UT 2004 Help

Hello all,

i am a beginner to this game and ask you for help. :-)

I have problems to change to the right weapon infight.
Then i can't jump out of the way, if an other player shoot at me. (I
am losing most 1 on 1 duels).

I am using the natural multimedia Keyboard from Microsoft and the
first wired Explorer Mouse with 2 Buttons at the thumb.
Default ini's of User and system.
The default key layout around wasd is full (q=translocator, e=use,
r=Teamtalk, t=Talk), which item can lost?

Question:
Where can i find hints, for using the mouse/keyboard (wasd) better?
Timing for dodge ect...
I can't use curors or numpad because keyb/Mouse lays on a drawer.
:-( Then i become knots in my arms)

What changes to the ini's can we do before the anti cheat dämon bann
the key?

Best wishes

Roland Linke
7 answers Last reply
More about 2004 help

    Roland Linke wrote:

    > i am a beginner to this game and ask you for help. :-)

    Simple: turn up to a lan party :)

    Or gaming Internet cafe. Ask permission before standing over
    someone.

    "Graeme" <www.rillion.net@no.spam.wanted> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Roland Linke wrote:
    >
    >> i am a beginner to this game and ask you for help. :-)
    >
    > Simple: turn up to a lan party :)
    >
    > Or gaming Internet cafe. Ask permission before standing over
    > someone.

    Sorry Graeme,

    i don't know what you mean, i live in germany and use a 780kb dls
    line.
    When i fight against bots i won at the default settings, ever game.
    When i put the bot's a level higher, then it is luck if i won. :-)
    (30:28 or 27:30)
    Putting the bots two level higher i will lose every game (10:30).

    My question: Can i use another layout of keys to use my weapons/Armor
    better than now? (Default Layout with natural MS Keyboard)
    Where can i find informations about using keyboard (not Keybind such
    as press key 'xyz' then switch to translokator, shot beamer, at
    release translokate and switch to last/best weapon) :-)
    Which key commands in the ini's can i overwrite with my own? For
    Example, t=talk if i took t=flak i can't talk to others. :-(

    Best Wishes

    Roland Linke

    Or should i aks in the group ut2003

    "Roland Linke" <roland.linke@cityweb.de> wrote in news:c8pi3k$ai3$06$1
    @news.t-online.com:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > i am a beginner to this game and ask you for help. :-)
    >
    > I have problems to change to the right weapon infight.
    > Then i can't jump out of the way, if an other player shoot at me. (I
    > am losing most 1 on 1 duels).
    >
    > I am using the natural multimedia Keyboard from Microsoft and the
    > first wired Explorer Mouse with 2 Buttons at the thumb.
    > Default ini's of User and system.
    > The default key layout around wasd is full (q=translocator, e=use,
    > r=Teamtalk, t=Talk), which item can lost?
    >
    > Question:
    > Where can i find hints, for using the mouse/keyboard (wasd) better?
    > Timing for dodge ect...
    > I can't use curors or numpad because keyb/Mouse lays on a drawer.
    >:-( Then i become knots in my arms)
    >
    > What changes to the ini's can we do before the anti cheat dämon bann
    > the key?
    >
    > Best wishes
    >
    > Roland Linke

    The default setup is bad, to put it simply.

    First - go into the settings section / Input / Configure Controls.
    Anything you do here isn't going to annoy the various protection
    programs. I can't think of any User.ini tweak that's going to cause a
    problem, either. Certainly nothing that's going to cost you your CD key.

    The following suggestions are my opinion. There's lots of good ways to
    set up your controls, and everyone's will work a little differently.

    Movement/Fire - WASD works fine. If you're a good touch typist, you may
    want to use ESDF. Space bar for jump is the most common natural. I
    place crouch on Z (with movement ESDF). Fire/Altfire on left mouse
    button and right mouse button, respectively.

    Talk/Team talk - I move these to the other side of the keyboard away from
    my hands. I don't want to accidentally hit those in combat, and if I'm
    going to use them I'm not going to be able to fight at the same time
    anyway.

    Weapons - I'm a fan of having each weapon on it's own key. At the very
    least, you should have your favorites only a click away. Such a setup
    takes a little practice to use, but will pay off in the long run. If
    you're using ESDF, you have AQWRTGBVCX, your mousewheel, and your thumb
    buttons to assign to weapons. More than enough.

    For reference, here's my setup:

    Movement: ESDF
    Jump: Space
    Crouch: Z
    Lightning/Sniper: A
    Assault Rifle: Q
    Flak: W
    Rocket Launcher: R
    Goo: T
    Shock Rifle: G
    Translocator/Use: Tab
    Last Weapon: Middle Mouse
    Mini: Mousewheel Up
    Link: Mousewheel Down
    Shield: Thumb 1
    Redeemer: X
    Toss Weapon: B

    -----

    Dodging: Takes a little practice to get down. You just have to teach
    your fingers to double-click. You can make it a little easier by setting
    your Dodge Click time in Settings / Input to .30 or .35 and then working
    down to the default .25 as you grow more used to it.

    -----

    Forums with LOTS of ideas for control setups: www.ataricommunity.com and
    www.beyondunreal.com

    Roland Linke wrote:

    > "Graeme" <www.rillion.net@no.spam.wanted> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >> Roland Linke wrote:
    >>
    >>> i am a beginner to this game and ask you for help. :-)
    >>
    >> Simple: turn up to a lan party :)
    >>
    >> Or gaming Internet cafe. Ask permission before standing over
    >> someone.
    >
    > Sorry Graeme,
    >
    > i don't know what you mean, i live in germany and use a 780kb dls
    > line.
    > When i fight against bots i won at the default settings, ever game.
    > When i put the bot's a level higher, then it is luck if i won. :-)
    > (30:28 or 27:30)
    > Putting the bots two level higher i will lose every game (10:30).
    >
    > My question: Can i use another layout of keys to use my weapons/Armor
    > better than now? (Default Layout with natural MS Keyboard)
    > Where can i find informations about using keyboard (not Keybind such
    > as press key 'xyz' then switch to translokator, shot beamer, at
    > release translokate and switch to last/best weapon) :-)
    > Which key commands in the ini's can i overwrite with my own? For
    > Example, t=talk if i took t=flak i can't talk to others. :-(
    >
    > Best Wishes
    >
    > Roland Linke
    >
    > Or should i aks in the group ut2003

    It comes down to watching someone else play. Not by /follow but in
    the flesh. Actually you might want to watch a few different people
    play and pick the best techniques suited to you.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    > It comes down to watching someone else play. Not by /follow but in
    > the flesh. Actually you might want to watch a few different people
    > play and pick the best techniques suited to you.

    Hello Graeme,

    thanks for explanation.

    Best wishes

    Roland Linke
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Roland Linke wrote:

    > Question:
    > Where can i find hints, for using the mouse/keyboard (wasd) better?
    > Timing for dodge ect...
    > I can't use curors or numpad because keyb/Mouse lays on a drawer.
    > :-( Then i become knots in my arms)

    This is for the original UT but it certainly wouldn't hurt to read some
    of the chapters on contols, dodging etc

    http://www.ocrana.de/utbible/menu.htm

    --
    Mutley!! Doooooo Something!!