Sandy Bridge Chipset Error hit me this morning FYI

jackyman38

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
I have been using my 2600K and Asus P8P67 Deluxe since January. I have the computer on for at least 16hr everyday. There are 3 hard drives and 1 DVD writer all connected to the 3GBps SATA ports.

When I turn on the PC this morning I found an error from Windows saying the Boot Sector is damaged and system can not start up. Knowing about the Cougar Point Chipset Error, I move all the drives to the four 6GBps ports and the system start up immediately. A few days before I have notice the Windows 7 has a few strange errors at start up, some apps lock up on its own, and Vuze crashed every so often. Disks access performance generally seem slower. There you go this is what you would expect to happen when the Cougar Point Chipset Error hits you.

jackyman38

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
You mean wait so long after the system started to slow down? Well, You know Windows, you can't tell exactly what is wrong when you have many applications running, hard to pin point the problem. The fail to start is the best indicator of it, thats how I conclude it is the Cougar Point error.

No, there are no data lose that I can see at the moment, when I moved the cables to the 6GBps ports everything is back to normal.

I meant why wait so long to exchange your P8P67 Deluxe for a 'B3' version? I assume that you will...get the B3 version with the fixed chipset.

Exchanging: The simplest is to arrange them, ASUS or place of purchase, to send you a replacement and to keep using your P8P67 Deluxe; going the easier route they probably will charge and then refund your charge card once the old MOBO is returned.

IMO run the following on all drives:
Scan-Drives-Windows-7.jpg

jackyman38

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
I am chancing for a Z68 when it come out, I see if I can get the shop to send me a Z68 board and I pay the difference :D 11th of May it should come out, and not long to wait, in the meantime, the machine works fine :D

I don't mean to poop on your parade, but 'most' Z68's have IGPU and the IGPU does share bandwidth with the discrete GPU(s) even if unused. There's no benchmarks available yet, but from a 'logic only' perspective: 16 lanes to the CPU for the GPU(s) period, and the AMD analogy 890FX {P67} vs AMD 890G {Z68} - similar setup - the 890FX always wins. A few Z68's seem to not include an IGPU. I also 'get' Quick Sync for encoding MPEG-2 & MPEG-4 and I 'get' the added ~5MB/s SATA on small SSD 'stuff'. But I'd never kiss off 10% FPS.

So I'd research before I'd leap.

This is my guess of the Z68 -> http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af254/Jaquith/Build_Chart_Q2-2011-beta.jpg