Double Raid 5 (first time doing raid)

sk-jb93

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
Hi all,

I have very little to no knowledge in doing a raid set up but I've recently decided think its probably the best idea that i do set up raid for my next pc because i will have projects and other files in general that are very important and i most not lose them.

before i state the question i will describe what i have, in my current pc 2x1tb, and both are almost full.

1st question: to do a raid 5 set up with 2 hdds do they have to be the exact same model or just two 1tbs hdds?

2nd question: if my two 1tbs are different hdds can i have 2 separate raid 5 set ups going if i bought a second hdd for each one so that ill have 4x1tb?

thank you, any feedback will be appreciated.

As Rogue77777 stated you need at least three drives for raid5. And to get a real advantage you should use a dedicated raid controller, not the raid function of your mobo. It's not easy to get a raid running, but it' way more complicate to get the data back, when it fails! ;)
If you don't want to lose your data, a solid backup strategy is more important. Get one or two external drives and make redundant backups of your files. Or backup to a cloud service.