Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Sapphire 5850 Toxic Problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 7, 2010 12:44:44 AM

Hello,

I am experiencing an unusual (for me anyway) problem with my video card. I was in the middle of playing a game on the computer and all of a sudden, my graphics crashed, and a got a strange orange screen that flickered then froze. I restarted the computer, and upon the log in for windows 7, i notices some weird lines going across the top of my screen. When i log in, the graphics on my desktop are messed up, and after a couple of seconds the whole system crashes.

I logged into safe mode with no problem at all. Then, i uninstalled my video card drivers and rebooted into windows 7 normal. Using the generic driver windows assigns, I am having no issues. I reinstalled the catalyst CD that came with my card, and upon reboot using ATI's driver, i get the same graphic issues i had before.

I don't know if its a problem with the card itself, the drivers etc. I built this computer in march, and really haven't had any problems since. Any suggestions on how to better diagnose the problem?

Below is the system specs

Asus Premium x58 board
6 gigs of Ram
Windows 7 64 bit
Radeon 5850 Sapphire Toxic

The card does not feel hot, and all temps appear to be in order.

Thanks in advance for your expertise!

Regards,

Nova64
June 7, 2010 12:35:53 PM

Quote:
Never install the drivers from the cd that comes with the card.

^
until now, i'm still use the driver from the CD (9.7) .. :) 
My card is HIS HD4850, and still have zero problem... :D 
Related resources
June 7, 2010 2:44:48 PM

I am using a Corsair 850 Watt modular power supply

I uninstalled the ATI software, and started from scratch with the 10.5 drivers last nigh off the website. I had the same problem, and ended up blue-screening. Could it a be a memory problem with the card?

When windows uses its generic drivers, does it use the system RAM or something? I don't know why it functions (albeit not at 1920x1080 res) fine with the generic but not fine with the correct drivers.

Below is the entire build in case anyone is thinking power issues (which i think i should be fine on)

Asus P6X58D
i7 930 CPU
6 gigs Corsair Dominator ram
SAPPHIRE TOXIC 100282TXSR Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
1 TB WD HD
Cooler Master V8 CPU Cooler
CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-850HX 850W
Cooler Master HAF 932 Case
ASUS DVD Drive
12 in 1 Card Reader
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
ASUS VE246H Black 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor
June 7, 2010 5:24:43 PM

More information: The game i was playing was SC2 Beta. After reading another thread on the forums it appears someone else had the same crash mid game. However the difference being that i cannot get my card to work. Is there some sort of drive cleaner i should be using when un-installing the driver and ATI software, then do a clean install? Could there be something that bugged out? I am very confused, and before i RMA the card i want to exhaust as many options as i can.
June 7, 2010 5:37:41 PM

nova64 said:
More information: The game i was playing was SC2 Beta. After reading another thread on the forums it appears someone else had the same crash mid game. However the difference being that i cannot get my card to work. Is there some sort of drive cleaner i should be using when un-installing the driver and ATI software, then do a clean install? Could there be something that bugged out? I am very confused, and before i RMA the card i want to exhaust as many options as i can.

Well I was in more worst situation thn you are right now...getting strange screens and game crashing every 30 seconds..
so this is what i did..give it a try for once
install 10.4 catalyst..drivers...
choose ati overdrive..
from the stock frequencies 725/1000mhz down it to 675/950 mhz...(GPU and memory frequency) thn test it..
It worked for me..and never had any problem with it and no difference in performance at all
June 7, 2010 5:48:45 PM

i will give a try. I don't know if I was running 10.4 or 10.5 when the first crash happened. I had to uninstall the driver in safe mode and forgot to check which i had when i removed it. However when i re-installed all the drivers it was definitely 10.5. I hope 10.4 works, because i cannot even get into windows 7 using the ATI drivers. I blue screen after 3-4 seconds.
June 7, 2010 5:52:24 PM

yes give it a try...and..make sure you downclock your frequencies to 675 and 950 Mhz...good luck
June 7, 2010 6:15:11 PM

Question - If 10.4 does work and i get into windows 7 w/out any graphic distortion or crash, why down clock the frequencies? Wouldn't i crash or not crash as i enter windows 7?

If my computer automatically installed the 10.5 drivers, i would have been using them since it was released on 5/26. Why all of a sudden a crash 2 weeks later.

Are there any ways to test if its a hardware failure?
June 7, 2010 6:22:50 PM

no thn don't downclock it..and u can say it was the faulty drivers..

I still think it will crash and for now just try downclocking it with your current drivers and check it again..than go with 10.4 and try all that...if you could make sure your gpu is sitting perfectly in your pci slot..)

try it once and than test it to see if any problem occurs..if yes..than u should go for RMA...their new ddr5 memory is giving so many people..this kind of trouble...and tons of faulty hardware are floating everywhere..
June 7, 2010 6:34:24 PM

Good to know. The only thing that concerns me, and maybe i should worry about it when i get home to work on it :) , is that i crash before i can tweak the driver settings. When using the generic drivers i don't have access to the ATI drivers until i install. When i install, the system requires a re-boot, and i crash before i can get into CCC. I really hope 10.4 works, but yeah you could be dead on about the ddr5 memory. The good thing is its under MFG warranty. The bad thing is, ill really miss my PC.
June 8, 2010 6:44:55 PM

well if u can just replace it...i did the same too...even though it was working fine after downclocking..but my new gpu is working fine at stocks speed...earlier it was crashing every 1 minute or so in stocks speed..
like i said lots of faulty hardwares...around..replacing it is the best if u can..
June 8, 2010 7:18:25 PM

Unfortunately, i did not get a chance to tinker with it yesterday. After work today, i will first take the card out, make sure there is no physical damage to the socket or the card. Give it a nice compressed air cleaning, re-seat, then load up the 10.4 drivers, and see what i get. If all works i will update the drives to 10.5 and see what happens. If the 10.4 doesn't work there is a good chance that its a hardware failure as speculated.
June 9, 2010 4:07:35 AM

Well, i started off by reseating the card. I reloaded (using generic vga driver). I installed the 10.4 catalyst driver, and i managed to get into windows with distorted graphics. It did crash after a while. Then, i was getting locked up trying to get into safe mode. Then for some odd reason i got back in normally, and quickly uni stalled the driver. I tried doing a system restore to a point when everything worked, and it told me to do a chkdisk. During this time, windows loaded older radeon 5800 series drivers, it was like 8.6 or something. I did not install that manually. All the graphics seemed to be working.

Then, i restarted the computer thinking that after it ran the disk check, things would be working. Well, I was wrong. Check disk came up fine, and upon windows log in, i started seeing distortion with the 8.6 driver.

I logged in, and shortly therafter blue screened, it did a memory dump, and restarted. I logged into safe mode, and unistalled that driver as well.

Is it safe to assume this card needs to go back the MFG?

June 9, 2010 5:32:53 AM

OK, i just sent the RMA request. Thank you all for helping. I will update you once the new card is received, then ill just keep my figures crossed. Thanks again.

Best solution

June 9, 2010 5:34:12 AM

yes it is a faulty card...drivers are not an issue...try replacing it
June 20, 2010 2:43:17 AM

Problem solved...bad card after all. thanks for the help all!
June 20, 2010 2:45:17 AM

Best answer selected by nova64.
June 20, 2010 4:40:20 PM

nice :)  no problem..happy gaming
!