Athlon II X4 640 vs. Phenom II X4 945

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bbpsword

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
I am wondering whether to get an Athlon II X4 640 or a Phenom II X4 945. I will be running a 5850 w/ this system. The Athlon II X4 seems to be about the same performance for 30 bucks less. Worth it? I am on a VERY tight budget, and any money savings would be stellar.

Solution
I have a phenom II 945. I am currently sitting on a +500 mhz OC. I can't hit 3.6 stable. Honestly, I am not thrilled. It's too close in price to a BE, and not a very good dollar/performance when compared to a athlon II 640.
However, with that said, if you have no plans to OC, than the 945 is great, because it is the top line amd with less heat. With a cooler master tx3 and all the power savings features, mine idles around 27 celsius (slightly above room temperature) and might hit 35 max with full fan on prime95 stress test

ScoobyJooby-Jew

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
I have a phenom II 945. I am currently sitting on a +500 mhz OC. I can't hit 3.6 stable. Honestly, I am not thrilled. It's too close in price to a BE, and not a very good dollar/performance when compared to a athlon II 640.
However, with that said, if you have no plans to OC, than the 945 is great, because it is the top line amd with less heat. With a cooler master tx3 and all the power savings features, mine idles around 27 celsius (slightly above room temperature) and might hit 35 max with full fan on prime95 stress test

Solution

Bbpsword

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
Sounds like I'll get the Black Edition. If anything is going to be obsolete, I might as well get the one that will overclock much more and be less obsolete than the others down the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.