Why does my XP machine on an AMD duel core outperform...

jmwcctx

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
OK-duel is an AMD 2.7 Athlon 7750 Dual-Core, 256kb primary cache, 512kb secondary cache. Quad is a 2.5 Phenom 9850B Quad Core, 512kb primary memory cache, 2048 kb secondary memory cache, 2048 kb tertiary memory cache. Both are 64-bit ready and neither is hyperthreaded.

jmwcctx

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
Thanks for all your help, folks. I got it figured out and learned about single-thread and mult-thread operations. It was informative and a worthwhile conversation. Thought I'd post a follow-up to thank you folks and hopefully help somebody else with any similar issues.

First, I wasn't talking milliseconds on near-simultaneous executes--I was talking ten seconds or more. It didn't make any sense. I noticed that I kept getting a message about the ASUS Express Gate not being installed completely (or configured correctly--I don't remember which). But I started thinking that maybe something had been screwed up out of the box since this was a preinstalled product. I checked the BIOS and it was the right version, but something just didn't add up, so I flashed the BIOS. WHAM! It kicked in the second I rebooted. All of a sudden it saw 1920MB of memory where it'd just seen 1530MB before. Everything went to work as I thought it should have from the beginning.

Hope this helps anybody else that might have the same issue. Again, it was an ASUS M3N78-VM. And again, thanks for all your tips and advice. Would still like a good benchmarking program if any of you have any suggestions.

smithereen

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008

Not always true - a 2.66GHZ Core i7 is faster in single-threaded applications than a 2.8GHZ Pentium IV. But in similar/identical architectures like these, it is.

TRENDING THREADS