Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Want to copy HDD data

Last response: in Storage
September 18, 2012 2:34:15 PM

Ok so my computer is broken (something happened to the mobo or cpu) and I'm going to build a new one.
I would like to use my old HDD on the new one but I don't know if I can.
I had Vista OEM on my pc and I would like to copy some of the stuff I have on the HDD.
Is it possible? If yes, how?

More about : copy hdd data

a b G Storage
September 18, 2012 3:07:47 PM

So in essence you have no system but are asking how to move the contents from the old HDD to another HDD so that you can use the old HDD in the new system???
m
l
a c 81 G Storage
September 18, 2012 3:32:39 PM

You could get a usb drive, and then when you get your new system, the first thing you would have to do is use a linix live cd to boot your system up, and copy your data from the hard drive to the usb drive. This would have to be done before you can install an OS on the drive.
How old is the drive, and is it SATA or IDE. If it is IDE I would strongly suggest you get a newer SATA drive - many new motherboards don't have IDE. You can get an external usb enclosure for an ide drive, and then copy the data to your new drive this way, and then use this drive for backups.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
September 18, 2012 3:55:48 PM

I've done this many times myself. Build your new box from scratch including a new HDD/SSD and OS. When everything is up and running to your satisfaction install the old HDD as a second drive and migrate your data at your convenience. You could also put the old HDD in an external enclosure if you prefer.
m
l
September 19, 2012 11:06:43 AM

Well i'm going to build a new system, and I want to copy the data from the old HDD to the one on my new system.
I think it's SATA.
So the OS i had on it doesn't matter right?
m
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
September 19, 2012 3:04:53 PM

Vadendil said:
Well i'm going to build a new system, and I want to copy the data from the old HDD to the one on my new system.
I think it's SATA.
So the OS i had on it doesn't matter right?

If I understand you correctly, build your new system including the new drive, install the OS and once the system is up and running then you can copy the contents off your old HDD onto your new HDD and do with what you wish with the old HDD.

Is this your intent?

If you plan on using the so called old HDD for the new system then as mentioned earlier in this post, please ensure to copy all the important off the old HDD prior to using it in your new system.

Hope this helps.
September 19, 2012 4:06:23 PM

Best answer selected by Vadendil.
m
l
!