HD sentinel est. life remaining says X days left !!! wot to do ?

kikikuku

Honorable
Apr 3, 2012
Hi guys,

The Hard Disk Sentinel 4.0 showing that est. life remaining says 436 days left on HDD Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 160GB (in production since 2003-04). I dont know how long I've had this HDD (2nd owner), best guess is 4+ yrs, but it seems to be extremely reliable as of now.

According to HD sential:
Power on time: 1388 days
Est remaining lifetime: more than 436 days
Total start/stop count: 1870
The hard disk status is PERFECT. Problematic or weak sectors were not found and there are no spin up or data transfer errors.
No actions needed.
Performance BAR shows 100%
Health BAR show 100%

Basically, with all the talks about HDD reputation, it just seems too good to believe that my HDD remains this long, I've never had a HDD failure before, maybe because I'm not hardcore enough, but like everyone thinks, I want to be proactive and not planning to loose any data.

I'm just wondering when is the best time to get another HDD? What would you do in this case? Should I start worrying about backing up more often? if yes, how frequent ? Are there any warning signs regarding disk failure that HD sentinel can pickup?

My setup:
Win7 64
120G SSD sandisk extreme: frequent applications
160GB HDD Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ST31600023AS: storage and application
16GB Ram 1333

ELMO_2006

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012

Hi...

I would take this information with a grain of salt. Hard Disk Sentinel monitors HDD status including health, temperature and all S.M.A.R.T. values for all hard disks.

HD Sentinel reads these values and goes the extra step in calculating/predicting failures. In your case, I wouldn't worry about it however it would be in your best interest to follow some sort of backup schedule thus if that day comes at least you will be prepared.

As for a backup schedule, I use multiple drives for backups, one is constantly active and the secondary drive performs a backup every other week.

BTW, I have an old Hitachi drive that's been running almost none stop for the past 3.5 years and its reporting the estimated remaining lifetime is 535 days. To make things interesting, the sata connection on the HDD itself is broken and required gluing.

Edited: You may want to perform an image of your system drive to avoid having to re-install from scratch. I use Paragon.

Hope this helps.