Solved

PSU lacks 8 pin connector?

So I just purchased a asus 5850.

It hasnt arrived yet, but I noticed a potential problem.

My psu seems to lack a 8 pin power connector. Well, It does have one, but it is reserved for my motherboard. How will I get around this as I only have 6 pin connectors? I have 3 of them.

This is my PSU.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153039
23 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about lacks connector
  1. Depending on which card you get, some only require dual 6 pin connectors. Only the facotry overclocked cards have 6 pin / 8 pin setup.

Either way, all the cards come with molex to 6 pin connectors. The overclocked ones come with dual molex to 8 pin connectors.
  2. Yeah, I am aware that the 5850 comes with a molex to pci express. All the pictures I have found are to small to tell whether its 6 or 8 pin.

So if its dual molex it will definitely be an 8 pin?
  3. If it doesn't work out, 6-pin -> 8-pin adapters are below $5, and you can easily order one.
  4. The Asus 5850 DirectCU comes with the 8 pin adapter so you are good to go.
  5. Yes. Mine did not include the 8 pin. That was added later on at some point.

My brother has the same PSU as me and his has the 8 pin. I bought mine a few months before they added that in.
  6. OvrClkr said:
    The Asus 5850 DirectCU comes with the 8 pin adapter so you are good to go.

Really? Do you have a picture? I cant find any exact info on what exactly it comes with. Some sources looked like it said it was a 6 pin.

Im sure it is too late to cancel my order anyways. I did newegg rush processing. Ive already been charged.
  7. timaishu said:
    Really? Do you have a picture? I cant find any exact info on what exactly it comes with. Some sources looked like it said it was a 6 pin.

Im sure it is too late to cancel my order anyways. I did newegg rush processing. Ive already been charged.

I have the DirectCu and YES it comes with the 8 pin adapter. Why cancel the order?
  8. For some reason I cannot open that link here at work, but there is an issue that I just found out about the DirectCu. Some boxes come with the 6 pin adapter and some come with the 8 pin. Not sure what the deal is but this website is stating it comes with the 6 pin :

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/asus_5850_top_review/2

mines came with the 8 pin adapter so it is hit or miss, in other words go ahead and wait for that order if you have not canceled.

This is the card that I have :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121375&Tpk=Asus%205850
  9. That is one of the many reviews I read. That is why I am not totally convinced.

Another one never even mentioned the adapter and said they just plugged in two 6 pins.

That is the same card I purchased.
  10. Best answer
    Well it is odd that Asus would do such a thing so If you have not canceled the order just sit back and wait for your adapter to arrive. It wont hurt to have 2 adpters IF the card does indeed come with the 8 pin, you might need it in the future anyways.
  11. Best answer selected by timaishu.
  12. Yeah. Thats what I figured as well.

I did not cancel the order. Everything should hopefully arrive the same day so we will see.

Thanks you your help.
  13. On a side note, I just got off of call with an Asus techie and he says that the card can come with either so you are better off waiting for that adapter just in case =)

Keep us posted when you card arrives, also let us know if you hit a wall during the installation.
  14. Just wanted to let you all know that Ive had the card installed now for a few days and it is fantastic.

It did NOT come with an 8-pin adapter. It had a twin molex to 6 pin.
  15. Glad to hear it worked out for you, I kinda had the feeling that you were going to need that separate adapter that you purchased.

So how you like it? have you played with clocks or are you going stock for now?
  16. Havnt played with the clocks yet. Where do I get the smart doctor or whatever it is called utility? Does it come with the included disks? I just downloaded te newest drivers online.

The card is performing well. But now I have a CPU bottleneck to deal with. I can max out crysis quite easily on very high settings. But BC2 is bottlenecking on my CPU I think.
  17. E6600.

I have it at 3ghz right now. Beyond that it seems unstable. I know the CPU can put out more, Im sure my motherboard or my ram is the issue.
  18. Download this version of SD :

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Video-Tweak/ASUS-SmartDoctor.shtml

What CPU do you have?
  19. In Crysis your CPU will do just fine, in BC2 it wouldnt hurt to raise the clocks on that 6600, I ran the game using only 2 cores @ 3Ghz and there was a nice CPU bottleneck as well, then I ran the game again with 4 cores @ 3.6Ghz and the bottleneck was gone. Of course there will always be some sort of bottleck, you just have to try and reduce it as much as possible.
  20. That is what I figured. I dont plan to replace my CPU for awhile. So I plan to squeeze as much out of it as I can.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Asus Motherboards Graphics Product