Sign in with
Your question

Mother speaker and wire questions/no boot details with pics

Last response: in Systems
July 16, 2010 5:00:28 AM

hello everyone im just building a new pc and had a few questions ..because my computer will not boot..everything turns on but there is no display

before i begin ill just show you my stand offs
http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/1403/img1099j.jpg

so ive put those stand offs ...there is a part of the mother board on the hard drive side where i dont have a standoff hole so i cant put a screw in it... there is one about 2cm away from it where there is a standoff and a screw

i used to have a motherboard in this case before and it used to beep at start up but for some reason with this new builld it doesnt beep so i dont know what the problem is....its the exact same case and there isnt anything different on the previous motherboard that would signify a mother board speaker

however i have this device that i believe is a speaker on my old computer
http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/1156/img1100e.jpg
http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/5723/img1101f.jpg

and only place i can see where it would fit on my gigabyte 890gpa-ud3h is on this following picture
http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/8977/img1105rv.jpg

in the spdif_out one

i also have another wire that i am not sure where it goes and maybe is the case speaker wire
http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/6429/img1104ke.jpg

can anyone please help me out with this
when i finished my computer and pressed the power button everything turns on( cpu, power supply, cd drive, graphics card fan but when i connect it to my monitor there is nothing displaying

if you need more details or better pics let me know and i can update

thanks in advance

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
so here is my computer that i built

i have cleaned up the wires or anything cause i wanna figure out whats wrong first

so when i turn on my pc from my power button everything turns on, the psu is on, the cpu cooler for my processor on my motherboard turns on, my graphic cards fan turns on, i can press eject on my cd drive, my fans turn on EXCEPT for my rear fan

so ill go in an alittle more detail on how everything is connected
1) my graphics card is an hd5770 and is connected to my pci express x 16 slot(pciex16) and then one wire from my psu to my graphics card which is labeled pci express

2) my cpu proccessor and cooler- i matched up the the triangle thats suppose to be on the motherboard with the one on the cpu, put on thermal compound then the cpu cooler, locked the one side and other side is attached to the blue plastic thats on the motherboard.....then the wire is connected to the cpu fan

3) sata hard drive- the blue wire from my hard drive to motherboard is connected to sata3_0 then a wire from my powersupply to my hardrive

4) cd drive- one wire is connected from cd drive to cd_in then a wire from my cd drive to my powersupply

5) 1 stick on ram is connected to motherboard and is locked in
to
6)front panel header- my hdd, pw switch, res switch, and power led is connected there, my case nerver had a speaker or message/power/sleep led wires

7) front panel audio header- my mic,gnd,mic power, gnd, r-ret,r-out,l-ret,l-out wires are connected there

8)power supply to motherboard- i have 2 power supplies wires connected---1 atx_12v_2x4 by the cpu fan wire

and 2nd one to the 24pin atx one near the ram

9) fans- my rear fan and front fan are connected together and then connected to the power supply

so thats everything ive done...when i turn the computer on everything turns on but keeps saying no signal on my monitor

does anyone know what the problem is?

thanks in advance
July 16, 2010 7:02:26 AM

updated
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 16, 2010 8:22:37 AM

I apologize for not reading the whole thing but it's 4:18am where I live and my short attention spam is getting the best of me.

So I'm assuming you hit the power switch and you just see nothign on the monitor?... and not receiving a signal at all?

Did you make sure the memory was seating properly. Also the video card as well? Those two items alone will make the computer not post. What is this CD_In you speak of? Is it that old 3pin (4 pin total) connector from the old days? If so throw that out.

Your best bet is to take everything apart and only do one stick of ram, power switch (only) and video card. And then see if you get a post.

I assume you connected the 6-pin connector for the video card? Again it's now 4:22 am so if you said that already I apologize :) .
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
July 16, 2010 4:13:20 PM

The old computer's mini-speaker is just that, all right. So, since your mobo and case both seem NOT to have a speaker, you could connect that to the two pins on the front panel header (item 6 in second half of your post) for the case speaker. However, the pin spacing might not work and you'd have to find a way to do this. Oddly, the header usually has 4 pins associated with the speaker even though the only two used are the first and last of the 4, but it requires a connector with 4 holes spaced right. The connector on the end of your old speaker does not look right for fitting on the 4 "Speaker" pins of the front panel header. Note you do NOT plug the speaker leads into the S/PDIF port.

One common problem with new builds comes up when the mobo has a built-in video chip. On such boards by default the BIOS is set to use that system to generate video signals. If you are using a separate video card in the PCI slots, you have to make an adjustment. First you have to change the connection to your monitor temporarily and feed it with a common VGA signal cable plugged into the mobo's own VGA output connector. That way you can get to see the video output and go into BIOS Setup to make the necessary changes. Within Bios Setup you must disable the on-board video, and often make some setting about exactly where your separate video card in installed. You must then Save and Exit to save this info in BIOS, then change the monitor feed to the video card's output so you can see that.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 19, 2010 2:41:38 AM

Whats the update with this?

I wouldn't worry about there not being a beep on startup. I think that was an unofficial standard back in the day, but no longer. I'd drop the idea of a case speaker and put that thing in a museum.

To get your video to work, Paperdoc is right. It's probably some Bios settings that need to be adjusted. (Might even find a beep on startup option.) The other option since your running the 890gx remove the 5770 all together. Takes a variable out of the equation and should let you get the bios set up and 5770 drivers downloaded and installed.

Also, do you have the monitor plugged into the mobo ports or the GPU ports?
m
l
July 19, 2010 5:10:10 AM

hey sorry i couldnt update this for awhile my internet went down at my house =S

but ya the case speaker doesn't work its to big to fit into where its suppose to go

I apologize for not reading the whole thing but it's 4:18am where I live and my short attention spam is getting the best of me.

So I'm assuming you hit the power switch and you just see nothign on the monitor?... and not receiving a signal at all?

Did you make sure the memory was seating properly. Also the video card as well? Those two items alone will make the computer not post. What is this CD_In you speak of? Is it that old 3pin (4 pin total) connector from the old days? If so throw that out.

Your best bet is to take everything apart and only do one stick of ram, power switch (only) and video card. And then see if you get a post.

I assume you connected the 6-pin connector for the video card? Again it's now 4:22 am so if you said that already I apologize :) .

hey ya ive tried all that..i checked memory , video card ....ya cd_in the for old school cd drives (mines like 3years old) and is a 4 pin connector

ya i tried that to but just taking out everything but the ram and video and same thing no luck

m
l
July 19, 2010 5:15:44 AM

ok so i tried my graphics card in my friends computer and it worked, my monitor worked, my ram worked, my hardrive worked ....so i guess its my mobo?

its a brand new mobo ..it would have been defective already?
i took all precautions, touched metal before use, used standoffs, worked on glass and hardwood

oh and also i don't have a floppy drive i heard someone had a problem with this mobo until they added a floppy drive and i guess ill try that tomorrow

Whats the update with this?

I wouldn't worry about there not being a beep on startup. I think that was an unofficial standard back in the day, but no longer. I'd drop the idea of a case speaker and put that thing in a museum.

To get your video to work, Paperdoc is right. It's probably some Bios settings that need to be adjusted. (Might even find a beep on startup option.) The other option since your running the 890gx remove the 5770 all together. Takes a variable out of the equation and should let you get the bios set up and 5770 drivers downloaded and installed.

Also, do you have the monitor plugged into the mobo ports or the GPU ports?

so how would i remove it and still plug in my monitor?

where and how would i attach the dvi/vga/hdmi cable to my monitor and motherboard? :pt1cable: 

btw thanks for your guys help!!! highly appreciated
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
July 19, 2010 3:12:54 PM

The point that I and others raised is: does your mobo have a video chip built in to supply a video signal of some type to your monitor? Some do, some don't. Your mobo manual should tell you this. Also, IF it has built-in video, the manual's section on how to set options in BIOS Setup will detail how to change to using an add-on video card. If you can't find the info, post here exactly which mobo you have and we'll try to help.

The other clue is that a mobo with built-in video will have to have a video output connector. Usually that would be on its back connector panel, but it MIGHT be a separate connector mounted on a bracket you install in an unused PCI slot, then connect by cable to the mobo. Either way, it might be a simple VGA connector, and not a digital video output. If you have on-board video, that is the place you plug in your monitor.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
July 19, 2010 4:55:40 PM

OK, then that is not the issue. One other obscure suggestion. Do your graphics card and your monitor have VGA ports? Could you try connecting the VGA Out from vid card to VGA In on monitor to see if there is a signal there?

Oh, that raises another simpler thought. Check your monitor's instructions. On many you use menus and buttons to set whether the monitor displays incoming signals from the VGA input, the Digital input, or automatically selected. You MIGHT need to set the input selection.
m
l
July 19, 2010 5:03:43 PM

ya when i was trying to figure out the problem yesterday, i asked my friend to come over with his rig and we tried his computer with hdmi,vga and dvi to the monitor and it worked then i tried mine with all 3 and it didnt work

after that i put my graphics card into his computer and then connected to monitor and it worked and he put his graphics card into my computer and we still couldnt get any display on the monitors

the monitor automatically flashes thru all 3 until it finds an input and it would find it for my friends computer and but didnt work for my computer =(
m
l
July 19, 2010 5:05:19 PM

i think im just going to return the mobo to newegg and just buy
Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H w/ Radeon HD 4290, DualDDR3 1333, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan, USB3.0, 1394, Hybrid CrossFireX, HDMI

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX28261%28ME%...

alittle more pricey but it'll have to do i guess since i dont wanna wait 2 weeks again for newegg shipping

also when the computer turned on no led lights turned on, on the mobo with the computer..... but on my friends motherboard there were led lights
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
July 19, 2010 5:34:50 PM

A substitute mobo sounds like a good path forward. By the way, many mobo's today have one (sometimes a few) LED's that indicate that the mobo is getting power from the PSU (in some case, only confirm one particular part of the power). Your mobo manual should tell you exactly what its LED's indicate. IF your has LED's and none of them are lighting, you have a problem with the mobo or the sPSU.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
July 20, 2010 2:07:14 PM

I agree, your manual indicates there are NO LED's on the mobo to indicate anything about its power supply. So a lack of lit LED's does not indicate a problem. On the contrary, it means only that you have not started seeing non-existent flashing lights.
m
l
July 21, 2010 7:48:14 PM

so heres the update

i got a new motherboard and now it displays and starts to start up but it starts saying writing bios image then restarts

is that a problem with the motherboard?

its a gigabyte 890gpa-ud3h
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
July 21, 2010 7:56:13 PM

Yeah, that does not sound right. Check with Gigabyte Tech Support, maybe it requires replacement.
m
l
July 23, 2010 2:58:18 AM

UPDATE:

ok so i exchanged the 2nd motherboard i got and now my computer is working

now the problem i have is im getting an error
stop:c000021a {fatal system error}

0xc0000005 (0x7c91106c3 0x0052ed04)

so what ive done is installed windows and i started installing my amd 8-series utility dvd and since then ive been getting this error

would it be my memory? since one the sticks was defective maybe this one is kinda defective?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 23, 2010 9:29:27 AM

http://www.0xc0000005.com/

Try running with one stick of mem at a time. If there is a bad one, it should show pretty quickly. You can run memtest also with one stick to try to isolate the culprit.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
July 26, 2010 3:49:43 PM

Yes, as skora suggests, go back and check the memory modules, one at a time, with Memtest 86+. While you're at it, check these two items:

1. Find out exactly what voltage your CPU wants from its maker's website.
2. Similarly, find out exactly what voltage your RAM modules want.
3. Now, boot directly into BIOS Setup and go to the system monitor and check what is actually being used. Mobo BIOS's are supposed to get the requirements directly from the CPU and RAM modules and set themselves automatically. Occasionally the process glitches and sets one of these wrong, so just check and adjust only if necessary. At this point you should NOT be trying for any overclocking or over-volting until you get the system to work under stock conditions.

Now, run your memory tests. If they say you have no hardware problem, consider two things:
1. Since you have not really completed the installation, re-do the entire Windows OS installation, followed by the driver installation. There may have been a corrupted file written by "glitch" the first time around.
2. Some people actually have a policy of never installing the drivers from the CD that came with the mobo. They insist that only the very latest drivers available from the mobo manufacturer's website should be installed. But whether you do that, or simply install from the CD and then UPDATE from the website, make sure you do get the latest mobo drivers installed. Same for any other devices you have added on.
m
l
!