Installer_no_upload_silent.exe

KaiohHNK

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
Hello,
I noticed this "installer_no_upload_silent.exe" running on my PC today. It appears to be a part of Akamai. Not sure how this got on my PC.

There's a quick command prompt box that appears and disappears every half an hour or so. It's so fast I can't tell if it says anything. I'm thinking it has something to do with this .exe

Anyone got any more information on this?

Yes, that is a servce used to update your computer; however, any (.exe) module can be taken over by a Virus. APPS, like Hostsmanager, do the same thing. I would not be concerned, unless your system, starts to fail. l

KaiohHNK

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
Thanks! I'll keep an eye on this for sure. I've ran Malwarebytes, AVG, and Microsoft Security Essentials just to make sure. So far, nothing malicious has been found.

rmcdon

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
I also found about this just today. Comodo notified me of it running. It ran on it's own and I was doing nothing except watching videos on youtube. Some of the files on the folder had create/modtime just today. i have no idea what main application needed this, but the folder create time was may 22. just sharing. it seems to be something the just popped out now.

Akamai provides a service to companies that have content on the Internet (Akamai's customers), to more efficiently deliver this content to users browsing the Web and downloading content. Akamai does this by transparently mirroring content—sometimes all site content including HTML, CSS, and software downloads, and sometimes just media objects such as audio, graphics, animation, and video—from customer servers.

rmcdon

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
the thing with akamai is not what it does (as most of us can see the information on the first google result) but how or when it was installed. and most of us has only became aware of it when its auto install/update program got blocked by our respective firewall/security software. in my case, since i have not installed anything in the past whole month, i just couldn't help but wonder what software needed this application. no wide information is available about it in the search results, except for postings of the same question "what is it and why is it running now?", all within the same day or 1 day apart. not only that, since i decided to block it temporarily (without checking "dont ask me again" so that i know when it will popup again), i found out it would popup many times a day, and have been doing so for 5 days now.

for those of you needing more information, which i'm sure you most likely already have it on your google search results (wasn't in mine until today), i'd like to refer you to this site, http://www.nojokeit.com/2011/11/windows-firewall-blocked.html

It also is used for providing multimedia content, not just service updates.

(As was previously mentioned)

TheTrueTheo

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
About 10 minutes ago I got a warning from the windows maintenance center telling me that I should check two files that were about to be sent to Microsoft by Windows Defender. One file was called "ControlPanel_installer.exe" situated in my "AppData/Local/Akamai" folder, the other one was called "installer_no_upload_silent.exe" which was in my "Program Files (x86)/Common Files/Akamai" folder. I can't remember ever installing Akamai, but some changing dates of the files in the program folder are from early 2011, some are from october 2011, one is from 2009 when I didn't even own this PC and many are from today and yesterday, including the two files I mentioned above. This is the first time ever ,in the two years I've had this PC, that Windows Defender popped up. AND the maintenance center warning wasn't complete, it just said "Check files that Windows Defender is send" ...ing to Microsoft (Important). What is Akamai and what is it doing on my PC? Is it a programm? In that case, why isn't it being displayed in the windows uninstaller?

To add to my previous posts, It's also used for installing legit Adobe s/w trials. Confirmed via http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/402/kb402065.html Essentially anything you download, could have this service used.

Of course, any malware can assume any name. If you submit the file to "Virustotal" even they will say it could be a virus, but not certain !

If you are still concerned, Uninstall using Revo. Then pay attention to your Internet activity, and when it reappears, as it surely will.

BlueSkyfish

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
Hello. I discovered "installer_no_upload_silent.exe" when I used a program to track what aplications has focus. I had a problem with getting randomly tabbed out from games at the most inoppertune moments, several times a day at seemingly random. I ran "focusmonitor" by Nicholas Chapman (after having decided that the one from "happydroid" was not trustworthy, as windows claimed it contained a trojan upon downloading) The culprit was of course Akamai who is often cited as the problem app in various game forums for stealing focus frequently without a trace. (It is not the only program however) I have now uninstalled Akamai with their own uninstaller. I will see how long that lasts, hopefully it fixes my focus stealing problems. I think akamai was installed for me when I downloaded an autodesk fusion trial.