Quadro fx 350m windows 7 driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

foreverodd

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
Hi,

I am trying to run Win 7 on my Dell M65 with a Quadro FX 350M graphics card, however, the display driver does not work. The suggestion was to try a Win Vista driver, however, that 'causes my machine to do a physical memory dump at boot up, forcing me to boot into safe mode to revert to the driver windows automatically installs (which doesn't provide good quality with crappy video playback, etc.).

Does anyone know where I can get a driver that will actually function on my M65, or is it not feasible?

Thanks.

Solution
I'm working on the same sort of setup - 32bit Win 7 on an M65 with a FX Quadro 350M Driver. At the moment, there are no stable drivers for this setup.

Foreverodd, the key to getting the installer to work is to make sure to run it under Vista or XP compatibility. However, even then the drivers are shaky at best.

Booting is fine. However, there are some other problems...
1.) You can set your resolution, but this resets once you reboot your computer
2.) The NVIDIA control panel will sometimes force a memory dump
3.) A memory dump will also occur if you try to do a performance test on the system.

I've tried multiple XP and Vista drivers at this point, but none are stable.

Edit: And ironically the worst drivers I've found for this are...

foreverodd

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
I don't know if that will work, as I have the 32bit version of Win 7 and for the driver I found it went as low as the FX360M, but I have the one below, which is the FX350M.

Do you know if their is a 32bit version for that one?

Thanks

foreverodd

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
When attempting to use the Win XP drivers (http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook_winxp_197.16_whql.html), upon installation I get the error message:

Setup detected that the operating system in use is not Windows 2000 or XP. The setup program and its associated drivers are designed to run only on Windows 2000 or XP. The installation will be terminated.

I have also tried the 197.90-Quadro-win7-winvista-32bit-english-whql drivers but get the message:

The NVIDIA setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. Setup will now exit.

You would think someone else out their would have this card as well and wishing to use Win 7.

Thank-you for your help and patience... I hope more ideas will spring from the wood works. :)

PopeOnABomb

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
I'm working on the same sort of setup - 32bit Win 7 on an M65 with a FX Quadro 350M Driver. At the moment, there are no stable drivers for this setup.

Foreverodd, the key to getting the installer to work is to make sure to run it under Vista or XP compatibility. However, even then the drivers are shaky at best.

Booting is fine. However, there are some other problems...
1.) You can set your resolution, but this resets once you reboot your computer
2.) The NVIDIA control panel will sometimes force a memory dump
3.) A memory dump will also occur if you try to do a performance test on the system.

I've tried multiple XP and Vista drivers at this point, but none are stable.

Edit: And ironically the worst drivers I've found for this are any of the available drivers from the NVidia website. I finally found drivers on the Dell website that are usable. At this point I know which scenarios causes the memory dump, so I just avoid this situations.

Solution

foreverodd

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
Interesting. I ended up getting artifacts (after a particular install of a driver which flashed the onboard chip) and so I had to get Dell to replace my motherboard (because the graphics is on-board), but thankfully it went just prior to my warranty expiring. At this point, I was frustrated and just went back to Vista which at least, for me, runs stable on my M65.

I need my laptop to get me through my last stretch of university, so after my motherboard replacement I am just leaving Vista. I need some stability for while I am at school :p

Thanks.

jwdonal

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2010
Ummm...I gotta be honest, I'm not sure what in the world you guys are talking about. Microsoft released Windows 7 32 & 64-bit drivers for the quadro fx 350m back in march 2009. The driver was even in my "Recommended Updates" section in the Control Panel. I installed it on my Precision M65 64-bit Windows 7 system and it's running smooth - not a single problem whatsoever. The windows driver ID for the 32-bit driver is 20254023 (68.6 MB download). The windows driver ID for the 64-bit driver is 20254024 (87.5 MB download). Don't believe me just go to this site (you must use internet explorer to access the site):

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=fx%20350m

I have been running win 7 64-bit on my precision M65 for ages and have not had a single problem with drivers. Am I missing something here?? I don't understand what all the fuss is about...

G

Historically I have found that the built in OS drivers or Windows update drivers were always a bit sub par. However in the case of the FX 350, this doesn't seem to hold true.

When I switched to 64 bit Win7 I first looked to Dell, which offers no Win7 drivers for the M65. So I tried the 64 bit Vista driver which was the only thing I could find that would install. All the nVidia drivers said the hardware wasn't compatible. The Vista driver worked fine, except some apps, mostly the Built in games and Acrobat. When running in full screen, they would split the screen in half and then duplicate the left hand side onto the right hand.

I was about to go back to XP64, when I reinstalled 7 64 and let windows update update the driver. The current driver is the March 2009 Microsoft driver, 7.15.11.7967. While it doesn't feel quite as zippy as it did under XP, all the errors are resolved. However I thought I could up the memory before and allocate some system memory to the GPU before. I can't find away to do that now.

Status
Not open for further replies.