zer0net

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
I need a computer, that is simply fast, its not for games. However it will be used to view CAD, MS office, web browsing, lots multi-tasking (dual or quad monitors) and bunch of applications opened at the same time and all of that must be fast and reliable.

I am open to either building it, or buying a pre-built. Budget is about $2000 not including monitors.

Thank you

You may want to follow the guildelines. They're in a link in my signature.

CPU: i7-930 $290
Mobo/PSU: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R and Cosair 750W Modular 80+ Silver $300 after rebate
RAM: G.Skill Trident 3x2 GB 2000 mhz CAS Latency 9 $185
GPU: The biggest nVidia Quaddro card you can afford, should be around $1,000. This is assuming your CAD programs use a lot of graphics power. If they don't downgrade this significantly and stick in a SSD or two.
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB $75
Case: HAF 922 $90
Optical: Cheap SATA DVD burner $20
HSF: Sychte SCMG-2100 $35

Total: $1,995

zer0net

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
Thanx for replying MadAdmiral,

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 2 weeks to month
BUDGET RANGE: 2K

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: viewing CAD(not designing), MS office, web browsing, multi-tasking with dual or quad monitors, having bunch of apps open at the same time

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speaker

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg.ca, ncix.com, anyother that you can recommend.

PARTS PREFERENCES: doesn't matter

OVERCLOCKING: most likely no

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080, 1920x1200

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I want to use SSD, but I've read that they slow down over time and the newer ones use TRIM command to prevent that. What exactly would i need to get this working?

Hmm this was suggested to a dude over the email with similiar needs and you would be using the ATI Surroundview feature to run up to 4 displays via HD 4250 integrated + Radeon class GPU (HD 5550 in this case) Egg USA though hehe
Untitled-977.jpg

http://www.jagatreview.com/2010/05/corsair-launches-60gb-120gb-and-240gb-force-series-solid-state-drives/
The F60, F120, and F240 Force Series SSDs all support the maximum throughput specification of 285MB/s read and 275MB/s write. With no drop-off in performance when moving down to 60GB, the F60 is an ideal boot drive for a performance system, especially when combined with traditional spinning media for mass storage.
With current pricing not many would look to SSDs as storage drives (rather boot/OS + very selective apps)

It's a toss up. They're about equal overall, but vary from program to program. If a program makes good use of multiple cores, the X6 wins. If it makes better use of hyperthreading, the i7 wins. Try to find some benchmarks for the exact programs you use to see for sure.