Ram and PSU choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

trevor011

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Hi everyone... I just need some suggestions on what ram modules and PSU is best for my somewhat home/gaming rig.. Im on a limited so perhaps a bang for the buck choice is well appricated.. don't plan to upgrade in 3 yrs.. :D

choices are:

RAM:
Gskill Ripjaws 4gb 2gbx2 DDR3 1600 CL9
Gskill Ripjaws-X 4gb 2gbx2 DDR3 1600 CL9
OCZ 4gb 2gbx2 DDR3 1600 CL9

PSU:
OCZ 500w ModXStream Pro 80+ Modular
Corsair TX650
OCZ 700w Fatal1ty Series 80plus
*** pls don't suggest any other brands/models aside from the one's stated above.. these are the only hi-quality psu's available in my country right now)..

Okay, so based on the product description of the ram, the gskill is optimized for intel core series.. but i'm using amd :( ..
is this compatible w/ my current set up and which PSU is more suited to build (will play some games on hi details) :

phenom ii x2 555 @ stock (planning on some little OC'ing and unlocking cores)
msi 785g-e53 mobo
500gb hdd (i believe it's not the 7200rpm type)
5770 (no plans to CF cards)
samsung 24x optical drive

will add 4x120mm TT hi performance fans (im living in a tropical country, and man temps really are high), and 1 addt'l 1TB 7200 rpm HDD ...

looking forward to your suggestions..

tnx

Solution
Any of the RAM kits you've listed would be fine. They have equivalent specs. I have OCZ RAM in my system and it works great. I would have to say, lately, RAM is a commodity; all speeds being equal. Most companies are pumping out decent-quality RAM. Go for the lowest price in this case.

I like the Corsair power units. The general consensus is they are very reliable and high quality. I have a TX950 and I guess the best thing you can say about a power supply is it powers everything you need it to and you don't have to think about it. If the TX650 you're looking at is a V2, it also has a 80-plus bronze rating. Either way, though, I'd go with the Corsair.
Any of the RAM kits you've listed would be fine. They have equivalent specs. I have OCZ RAM in my system and it works great. I would have to say, lately, RAM is a commodity; all speeds being equal. Most companies are pumping out decent-quality RAM. Go for the lowest price in this case.

I like the Corsair power units. The general consensus is they are very reliable and high quality. I have a TX950 and I guess the best thing you can say about a power supply is it powers everything you need it to and you don't have to think about it. If the TX650 you're looking at is a V2, it also has a 80-plus bronze rating. Either way, though, I'd go with the Corsair.

Solution

trevor011

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
ok tnx.. one more thing, i've reviewed my mobo specs, memory speeds supported is up to 1600 (OC). I assume, you'll have to tweak the voltages on the ram to make this work???

tnx

Status
Not open for further replies.