Sign in with
Your question

Will an ssd improve game performance?

Last response: in Storage
September 18, 2012 12:06:59 AM

i just had a quick question about ssd's. will they improve performance in games like skyrim or borderlands? games that are open world? how bout games like mw3 or gta4? i currently have a caviar green 1 tb drive that runs at 5400 rpm and has 32 mb of cache. any thoughts?
September 18, 2012 12:11:06 AM

A Solid state drive will improve loading times above anything else. It is "flash" memory, and accesses information much faster as there are no moving parts such as the drive head that reads a disk.

As for other performance, you should not see a significant impact (graphic processing, for example.)
m
l
September 18, 2012 12:13:04 AM

It won't really help improve performance in those cases, maybe ~1%, but nothing more. It will however decrease load times, and if you are recording increase performance while you do that.
m
l
Related resources
a c 180 G Storage
September 18, 2012 12:13:07 AM

You will not notice much of a difference.
m
l
September 18, 2012 12:43:09 AM

i should have clarified what i meant by performance. im not talking frame rates. in games like skyrim where it has to load textures far away will it be less noticable? the worst by far was fallout new vegas. the game stopped for half a sec to load the textures
m
l
a c 180 G Storage
September 18, 2012 2:07:11 AM

Might see a very small improvement.
m
l
September 18, 2012 3:11:35 AM

schecterplayer said:
i should have clarified what i meant by performance. im not talking frame rates. in games like skyrim where it has to load textures far away will it be less noticable? the worst by far was fallout new vegas. the game stopped for half a sec to load the textures

Correct me if I'm wrong anybody. But your gaming textures are more reliant on your GPU and CPU. Your storage media shouldn't affect texture load time much, if at all. Unless of course your Hard drive/s are old or worn out. I'd personally look at processing rather than storage.
m
l
a b G Storage
September 18, 2012 6:22:28 AM

Well I suppose the time to transfer textures from a SSD to the graphic card's RAM will decrease somewhat, but I would think not enough for you to notice any difference.

m
l
a b G Storage
September 18, 2012 8:44:53 AM

It very depend on the game, some will benefit more some not so...

They had one in common that is loading time. Other than that, the improvement somewhat small (can be ignored)...

If u had spare money, u can try SSD. SSD will make the whole experience (not just gaming) seems different (in good way)...

m
l
July 18, 2013 4:35:19 PM

yes, SSD will be faster than Hdd, but the difference will not be that much.
m
l
December 6, 2013 3:51:30 PM

Hi, I cant post a solution for your problem sorry. But what i want to ask is.. In games like bf4 or some other games i walk around and i see some small objects like benches, barriers, bushes ect pop in when i come closer what is this problem? If i put in a ssd will it load faster and will not see this again ? maybe my hdd is to slow or something? i don't know please correct me if im badly wrong im not that good with computers
Thanks
m
l
!