USING MULTIPLE NVIDIA 9800GT CARDS

G

HelLO,
I am an Ozzie living in beautiful downtown Blitar (Java Indonesia) Unfortunately, computer technicians are extremely thin on the ground here. I am operating 6 monitors using 3 x Nvidia 9800gt 1GB vga cards on an Asus P7p55d Motherboard and 2.66ghz (Core i5) CPU and 4GB DDR3 Ram. I use this almost exclusively for MS flight Simulator 2004 and FSX. My problem is that (for the first time ever) 2004 is jerky and locks up a lot. I am using big scenery packages but... My 9800 cards are not bridged and would bridging them help me??? If possible a detailed answer to himmelhorse@gmail.com would be wonderful. Thanks

You'll need to bridge the cards in order for SLI to work. However, what board do you have specifically? If you have the regular ASUS P7P55D without any -E or 'Deluxe' or that kind of suffix, then that only comes with two 16x PCI-e slots, and the second one operates at 4x, bottlenecking your setup.

G

Hi and thanks for reply. I have the P7P55D PRO (3 x PCIe slots.

How do I get into SLI mode??
Thanks again

Tony

G

I didn't either until I did it. I didn't realise either, that you normally put in sli mode. Perhaps this is automatic ... I am going to check Nvidia settings now
Tony

Well OK, when you use three 9800 GTs, the PCI-e lane will switch their bandwidths to 8x/8x/4x, and the last 4x slot will bottleneck your 9800 GT, also last time I checked the 9800 GT wasn't three way SLI ready, only a few ASUS versions were. You will need to put put on an SLI bridge between the two graphic cards.

G

OK and thanks matey.

I checked Nvidia Control Panel settings and the little sucker was disabled. I enabled it and ran FS2004 with no really noticeable effect. I am hoping the bridge will work.

Nvidia g800GT is definately NOT three way SLI enabled. As I said earlier this place is not over endowed with computer technicians. When I bought these cards I asked the technician what was the best card to buy to run 6 monitors for MS Flight Simulator. Two things to note here.... I had to show him on my computer what MS flight sim was (I should possibly have taken the hint then and there) and secondly after coming up with Nvidia I guess I was lucky he didn't recommend the ace of clubs as the best card LOL

Anyway I will pursue (with some trepidation) the bridging path but in the meantime I cannot thank you enough for your advice.

Tony