hmdot

Honorable
May 7, 2012
I've just installed a SSD for my system and I'm a newbie at this, but my question is:
Is it better to install Windows system to the SSD and all of my programs to another drive?

hmdot

Honorable
May 7, 2012

Thank you, I'm filling it up quick!

hmdot

Honorable
May 7, 2012

That's a lot of good info and I have some reading to do.....Thank You for the Help.

Should be enough.
You lose 9GB to formatting, then ~20GB for the OS.

Also if you have a large Steam library, it will have to go on the HDD. You cant designate where each game goes when you use Steam, it will just install to where Steam itself is located. You have to install Steam to the HDD.
In general its better to have games on the HDD, they dont benefit much except for load times.

Dont forget to move the Page File to the HDD, that will get you back the same amount of storage as your physical RAM.

hmdot

Honorable
May 7, 2012

Thanks again manofchalk I can use all the info I can get to keep this up to speed.

MajorGunHo

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

I don't believe this is quite true.

I installed Steam to my SSD. And then I installed my games leaving the high-end ones / commonly played ones on my SSD. I then used command prompt and the mklink /J command to junction the other games over to my HDD.

This freed up space on my SSD, but still allowed my commonly used/high end games to benefit from the performance boost.

You can do that, but Steam itself doesn't let you designate where to install games. So I just say that the games have to all be on the SSD or HDD.
I would assume someone asking for SSD advice this "simple" (No offense OP) wouldnt know how to do it, so I just dont mention it too not complicate matters.

MajorGunHo

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

Ok fair enough!

hmdot

Honorable
May 7, 2012

Thank you I'll give it a look, lots of good stuff on this forum!