewheel Down
Shield: Thumb 1
Redeemer: X
Toss Weapon: B

-----

Dodging: Takes a little practice to get down. You just have to teach
your fingers to double-click. You can make it a little easier by setting
your Dodge Click time in Settings / Input to .30 or .35 and then working
down to the default .25 as you grow more used to it.

-----

Forums with LOTS of ideas for control setups: www.ataricommunity.com and
www.beyondunreal.com
May 24, 2004 11:12:08 AM

Roland Linke wrote:

> "Graeme" <www.rillion.net@no.spam.wanted&gt; schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> Roland Linke wrote:
>>
>>> i am a beginner to this game and ask you for help. :-)
>>
>> Simple: turn up to a lan party :)
>>
>> Or gaming Internet cafe. Ask permission before standing over
>> someone.
>
> Sorry Graeme,
>
> i don't know what you mean, i live in germany and use a 780kb dls
> line.
> When i fight against bots i won at the default settings, ever game.
> When i put the bot's a level higher, then it is luck if i won. :-)
> (30:28 or 27:30)
> Putting the bots two level higher i will lose every game (10:30).
>
> My question: Can i use another layout of keys to use my weapons/Armor
> better than now? (Default Layout with natural MS Keyboard)
> Where can i find informations about using keyboard (not Keybind such
> as press key 'xyz' then switch to translokator, shot beamer, at
> release translokate and switch to last/best weapon) :-)
> Which key commands in the ini's can i overwrite with my own? For
> Example, t=talk if i took t=flak i can't talk to others. :-(
>
> Best Wishes
>
> Roland Linke
>
> Or should i aks in the group ut2003

It comes down to watching someone else play. Not by /follow but in
the flesh. Actually you might want to watch a few different people
play and pick the best techniques suited to you.
Anonymous
May 24, 2004 11:12:09 AM

> It comes down to watching someone else play. Not by /follow but in
> the flesh. Actually you might want to watch a few different people
> play and pick the best techniques suited to you.

Hello Graeme,

thanks for explanation.

Best wishes

Roland Linke
Anonymous
May 24, 2004 10:19:28 PM

Roland Linke wrote:

> Question:
> Where can i find hints, for using the mouse/keyboard (wasd) better?
> Timing for dodge ect...
> I can't use curors or numpad because keyb/Mouse lays on a drawer.
> :-( Then i become knots in my arms)

This is for the original UT but it certainly wouldn't hurt to read some
of the chapters on contols, dodging etc

http://www.ocrana.de/utbible/menu.htm

--
Mutley!! Doooooo Something!!