Sign in with
Your question

SSD

Last response: in Storage
September 18, 2012 2:39:13 AM

I've just installed a SSD for my system and I'm a newbie at this, but my question is:
Is it better to install Windows system to the SSD and all of my programs to another drive?

More about : ssd

a c 102 G Storage
September 18, 2012 2:42:24 AM

Install Windows and any important/commonly used programs to the SSD. The rest of the programs and files go on the HDD.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
September 18, 2012 2:44:08 AM

How big is your drive?
m
l
September 18, 2012 2:47:00 AM

kajabla said:
How big is your drive?

120GB and getting full quick.
m
l
September 18, 2012 2:55:27 AM

manofchalk said:
Install Windows and any important/commonly used programs to the SSD. The rest of the programs and files go on the HDD.

Thank you, I'm filling it up quick!
m
l
September 18, 2012 2:57:01 AM

edogawa said:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/270102-32-useful-arti...

All data should be stored on the other drive, but only the OS and commonly used programs should be on the SSD. I provided a useful link above for further information.

That's a lot of good info and I have some reading to do.....Thank You for the Help.
m
l
a c 102 G Storage
September 18, 2012 2:58:09 AM

Should be enough.
You lose 9GB to formatting, then ~20GB for the OS.

Also if you have a large Steam library, it will have to go on the HDD. You cant designate where each game goes when you use Steam, it will just install to where Steam itself is located. You have to install Steam to the HDD.
In general its better to have games on the HDD, they dont benefit much except for load times.

Dont forget to move the Page File to the HDD, that will get you back the same amount of storage as your physical RAM.
m
l
September 18, 2012 3:07:49 AM

manofchalk said:
Should be enough.

Also if you have a large Steam library, it will have to go on the HDD. You cant designate where each game goes when you use Steam, it will just install to where Steam itself is located. You have to install Steam to the HDD.
In general its better to have games on the HDD, they dont benefit much except for load times.

Dont forget to move the Page File to the HDD, that will get you back the same amount of storage as your physical RAM.

Thanks again manofchalk I can use all the info I can get to keep this up to speed.
m
l
September 21, 2012 3:58:21 AM

manofchalk said:
Should be enough.

I don't believe this is quite true.

I installed Steam to my SSD. And then I installed my games leaving the high-end ones / commonly played ones on my SSD. I then used command prompt and the mklink /J command to junction the other games over to my HDD.

This freed up space on my SSD, but still allowed my commonly used/high end games to benefit from the performance boost.
m
l
a c 102 G Storage
September 21, 2012 5:22:47 AM

MajorGunHo said:

I installed Steam to my SSD. And then I installed my games leaving the high-end ones / commonly played ones on my SSD. I then used command prompt and the mklink /J command to junction the other games over to my HDD.

You can do that, but Steam itself doesn't let you designate where to install games. So I just say that the games have to all be on the SSD or HDD.
I would assume someone asking for SSD advice this "simple" (No offense OP) wouldnt know how to do it, so I just dont mention it too not complicate matters.
m
l
September 21, 2012 4:59:49 PM

manofchalk said:
You can do that, but Steam itself doesn't let you designate where to install games. So I just say that the games have to all be on the SSD or HDD.
I would assume someone asking for SSD advice this "simple" (No offense OP) wouldnt know how to do it, so I just dont mention it too not complicate matters.

Ok fair enough!
m
l
a b G Storage
September 22, 2012 1:55:30 AM

Steam actually does let you relocate your install folder. All your games just have to be in one place.
m
l
!