Solved

Need The Green Light and the 2 Thumbs Up Of Approval

CPU
Intel Core i7 930

GPU
Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5770

OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (OEM)

MOBO
Asus P6X58D-E Socket 1366 Intel X58

PSU
Corsair TX Series CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX

CASE
Cooler Master HAF 932

G.SKILL NQ Series DDR3 1600MHz (PC3-12800) 6GB (3x2GB) Triple Channel Kit

ODD/HDD
Using old parts from no less than a year ago.

NOTE: I'll be buying another 5770 or a more powerful card down the line.
25 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about need green light thumbs approval
  1. What's the purpose of the build? Budget?

    At first glance, it looks like a poorly-balanced gaming build. You'd be better off getting either an i5-750 or a Phenom II X4 955 and buying a better graphics card.

    If you were to fill out the form linked in my signature, that would help.
  2. Yeah, pretty much. I don't have the funds like my friend does. By the way, this is not BreakDOWN, it's his buddy using his account.

    EDIT: I prefer going with Intel overall and the i7 930 as well. As I have metioned, I'm going to be buying a more powerful card down the line, or just get the same on and crossfire it.
  3. For a last double check....list the parts you're going to carry over so we can look them over.

    @ coldsleep; Sig is missing.
  4. Link to the previous topic: $1200 Canadian Gaming Build
  5. Thanks WR2. I'll give you "best answer" in the other link for helping me out and I'll give "best answer" to coldsleep for this one. That seems to matter to people alot, lol.
  6. I'm already over the $1200 mark. Do you have any other suggestions, coldsleep?

    EDIT: I'll update the RAM and GPU in the next few months when I get my tax refund. But right now, $1200 is all I have and I'm already over it.
  7. I actually liked gkay09 advice in the previous thread. i7 860 or i5 750.
    You get to go with 4GB or RAM and save about $50 on a good P55 motherboard.
    If you're OK with some mild overclocking you don't loose anything going with i5-750 and that saves another $100 or so.
  8. What resolution will you be gaming at? It looks like your budget is about $1200. You can get a much better gaming build that will CrossFire later for that money. The only reason to go with an i7-930 at that budget is if you're also doing something like video editing or 3D rendering.

    This build is a day or two old, I'll have to go back & verify the links:

    CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 955 - $160
    HSF - Hyper 212+ - $30 at amazon/tigerdirect/etc. $50 at newegg, or pick from FrostyTech's Top 5
    Mobo - ASUS M4A89GTD Pro/USB3 - $140, SATA 6 Gb/s & USB 3.0
    RAM - G.Skill ECO Series 4 GB kit CAS 7 1600 MHz - $105
    GPU - XFX 5870 $390 + free Aliens vs. Predator game
    HDD - reuse from old build or buy Spinpoint F3 or Seagate 7200.12 for $75
    PSU - XFX 750W 80+ Silver, Active PFC - $120 ($100 after $20 MIR)
    Case - HAF 932 - $140 + free shipping
    OS - Win 7 Home Premium OEM 64-bit - $100

    Total: $1185 before shipping/tax

    I think the Corsair PSU you linked was cheaper, which would knock a few more $ off.

    Or you could go with an i5-750 and an Asus P7P55D-E Pro for about $75 more.


    EDIT: Weird, my sig shows up in my profile, but not on the posts, I guess.
  9. WR2 said:
    I actually liked gkay09 advice in the previous thread. i7 860 or i5 750.
    You get to go with 4GB or RAM and save about $50 on a good P55 motherboard.
    If you're OK with some mild overclocking you don't loose anything going with i5-750 and that saves another $100 or so.



    I'm not a huge fan of overclocking. I would also prefer the i7 930. Sorry for any troubles.
  10. coldsleep said:
    What resolution will you be gaming at? It looks like your budget is about $1200. You can get a much better gaming build that will CrossFire later for that money. The only reason to go with an i7-930 at that budget is if you're also doing something like video editing or 3D rendering.

    This build is a day or two old, I'll have to go back & verify the links:

    CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 955 - $160
    HSF - Hyper 212+ - $30 at amazon/tigerdirect/etc. $50 at newegg, or pick from FrostyTech's Top 5
    Mobo - ASUS M4A89GTD Pro/USB3 - $140, SATA 6 Gb/s & USB 3.0
    RAM - G.Skill ECO Series 4 GB kit CAS 7 1600 MHz - $105
    GPU - XFX 5870 $390 + free Aliens vs. Predator game
    HDD - reuse from old build or buy Spinpoint F3 or Seagate 7200.12 for $75
    PSU - XFX 750W 80+ Silver, Active PFC - $120 ($100 after $20 MIR)
    Case - HAF 932 - $140 + free shipping
    OS - Win 7 Home Premium OEM 64-bit - $100

    Total: $1185 before shipping/tax

    I think the Corsair PSU you linked was cheaper, which would knock a few more $ off.

    Or you could go with an i5-750 and an Asus P7P55D-E Pro for about $75 more.


    EDIT: Weird, my sig shows up in my profile, but not on the posts, I guess.


    I prefer Intel over AMD, and like my buddy, I prefer to go to a retail store than order online, which limits my selection at http://www.canadacomputers.com/. The parts have to be in my location as well.

    Sorry for any troubles guys
  11. coldsleep, since you gave me the thumbs down for refusing to use an old HDD, I'll be picking up the Western Digital Caviar Black (WD5001AALS) 500GB SATAII 7200RPM 32MB Cache (OEM) for $59.99
  12. Seriously, unless you need the hyperthreading the i7-930 offers, you'll get better gaming performance out of an i5-750 and a better graphics card than you originally selected.
  13. coldsleep said:
    Seriously, unless you need the hyperthreading the i7-930 offers, you'll get better gaming performance out of an i5-750 and a better graphics card than you originally selected.


    Aside from gaming, I'll be using it for CAD at school. I heard many good things about the i7 930. I know the GPU sucks right now, but in 1 month or so, I will be buying the best one when I get my tax refund.

    EDIT: I'm going into my 2nd semester and I'm sick and tired of staying late at school just to do some homework. I figured, I could build my own pc that could handle gaming and school work and do what I need to do at the comforts of my own home
  14. BreakDOWN said:
    coldsleep, since you gave me the thumbs down for refusing to use an old HDD, I'll be picking up the Western Digital Caviar Black (WD5001AALS) 500GB SATAII 7200RPM 32MB Cache (OEM) for $59.99


    I totally didn't do that, did I? If you're trying to save money, go ahead and reuse an old drive. If you have the spare cash, a new drive is nice, but not necessary.
  15. BreakDOWN said:
    Aside from gaming, I'll be using it for CAD at school. I heard many good things about the i7 930. I know the GPU sucks right now, but in 1 month or so, I will be buying the best one when I get my tax refund.

    EDIT: I'm going into my 2nd semester and I'm sick and tired of staying late at school just to do some homework. I figured, I could build my own pc that could handle gaming and school work and do what I need to do at the comforts of my own home


    Ok, now it all makes sense. This is why it's helpful to state the purpose of the build in your initial post. :)

    For CAD, yeah, go for an i7-930. It sounds like you got advice in another thread to consider an i7-860, which is another option that would save a little bit of money ($50 or so less on the mobo & $50 on the RAM).
  16. coldsleep said:
    I totally didn't do that, did I? If you're trying to save money, go ahead and reuse an old drive. If you have the spare cash, a new drive is nice, but not necessary.


    Sorry, I didn't mean it like that. I assumed you didn't want me to use my old one for performance issues.
  17. coldsleep said:
    Ok, now it all makes sense. This is why it's helpful to state the purpose of the build in your initial post. :)

    For CAD, yeah, go for an i7-930. It sounds like you got advice in another thread to consider an i7-860, which is another option that would save a little bit of money ($50 or so less on the mobo & $50 on the RAM).


    Sorry, I didn't know there like posting rules or ways to post things to make it easier for everyone. My buddy's not here, I'm just using his account so I had no idea
  18. CPU
    Intel Core i7 930

    GPU
    Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5770
    -Will be upgraded to a more powerful card in 1.5 months for sure

    OS
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (OEM)

    MOBO
    Asus P6X58D-E Socket 1366 Intel X58

    PSU
    Corsair TX Series CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX

    CASE
    Cooler Master HAF 932

    G.SKILL NQ Series DDR3 1600MHz (PC3-12800) 6GB (3x2GB) Triple Channel Kit
    -Will be upgraded in 1.5 months as needed

    So, do I have the green light from the both of you?
  19. They're all premium quality parts, best available @ canadacomputers in your budget range and should work well together.
  20. You might end up having enough video card for your needs for the short term - say 5 months of so. That HD 5770 really is pretty good.
    By then the next gen cards will start showing up for holiday sales.
  21. Best answer
    Looks good to me. Parts are definitely good quality.
  22. WR2 said:
    You might end up having enough video card for your needs for the short term - say 5 months of so. That HD 5770 really is pretty good.
    By then the next gen cards will start showing up for holiday sales.



    Yeah, the GPU is definitely short term and I was planning on getting the 5870 with my tax refund.

    As for the RAM, that could also be easily placed when I get my tax refund.

    I was thinking of the bigger picture (when all my parts are upgraded and put together), which is why I picked out the MOBO, CPU and the PSU.

    I cheaped out on everything else because I can easily upgrade those.
  23. Anyways, thanks for the help you 2. You both get "best answers" on 2 seperate threads Thnanks again.
  24. Best answer selected by BreakDOWN.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems