How to get Nvidia 650i sli motherboard to run a single card at 16x

Prophet_05

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
Hi,
I currently have a single msi GTX 560ti card running on my nvidia 650i sli motherboard. The bus speed is only at 8x, I am not sure how to switch it from 8x to 16x. Previously the motherboard ran two 8800GTs in SLI mode (causing the bus speed to run at 8x only).

Just wondering if anyone knows who to switch it from 8x for two PCIe slots to 16x for a single PCIe slot.

Solution

Dell didn't disable anything, they simply provided a lower end board that only runs at 8x electrically, they didn't make them they bought them, you could have bought a similar board from Newegg at the time or , having been able to read the specs, opted for a full 650i .
Tests have been done, a long time ago, and there was minimal performance loss between 16x and 8x and that was only with the most powerful cards.
Really isn't a problem.

Prophet_05

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
Yes i have looked at this and thought it would run at 16x but is says in the nvidia control panel that the pcie bus speed is only running at 8x. It may just be that the manufacturer of my board (Dell) has disabled the 16x feature and left the settings at 8x for each slot as default.

Dell didn't disable anything, they simply provided a lower end board that only runs at 8x electrically, they didn't make them they bought them, you could have bought a similar board from Newegg at the time or , having been able to read the specs, opted for a full 650i .
Tests have been done, a long time ago, and there was minimal performance loss between 16x and 8x and that was only with the most powerful cards.
Really isn't a problem.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS