Solved

Upgrading from 9800GTX+

So I have a 9800GTX+ 512MB by ASUS. I was thinking about upgrading to a 5850 2GB TOXIC Sapphire GPU... Question is would it be worth the upgrade? I have only seen the 5850 in a few youtube videos I don't know anyone who has one. My 9800GTX+ is OC probably around 15-17% extra power over a stock one. Would it be worth the upgrade? I have a AMD rig and would like to just go with ATI card because my M/B is crossfire ready if I wanted to go that route someday. Right now I only want to spend around $300-330MAX and this toxic card seems to fall into my price range, and the question is will it be worth the upgrade?

If it helps any I am a hardcore gamer & want something that can run the games I play maxed out.

If you need to know some of my specs; I have a black edition 965 3.4ghz quad AMD, 4GB Corsair dominator DDR2 ram, 750GB WD 64mb hard drive, onboard 7.1hi def audio, 750watt PSU. My case keeps everything cool it has 2 fans and a large air vent.

Any kind of feedback on this GPU or if you think another GPU would do better for the same price please feel free to share I am wanting lots of opinions.
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrading 9800gtx
  1. Best answer
    If you're going to overclock, get an Asus DirectCU HD5850. Very nice card, capable of beating an HD5870.

If not, then a TOXIC/VAPOR-X card (NOT 2GB) will do fine. Only use 2GB cards if you plan on running resolutions of 2560x1600 or better.

Also, an HD5850 will offer about 80-95% increase over your 9800GTX (meaning it will nearly double your card's performance).
  2. HD5850 would be great upgrade for your rig!
  3. shadow187 said:
    If you're going to overclock, get an Asus DirectCU HD5850. Very nice card, capable of beating an HD5870.

If not, then a TOXIC/VAPOR-X card (NOT 2GB) will do fine. Only use 2GB cards if you plan on running resolutions of 2560x1600 or better.

Also, an HD5850 will offer about 80-95% increase over your 9800GTX (meaning it will nearly double your card's performance).

80-95%?!?! Geez I guess I am really missing out! I must order one now. lol My res is only 1600x900.
  4. It's okay, HD5850 is good for a long term, don't worry about your resolution (1600x900).. :)
  5. Best answer selected by surihtanil.
  6. Quote:
    Quote:
    If it helps any I am a hardcore gamer & want something that can run the games I play maxed out.

Which games?? It certainly won't max out Crysis or STALKER, but it will be a good improvement.

You dont really need to spend the extra on a Toxic. I mean the XFX/Sapphire/Asus boards all will easily overclock past the factory overclocked cards. I got my XFX about 5 weeks ago for $290 from Buy.com.

I play all new titles for the PC, the newest stalker is harsh I can only run it on med right now... I just want the game to run my games on high I don't need AA on. I have become use to not being able to turn it on! LOL I just want something that is stable when I game. Nothing I hate more, when I am playing a game and I die due to lag death or I am just lagging alot
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics