Sign in with
Your question

Weakest link in my gaming pc?

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
July 16, 2010 3:41:30 AM

Im new to this forum and have yet to post. i just did a budget build gaming pc. Im now ready to upgrade and im just wondering what my weakest links are. I know compared to some of you it may all be. Im just wondering what are the things i should upgrade next to increase game performance more.. here is my build

Motherboard - MSI 870A-G54 AMD 870 Socket AM3

Processor - AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0Ghz 6MB AM3 - OC to 3.4 ghz

Graphics Card - XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB PCIe DDR5 Display - stock clock

Ram - Corsair XMS3 4GB PC10666 DDR3 Dual Channel 1333MHz - stock clock 9-9-9-24

Hard Drive - Hitachi 250GB Serial ATA HD 7200/8MB/SATA-3G

Optical Drive - Lite ON 24X DVDRW SATA OEM

Power Supply - Ultra LSP550 550w Power Supply

OS - windows 7 x64 bit

should i get a better processor? maybe another GPU and run cross fire? get a 5870? maybe more ram or faster ram? whats going to benifit me the most?

More about : weakest link gaming

a b B Homebuilt system
July 16, 2010 3:47:39 AM

What resolution are you using? What about your gaming performance do you feel is lacking? Do you want to be able to increase detail levels? Is your non gaming performance lacking at all?

If you dont feel that something is lacking there isnt a reason to upgrade. If you want to be able to increase detail levels something like a GTX 460 would be helpful. If your non gaming performance is lacking a bit i would suggest moving up to a faster HDD like a samsung F3.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 16, 2010 3:49:43 AM

A faster processor would help, although not as much as an HD 5870, HD 5770 CrossFireX wouldn't really be do-able because the second PCI-E slot runs at x4.. Faster RAM is pretty much pointless when it comes to gaming, and 4 GB is more than enough. A faster HDD would also be ideal. (A SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 500 GB for example)
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
July 16, 2010 3:55:52 AM

I agree, i'm not sure I would add a second video card with that ultra PSU. It really isn't a bad system though. I also am surous where you think the system is lacking.
m
l
July 16, 2010 4:15:40 AM

hunter315 said:
What resolution are you using? What about your gaming performance do you feel is lacking? Do you want to be able to increase detail levels? Is your non gaming performance lacking at all?

If you dont feel that something is lacking there isnt a reason to upgrade. If you want to be able to increase detail levels something like a GTX 460 would be helpful. If your non gaming performance is lacking a bit i would suggest moving up to a faster HDD like a samsung F3.

sorry ive been out of the game a wile. this is my first build sence i bought a bfg gefore 6800gtoc for 600 bucks lol. so i dont remember all the important details im suposed to list lol

im actually really happy with everything. the computer is really fast. i just like to be able to play games at the highest level of graphics and not have fram rate issues. i tested the crysis demo with max everything and my resolution is 1280 by 1024. yes i still have a 4 by 3 lol. its just a really good one that i cant part from lol. the fps is inbetween 18 and 24 on action scenes and runs higher when not in action. thats to low to be playable. i want to be in the high twenty to low 30 to be considered playble. i hope that makes sence
m
l
July 16, 2010 4:18:34 AM

Lmeow said:
A faster processor would help, although not as much as an HD 5870, HD 5770 CrossFireX wouldn't really be do-able because the second PCI-E slot runs at x4.. Faster RAM is pretty much pointless when it comes to gaming, and 4 GB is more than enough. A faster HDD would also be ideal. (A SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 500 GB for example)

there is actually two 2.0 pci e slots on my mother board. i checked and it says crossfirex ready right on the box. also the hard drive is sata 3.. i thought the only thing faster would be flash? which is way to pricy.. sorry if i sound like i noob. ive been out way to long.. wouldnt a faster hard drive just improve loading times and not fps? and i run all my games off my external usb 2 1T hard drive lol is that noob?

also im running windows 7 x64 bit.
m
l
July 16, 2010 6:25:17 AM

Games off external usb? Lol your loading times must be long.
Hard drives only affect loading times, and not FPS at all. :D 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 16, 2010 8:02:31 AM

What's going to benefit you the most is the 5870, ofcourse it's not cheap.

But to be quite honest everything in your system is a touch below norm so it's not worth it to put a $400 video card into such a system. Not saying what you have is bad but really if you were going to upgrade I recommend you save $1000 or so and just do a new system all together.
m
l
July 16, 2010 4:00:49 PM

fastx21 said:
What's going to benefit you the most is the 5870, ofcourse it's not cheap.

But to be quite honest everything in your system is a touch below norm so it's not worth it to put a $400 video card into such a system. Not saying what you have is bad but really if you were going to upgrade I recommend you save $1000 or so and just do a new system all together.

my original plan with this build was at the current time i was strapped for cash and really needed a new gaming comp. so i bought that mother board in hopes in was going to be ok for future gaming and had all the newest sockets and features. like i said in my previous posts im a noob to new computer stuff. i had a geforce 6800gtoc when it was top notch and 600 bucks and a socket 478 p4 lol.

to be honest i dont really understand motherboards that much. other then the fast that it has x amount of pcie 2.0 slots. it can support x amount of ram. it had this many usb3.0's its sata3 and its am3 socket set. so i got one that had what i thought was all the current stuff. then i was going to start replacing stuff. new gpu, better cpu. better ram and so forth..

is this mother board with upgrading lol? im so lost with new computers.

m
l
July 16, 2010 4:02:27 PM

thegoat said:
Games off external usb? Lol your loading times must be long.
Hard drives only affect loading times, and not FPS at all. :D 

i honetly dont even wanna know how fast your guys's computers are cause i would probably go in lots of debt lol.. it takes far cry demo 32 seconds to load the first map. it says in the command when the level loads. trust me. thats a lot faster then my old pc lol
m
l
July 16, 2010 8:10:15 PM

I actually would have expected a slower load time. Not bad.
Anyway, upgrade your GPU or hard drive in my opinion. The rest of your system looks fine (has little impact on gaming anyway).
m
l
October 18, 2010 3:24:40 AM

hey guys.. took a wile to get back to yea.. looking at a couple of things.. i want to go with a evga gtx470 gpu.. also maybe a new processor. thing im wondering about though is my mother board capable of using a 1090t 6 core processor or can i only run a quad core? if i can only run a quad core what would be a good upgrade.

later on in the future when newer games come out that requiere more gpu power i was thinking of going with a MSI NF980-G65 mother board and running sli. its the only mother board i can find that supports amd and sli.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 18, 2010 4:27:13 AM

an 870 can handle the x6 just fine.

Howevery, since you seem comfortable with overclocking, I suggest getting the 1075t instead, which overclocks amazingly on air. 4.1 to 4.3 GHz stable is being reported on it
m
l
October 25, 2010 12:23:32 AM

ScrewySqrl said:
an 870 can handle the x6 just fine.

Howevery, since you seem comfortable with overclocking, I suggest getting the 1075t instead, which overclocks amazingly on air. 4.1 to 4.3 GHz stable is being reported on it

wow thats good for just air. im running a pretty good watercooling heatsink setup with 7 fans in a good case.. so 4 ghz plus should be achievable. i have my amd 95w 945 stable at 3.75 ghz right now.. but i cant go any higher. i need a black edition.. i cant get the cpu multiplier any higher then 15x and my north bridge and ram timings are coming up high. i cant get a good ratio.. either the north bridge and ram timings are low and the cpu is cranked right high.. or the north bridge and ram frequency are to high and the cpu low.. so i got a good ratio of 3.75 ghz with a perfect 1333 mhz ram freq and my north bridge is a tad overclocked. never hits over 40c full load...

looking into the 1075t and also ati just released there new 6 series.. so im not going to go nvidia anymore.. sence the 6 series offers 3d.
m
l
!