twilothunder

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
hello,

i recently upgraded to an i7 system (i7 930/asus p6t mobo/corsair ram), and ive noticed that when the power saving features of the cpu are enabled in the bios (c1e, intel speedstep, c1/c3/c6, etc) i hear a whining/humming coming from inside my case. ive done a bit of reading and have come to the conclusion that this noise comes from the voltage regulator components of the motherboard. unfortunately, i am very sensitive to this particular noise, and i realize that disabling the power saving features in the bios will get rid of this noise (ive tried disabling them and the noise disappears), but i would like to be able to leave them on so i can have better temps and keep my cpu's fan speed to a minimum while not playing games. ive read that putting paraffin wax on the the regulator coil, or other voltage regulation components of the motherboard may solve the noise problem; however, i am not very knowledgeable about electronic components on a motherboard, so i dont know exactly how or which components to cover with paraffin wax to solve my problem.

i am hoping that there is someone else who has had experience with this particular type of issue that can give me some answers to:

- what type of paraffin wax to use, and if it is not electrically conductive, and will it melt due to the temps produced by my motherboard.

- where i can find the culprit voltage regular on my mobo (asus p6t)

- any suggestions as to how to apply the paraffin wax

- is it possible to remove the paraffin wax should i have to rma the mobo?

- any alternate suggestions or solutions to this problem besides using paraffin wax?

any input would be appreciated.

thanks.

A slight misspelling there by myself, sorry.
Blu - Tack = reusable adhesive, sort of like a type of sticky silly putty.

414VDvZdV9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It's non conductive and can take the kind of temps that your coils will run at, as for overheating you would only need to put a small blob on the bits that are vibrating the same as you would do if you were to use wax and if covering things with wax is not going to cause overheating then why should a small blob of Blu-Tack cause things to melt?

twilothunder

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010

truthfully, i dont know too much about the subject and information about it seems to be in small quantity, so i dont really know whether or not putting wax on the coil would cause heat issues. i guess if i were to put it on id just sortof be hoping for the best, haha.

one last question though: is it easy to remove the blu-tack once its been applied?

thanks.