LC power 500W or Thermal Take 400W

markontije82

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
I want to buy Radeon HD 5770 card, and dont know which psu to buy?! LC 500W or TT 400W? In specification both have 1 * 6pin pci-e connector!!! And price is very similar about 30 euros.

markontije82

Distinguished
May 24, 2010

Yeah, thats the one!

It is my understanding that it has 350 watt total for the combined +12 volt rails which is 29 amps, it is plenty for HD5770. I even found a thread in here that has somebody running a HD4890 on it.

rattman169

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
you can, but the ones that run with not the minimum required are the first ones to see the PSU short out, Even a high quality (Antec, etc) can still overload the rail and take everything out, that is why you run what manufacturer recommends. If not, well when you have to replace PSU, Mobo, CPU, Video, it's got a price. I jusy like having my PC a lot longer and no issues then a big paper weight because not following recommendations. Not saying it will even happen, but it only needs to happen once and that's all folks (seen this happen 2 months after new PC built with 450 Watt Antec going boom and taking out the Mobo and Videocard, a Radeon HD3870) everyone told him it would run fine, cost him like and extra $300 to get his system up and running again, his wife was p!$$ed.

Going by the wattage is not enough. A Corsair CX400 has stronger +12 volt rail than many 450-500watt generic units. I have a spare 580watt unit that only has 19 amps on the +12 volt rail, there is no way I would trust it for the life of a HD5770 although it meets the specs by your definition!
Manufacturers recommendation are based on generic PSU´s!

rattman169

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
see, that's what I believe, a less then popular brand PSU I wouldn't trust. I had a 480 Watt for my old pentium D820, it had 1 12V rail @18 Amps, everything ran stock and had a BFG 6800GT OC AGP in the system, should have had no problem, blew the card 2 times (lifetime warranty). Nothing else let go mind you, just the videocard, so I changed PSU for an Enermax 375 Watt (friend gave it to me), had less issues with that PSU and well didn't have an issue with it. Strange, but I still would have preferred more overall wattage so I did that with a quality PSU with more wattage then I needed this time and have not had any issues what so ever, of course not really pushing new PSU now so that helps. I guess you get what you pay for as the saying goes, oh and on another note, I noticed my cousin is going through the need to change PSU every 6 months because she buys no name PSU, and not to say she has a powerful machine (2.4HT socket 478, intel board, using all onboard components, 160Gb HDD and 1 DVDRW, no videogaming and the PSU she gets is 500Watts with 1 22Amp 12V rail)