Peptobismol165

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
I'm building a gaming computer and I want a motherboard with Nvidia's SLI feature. Not only that, but I want the graphics cards to run at x16/x16/x8. I don't want to spend over $170. The problem is I can only find AMD motherboards with this feature. To be 100% honest I don't trust AMD. Why? Well...I really can't tell you why! I just fell better if i have an Intel computer. There are two things I'm asking:

1) Can I trust AMD

2) If you could would you find me an Intel motherboard with those features? Maybe you'll have more luck than I do.
(I want a motherboard with Nvidia's SLI feature. Not only that, but I want the graphics cards to run at x16/x16/x8. I don't want to spend over $170)

jrhii

Distinguished
May 8, 2010
In short, yes, they are completely trustable, IMO

In long, what particular aspect of trust are you speaking of? Is it towards the company and their practices, or specifically the functionality of their CPUs?

beranimus

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
So number 1 yes you can trust AMD. I personally prefer Intel but if your on a budget AMD is definitely the way to go (and is what I'm currently running).

And 2 its going to be fairly hard to find an Intel board that will do x16/x16/x8. You would have to go with the LGA 1366 chipset which is for the most part a lot more expensive than LGA 1156. LGA 1156 just cant support that much bandwidth and LGA 1366.

So if you can find an Intel LGA 1366 motherboard that supports what you want for under $170 more power to you. Otherwise AMD is great, they just barely can't keep up with Intel but they are way cheaper.

Hope that helped at least a little. Good luck

1) Yes you can trust AMD

2) If you want to run 3-way SLI, you're going to want an overclocked Intel setup so that you're not CPU limited. That means either an LGA1366 platform with an X58 chipset, or an LGA 1156 board based on a P55 and an NF 200 chip. Neither option is cheap but that's the way it is.