Good gaming router/firewall

I'm looking for a good and inexpensive wired or wireless
router/firewall. Why either? Because I haven't figured out precisely
the topology of my house yet, so if a good firewall is wired and cheap
then so be it.

If wired, I suspect I'll be looking for 802.11g or a. Hopefully the a's
will come down a bit since the 2.4Ghz band is cluttered beyond belief in
my neighborhood. My phone is a non-spread-spectrum 2.4 and is almost
unusable now.

NAT is important to me, and I know I can configure routers to pass
through incoming UDP, but I've still heard that some routers will have
the NAT logic slow down the throughput noticably.

Is this true? Are there any favorite brands out there that you high
speed gamers like?

I am reading some dissatisfaction with both netgear and belkin online.

--
http://www.allexperts.com is a nifty way to get an answer to just about
/anything/.

    Thomas G. Marshall enlightened us with:
    > I'm looking for a good and inexpensive wired or wireless
    > router/firewall.

    I use a simple Linux box. We plugged in a wireless PCI card and it
    worked, so now we have a wireless router as well ;-) It can do NAT, port
    forwarding, network trafic shaping, proxying, and everything else you'd
    like.

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

    "Thomas G. Marshall" <tgm2tothe10thpower@replacetextwithnumber.hotmail.com>
    wrote in message news:lkOsc.16849$yc4.7019@nwrdny02.gnilink.net...

    > I'm looking for a good and inexpensive wired or wireless
    > router/firewall. Why either? Because I haven't figured out precisely
    > the topology of my house yet, so if a good firewall is wired and cheap
    > then so be it.
    >
    > If wired, I suspect I'll be looking for 802.11g or a. Hopefully the a's
    > will come down a bit since the 2.4Ghz band is cluttered beyond belief in
    > my neighborhood. My phone is a non-spread-spectrum 2.4 and is almost
    > unusable now.
    >
    > NAT is important to me, and I know I can configure routers to pass
    > through incoming UDP, but I've still heard that some routers will have
    > the NAT logic slow down the throughput noticably.
    >
    > Is this true? Are there any favorite brands out there that you high
    > speed gamers like?
    >
    > I am reading some dissatisfaction with both netgear and belkin online.
    >
    > --
    > http://www.allexperts.com is a nifty way to get an answer to just about
    > /anything/.

    I use a linksys 8 port wired router, and have never had any issues with it.
    I personally would stay away from wireless, especially if you live in a
    place where wireless is prevalent, like it seems to be in your neighborhood.

    --

    Margolis
    http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm

    wrote in news:lkOsc.16849$yc4.7019@nwrdny02.gnilink.net:

    > I'm looking for a good and inexpensive wired or wireless
    > router/firewall.

    Take somebody's cast-off PC and load this on it:

    http://www.clarkconnect.org/

    Margolis <someone@somewhere.org> coughed up the following:

    > "Thomas G. Marshall"
    > <tgm2tothe10thpower@replacetextwithnumber.hotmail.com> wrote in
    > message news:lkOsc.16849$yc4.7019@nwrdny02.gnilink.net...
    >>
    >> I'm looking for a good and inexpensive wired or wireless
    >> router/firewall. Why either? Because I haven't figured out
    >> precisely
    >> the topology of my house yet, so if a good firewall is wired and
    >> cheap
    >> then so be it.
    >>
    >> If wired, I suspect I'll be looking for 802.11g or a. Hopefully the
    >> a's will come down a bit since the 2.4Ghz band is cluttered beyond
    >> belief in
    >> my neighborhood. My phone is a non-spread-spectrum 2.4 and is almost
    >> unusable now.
    >>
    >> NAT is important to me, and I know I can configure routers to pass
    >> through incoming UDP, but I've still heard that some routers will
    >> have
    >> the NAT logic slow down the throughput noticably.
    >>
    >> Is this true? Are there any favorite brands out there that you high
    >> speed gamers like?
    >>
    >> I am reading some dissatisfaction with both netgear and belkin
    >> online.
    >>
    >> --
    >> http://www.allexperts.com is a nifty way to get an answer to just
    >> about /anything/.
    >>

    > I use a linksys 8 port wired router, and have never had any issues
    > with it.
    > I personally would stay away from wireless, especially if you live in
    > place where wireless is prevalent, like it seems to be in your
    > neighborhood.

    Even 11a? Are any of you experiencing signal collision to any great
    extent yet on A?

    > --
    >
    > Margolis

    http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm
    > http://www.unrealtower.org/faq

    --
    Everythinginlifeisrealative.Apingpongballseemssmalluntilsomeoneramsitupy
    ournose.

    Margolis <someone@somewhere.org> coughed up the following:

    > "Thomas G. Marshall"
    > <tgm2tothe10thpower@replacetextwithnumber.hotmail.com> wrote in
    > message news:lkOsc.16849$yc4.7019@nwrdny02.gnilink.net...
    >>
    >> I'm looking for a good and inexpensive wired or wireless
    >> router/firewall. Why either? Because I haven't figured out
    >> precisely
    >> the topology of my house yet, so if a good firewall is wired and
    >> cheap
    >> then so be it.
    >>
    >> If wired, I suspect I'll be looking for 802.11g or a. Hopefully the
    >> a's will come down a bit since the 2.4Ghz band is cluttered beyond
    >> belief in
    >> my neighborhood. My phone is a non-spread-spectrum 2.4 and is almost
    >> unusable now.
    >>
    >> NAT is important to me, and I know I can configure routers to pass
    >> through incoming UDP, but I've still heard that some routers will
    >> have
    >> the NAT logic slow down the throughput noticably.
    >>
    >> Is this true? Are there any favorite brands out there that you high
    >> speed gamers like?
    >>
    >> I am reading some dissatisfaction with both netgear and belkin
    >> online.
    >>
    >> --
    >> http://www.allexperts.com is a nifty way to get an answer to just
    >> about /anything/.
    >>

    > I use a linksys 8 port wired router, and have never had any issues
    > with it.

    Great! Do you by any chance have a model number handy?

    Thanks!

    > I personally would stay away from wireless, especially if you live in
    > place where wireless is prevalent, like it seems to be in your
    > neighborhood.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Margolis

    http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm
    > http://www.unrealtower.org/faq

    --
    Everythinginlifeisrealative.Apingpongballseemssmalluntilsomeoneramsitupy
    ournose.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    wrote in message news:UU3tc.22317$yc4.11052@nwrdny02.gnilink.net...

    > Great! Do you by any chance have a model number handy?
    >
    > Thanks!

    I use the befsr81 which is the 8 port. there is also something like the
    befsr41 which is the same except it is 4port. I have never tried any of
    the wireless routers, since I am a wired type of guy, so I can't comment on
    their functionality.

    --

    Margolis
    http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm
    http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    "ScratchMonkey" <ScratchMonkey.blacklist@sewingwitch.com> wrote in message

    > Take somebody's cast-off PC and load this on it:
    >
    > http://www.clarkconnect.org/

    the only problem with that is that you have to have a whole shitload of
    nic's in the machine. One for the internet connection and then one for each
    computer to connect too. And then because it is a software solution, it
    will be slower than a hardware router, especially if a slow computer is
    used for it.

    --

    Margolis
    http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm
    http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Margolis wrote:
    > "Thomas G. Marshall" <tgm2tothe10thpower@replacetextwithnumber.hotmail.com>
    > wrote in message news:UU3tc.22317$yc4.11052@nwrdny02.gnilink.net...
    >
    >>Great! Do you by any chance have a model number handy?
    >>
    >>Thanks!
    >>
    > I use the befsr81 which is the 8 port. there is also something like the
    > befsr41 which is the same except it is 4port. I have never tried any of
    > the wireless routers, since I am a wired type of guy, so I can't comment on
    > their functionality.

    I have the 41 and it works great.

    --
    Servo

    "Shop smart! Shop S-Mart!"

    tservo100 at
    ameritech dot net

    Slow, fiery death to all spammers!
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Margolis wrote:

    >> Take somebody's cast-off PC and load this on it:
    >>
    >> http://www.clarkconnect.org/

    Or smoothwall
    http://www.smoothwall.org

    > the only problem with that is that you have to have a whole shitload of
    > nic's in the machine. One for the internet connection and then one for
    > each
    > computer to connect too.

    Not quite right, one in and one out and a little hub or switch.

    > And then because it is a software solution, it
    > will be slower than a hardware router, especially if a slow computer is
    > used for it.

    Well thats a complete crock of misinformed nonsense. What do you think makes
    your "hardware" router work? Yup, thats right, software. What are you
    doing, do you think, when you upgrade the firmware? Yup, thats right,
    installing a new version of the software that makes your device function.
    A old 486 or pentium something or other has no problems whatsoever handling
    the routing functions and as Meltdown said it can do so much more as well.

    --
    sid
    RLU 300284 Mdk 10 2.6.3-13

    > Not quite right, one in and one out and a little hub or switch.

    That is true if the server doesn't have to host any computers (serving
    alone.. duh!). We all know every client needs a network card to connect
    to a network, don't we.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    sid <sidshouse@thecrap.blueyonder.co.uk> coughed up the following:

    > Margolis wrote:
    >
    >>> Take somebody's cast-off PC and load this on it:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.clarkconnect.org/
    >
    > Or smoothwall
    > http://www.smoothwall.org
    >

    >> the only problem with that is that you have to have a whole shitload
    >> of nic's in the machine. One for the internet connection and then
    >> one for each
    >> computer to connect too.
    >
    > Not quite right, one in and one out and a little hub or switch.
    >
    >> And then because it is a software solution, it
    >> will be slower than a hardware router, especially if a slow
    >> computer is used for it.
    >
    > Well thats a complete crock of misinformed nonsense. What do you
    > think makes your "hardware" router work? Yup, thats right, software.

    I was guessing that it might be stamped out as microcode (not assembly)
    by now, given how long these things have been out. That's a much lower
    level notion of "programming" and is part of hardware design.

    Again, I "guess".

    > What are you doing, do you think, when you upgrade the firmware? Yup,
    > thats right, installing a new version of the software that makes your
    > device function.
    > A old 486 or pentium something or other has no problems whatsoever
    > handling the routing functions and as Meltdown said it can do so much
    > more as well.
    >
    > --
    > sid
    > RLU 300284 Mdk 10 2.6.3-13
    > My barber's getting very hard of hearing,
    > I asked him to make me look like a *count*.....

    --
    http://www.allexperts.com is a nifty way to get an answer to just about
    /anything/.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    "sid" <sidshouse@thecrap.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Well thats a complete crock of misinformed nonsense.

    the only crock here is worthless flamers like you that don't even take the
    time to actually think about what was said ;o(

    --

    Margolis
    http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm
    http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    wrote in news:Z_utc.27396$yc4.11240@nwrdny02.gnilink.net:

    > I was guessing that it might be stamped out as microcode (not assembly)
    > by now, given how long these things have been out. That's a much lower
    > level notion of "programming" and is part of hardware design.

    Such things exist, but only in expensive routers that need to swing massive
    amounts of bandwidth on the backbone. The fancier ones do it optically,
    swinging micro-mechanical mirrors to direct traffic from one fiber port to
    another.

    Ordinary residential routers are just cheap micros that move packets in
    software. Linksys is using Linux in its routers, but some companies may use
    a proprietary little OS for the job. I expect ARM processors to be pretty
    popular for these things.

    I've served over a hundred workstations with a P266 with 128 MB of memory
    running Red Hat 7.2, while it's simultaneously scanning inbound email for
    spam with SpamAssassin. Routing and firewalling take very little resources,
    and it hums right along even when the box is otherwise lagged out scanning
    spam and I can't shell into it from the load.

    I don't know if Clarkconnect includes any shaping stuff, but if it doesn't,
    grab the Wondershaper script at http://lartc.org/. This is just a shell
    script that sets the Linux traffic shaping kernel system to protect your
    game clients from your P2P clients, making routing more "fair" by
    prioritizing "real time" traffic and setting up a round robin packet
    queuing system. (The default Linux queue is just a FIFO, but there's
    machinery for very elaborate queuing strategies in there if you know how to
    get at it.) For Wondershaper, set two values at the top of the script for
    your upload and download speed and run it to set up the kernel queues.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    "Margolis" <someone@somewhere.org> wrote in

    > the only problem with that is that you have to have a whole shitload
    > of nic's in the machine. One for the internet connection and then one
    > for each computer to connect too.

    Use an external switch. Then you need two NIC's, one for the WAN and one
    for the LAN. Commercial residential routers normally include a small switch
    inside the box.

    Note that I only recommend this if you already have a cast-off box and some
    NIC's lying about, and you want the extreme flexibility that Linux gives
    you. Most gamers can get away with the capability of an off-the-shelf
    residential router.

    I use a Linux gateway because it also serves as a mail hub and I like the
    ability to shape traffic to protect game traffic from P2P, web, and mail
    traffic. All my UDP goes to the front of the line, while the rest of the
    bulk stuff takes the slow boat.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Margolis wrote:

    > "sid" <sidshouse@thecrap.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> Well thats a complete crock of misinformed nonsense.
    >

    > the only crock here is worthless flamers like you that don't even take the
    > time to actually think about what was said ;o(

    There is no need to be so touchy, I cant see where I have deserved your
    insults. What you said is wrong thats all I was trying to point out. As
    far as thinking about what was said goes, I obviously did as I replied
    directly to the point made by you which is more than can be said of your
    reply to me.

    --
    sid
    RLU 300284 Mdk 10 2.6.3-13
    My barber's getting very hard of hearing,
    I asked him to make me look like a *count*.....
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    > "Margolis" <someone@somewhere.org> wrote in
    >

    > Use an external switch. Then you need two NIC's, one for the WAN and one

    ok, didn't think of that. I was thinking you meant to use the computer buy
    itself.

    If you already have an old computer and a switch this might not be a bad
    idea. But if you have to buy a switch, then it seems that going the
    commercial router way would be more economical, since the routers like these
    cheap linksys don't really cost much more than a plain switch costs ;o(

    I can see why you are doing it your way though. You are doing a lot more
    with your 'extra' computer/router/firewall than most gamers will need ;o)

    --

    Margolis
    http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm
    http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    sid <sidshouse@thecrap.blueyonder.co.uk> coughed up the following:

    > Margolis wrote:
    >

    >> "sid" <sidshouse@thecrap.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>> Well thats a complete crock of misinformed nonsense.
    >>

    >> the only crock here is worthless flamers like you that don't even
    >> take the time to actually think about what was said ;o(
    >>
    > There is no need to be so touchy, I cant see where I have deserved
    > your insults. What you said is wrong thats all I was trying to point
    > out. As far as thinking about what was said goes, I obviously did as
    > I replied directly to the point made by you which is more than can be
    > said of your reply to me.

    I might have reacted the same way. Your statements

    Well thats a complete crock of misinformed
    nonsense. What do you think makes your
    "hardware" router work? Yup, thats right, software.

    really sound as if you are trying to intentionally belittle and insult
    rather than merely disagree. But it seems that you were technically
    correct.

    > --
    > sid
    > RLU 300284 Mdk 10 2.6.3-13
    > My barber's getting very hard of hearing,
    > I asked him to make me look like a *count*.....

    It took a second before I got this. Toooooo funny..... :)

    --
    http://www.allexperts.com is a nifty way to get an answer to just about
    /anything/.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

    > I might have reacted the same way. Your statements
    >
    > Well thats a complete crock of misinformed
    > nonsense. What do you think makes your
    > "hardware" router work? Yup, thats right, software.
    >
    > really sound as if you are trying to intentionally belittle and insult
    > rather than merely disagree. But it seems that you were technically
    > correct.

    I appreciate that, but I was replying to a blanket statement that was given
    in a manner that implied it was the truth. Completely false statements are
    always going to be met, rightly or wrongly, with a certain amount of
    derision. Usenet should not really be taken too personally, should it?

    >> --
    >> sid
    >> RLU 300284 Mdk 10 2.6.3-13
    >> My barber's getting very hard of hearing,
    >> I asked him to make me look like a *count*.....
    >

    > It took a second before I got this. Toooooo funny..... :)

    You're the first to comment on this, I don't know how many *do* get it, but
    I agree with you. :o)

    --
    sid
    RLU 300284 Mdk 10 2.6.3-13
    My barber's getting very hard of hearing,
    I asked him to make me look like a *count*.....
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    > I appreciate that, but I was replying to a blanket statement that was
    given
    > in a manner that implied it was the truth. Completely false statements are
    > always going to be met, rightly or wrongly, with a certain amount of
    > derision. Usenet should not really be taken too personally, should it?

    Yes usenet is personal when you flame like that. Usenet is supposed to be
    friendly, especially here in this group. If you were a regular here you
    would know that. And you say I am completely wrong and you are 100% right.
    And that is not the case at all, you make the same mistake that you accuse
    me of. You make a lot of assumptions and statements in your condescending
    flame that are false, yet you say them as if they are the absolute truth.
    ScratchMonkey on the other hand knows how to make valid points and argue
    with civility.

    You seem to think that a hardware router is nothing but a cheap computer
    running a software program, and that is not the case. They have special
    purpose cpu's in them that do one thing and do it well. they also have
    other dedicated hardware that does some of the work. The software is just
    there to help the hardware, it is not doing 100% of the work like a computer
    would be doing. A general purpose cpu like a 486 with a 100% software
    solution is not going to be able to match the performance of a hardware
    router, no matter what you think. It may get the job done, but it is not
    going to be as efficient as a hardware router, imho.

    If you don't know how to behave in a usenet group, especially one like this
    group with a lot of 'friends' in it, then don't post here. We don't need
    more worthless flaming trolls here, and that is exactly how your post came
    across.

    --

    Margolis
    http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm
    http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Margolis wrote:

    > Yes usenet is personal when you flame like that.

    I'm not flaming anyone.

    > Usenet is supposed to be friendly, especially here in this group. If you
    >were a regular here

    I am, and have been for nearly 3 years.

    > you would know that. And you say I am completely >wrong and you are 100%
    > right. And that is not the case at all, you make the same mistake that you
    > accuse
    > me of. You make a lot of assumptions and statements in your condescending
    > flame that are false,

    No, there were 2 statements. Hardware firewalls are running software to
    function and by defenition software is not slower than software.

    > yet you say them as if they are the absolute truth.

    No it wasn't, it raised valid points that you have yet to disprove.

    > so you get no respect from me.

    Oh well

    > ScratchMonkey on the other hand knows how to make valid points and
    > argue with civility.
    >
    > You seem to think that a hardware router is nothing but a cheap computer
    > running a software program, and that is not the case.

    Isn't it? Most especially the cheaper end of the market SOHO routers run
    some sort of embeded linux or *BSD. Expensive things like cisco's have
    there own propriatory O/S.

    > A general purpose cpu like a 486 with a 100% software
    > solution is not going to be able to match the performance of a hardware
    > router, no matter what you think.

    yes it will, a 486 DX100 will max out a 10Mb link, a P2 350 happily handles
    30Mbps input and output and a p3 733 maxes out a 100Mb link, how fast is
    your net connection?

    > It may get the job done, but it is not
    > going to be as efficient as a hardware router, imho.

    yes it is

    > If you don't know how to behave in a usenet group, especially one like
    > this
    > group with a lot of 'friends' in it, then don't post here.

    I do and I will

    > We don't need
    > more worthless flaming trolls here,

    You're the only one calling people names

    > and that is exactly how your post came
    > across.

    I apologise for offending you.

    --
    sid
    RLU 300284 Mdk 10 2.6.3-13
    My barber's getting very hard of hearing,
    I asked him to make me look like a *count*.....
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Margolis enlightened us with:
    > Yes usenet is personal when you flame like that. Usenet is supposed to
    > be friendly, especially here in this group. If you were a regular
    > here you would know that.

    And if you were a regular, you'd know sid is a regular here. Don't make
    assumptions.

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    > But if you have to buy a switch, then it seems that going the
    > commercial router way would be more economical, since the routers like
    > these cheap linksys don't really cost much more than a plain switch
    > costs ;o(

    True. It wasn't always so. When I set up my gateway, there was no such
    thing as a consumer router, and even dumb switches were expensive.
    Everybody used hubs.

    > I can see why you are doing it your way though. You are doing a lot
    > more with your 'extra' computer/router/firewall than most gamers will
    > need ;o)

    Yep, I'm using the gateway as a mail hub. Fetchmail can pull mail from the
    ISP's and do SpamAssassin spam filtering and Clam virus filtering, and
    sendmail on the gateway can queue outbound mail if the connection is down.
    I can ssh in and then tunnel VNC from the office to my home desktop or vice
    versa.
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    sid <sidshouse@thecrap.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in news:Y66uc.679
    $8A1.7441553@news-text.cableinet.net:

    >> You seem to think that a hardware router is nothing but a cheap computer
    >> running a software program, and that is not the case.
    >
    > Isn't it? Most especially the cheaper end of the market SOHO routers run
    > some sort of embeded linux or *BSD. Expensive things like cisco's have
    > there own propriatory O/S.

    Ciscos may also include a "switch fabric", a chipset designed to buffer and
    switch packets with minimal software intervention. Similarly, many modern
    NIC's include a degree of hardware TCP header processing, particularly to
    support IPSec encryption on high-traffic servers. The NIC may also be a bus
    master with DMA hardware, able to move packets with minimal CPU
    intervention.

    The goal of good packet handling software is to minimize copying and I
    imagine the routing code in the Linux and BSD kernel endeavors to avoid
    such copying by making effective use of the hardware available. For
    example, the hardware may store the headers and data separately in memory,
    so the software just has to mangle the headers without moving the data,
    before submitting it to the output hardware queue.

    Also note that hardware assistance affects two different metrics:
    Throughput and latency. The average home router isn't going to be heavily
    loaded enough to worry a lot about throughput. But it might care about
    latency, particularly with gaming. So a good DMA-capable NIC would still be
    a win.
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    "Margolis" <someone@somewhere.org> wrote in news:10bh32936j8v9f8
    @corp.supernews.com:

    > ScratchMonkey on the other hand knows how to make valid points and argue
    > with civility.

    Thanks, it wasn't always so. I think my most valuable classes at MIT were
    writing and technical writing. The first class used Strunk and White's "The
    Elements of Style", a nice little book on how to clean the clutter out of
    one's verbiage. I also thank Harry Browne (the last election's Libertarian
    Presidential candidate) for his insight on how to get provocative ideas
    across to a potentially hostile audience.
  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    ScratchMonkey <ScratchMonkey.blacklist@sewingwitch.com> coughed up the
    following:

    > "Margolis" <someone@somewhere.org> wrote in news:10bh32936j8v9f8
    > @corp.supernews.com:
    >
    >> ScratchMonkey on the other hand knows how to make valid points and
    >> argue with civility.
    >
    > Thanks, it wasn't always so. I think my most valuable classes at MIT
    > were writing and technical writing. The first class used Strunk and
    > White's "The Elements of Style", a nice little book on how to clean
    > the clutter out of one's verbiage. I also thank Harry Browne (the
    > last election's Libertarian Presidential candidate) for his insight
    > on how to get provocative ideas across to a potentially hostile
    > audience.

    At my university, even though I was a CS major, the most valuable
    classes for me were (in this order):

    scuba
    horsemanship
    EE 401, or "how to make a flip flop, for software guys" :)
    A history of Espionage
    Motion picture study.

    Most everything else bored me to tears. Pretty much back then, if it
    was worth learning in CS, then I had already self-taught it to myself.

    --
    Forgetthesong,I'dratherhavethefrontallobotomy...

Routers Firewalls Video Games