Sign in with
Your question

USING MULTIPLE NVIDIA 9800GT CARDS

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2010 7:24:25 AM

HelLO,
I am an Ozzie living in beautiful downtown Blitar (Java Indonesia) Unfortunately, computer technicians are extremely thin on the ground here. I am operating 6 monitors using 3 x Nvidia 9800gt 1GB vga cards on an Asus P7p55d Motherboard and 2.66ghz (Core i5) CPU and 4GB DDR3 Ram. I use this almost exclusively for MS flight Simulator 2004 and FSX. My problem is that (for the first time ever) 2004 is jerky and locks up a lot. I am using big scenery packages but... My 9800 cards are not bridged and would bridging them help me??? If possible a detailed answer to himmelhorse@gmail.com would be wonderful. Thanks
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2010 9:07:25 AM

So... You have 3x9800GT's plugged it to run multiple monitors, BUT the cards are not in SLI mode? I didn't realise this was even possible...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
June 7, 2010 9:08:25 AM

You'll need to bridge the cards in order for SLI to work. However, what board do you have specifically? If you have the regular ASUS P7P55D without any -E or 'Deluxe' or that kind of suffix, then that only comes with two 16x PCI-e slots, and the second one operates at 4x, bottlenecking your setup.
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2010 9:47:00 AM

Lmeow said:
You'll need to bridge the cards in order for SLI to work. However, what board do you have specifically? If you have the regular ASUS P7P55D without any -E or 'Deluxe' or that kind of suffix, then that only comes with two 16x PCI-e slots, and the second one operates at 4x, bottlenecking your setup.

Hi and thanks for reply. I have the P7P55D PRO (3 x PCIe slots.

How do I get into SLI mode??
Thanks again

Tony
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2010 9:51:29 AM

Herr_Koos said:
So... You have 3x9800GT's plugged it to run multiple monitors, BUT the cards are not in SLI mode? I didn't realise this was even possible...

I didn't either until I did it. I didn't realise either, that you normally put in sli mode. Perhaps this is automatic ... I am going to check Nvidia settings now
Tony
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
June 7, 2010 10:04:10 AM

Well OK, when you use three 9800 GTs, the PCI-e lane will switch their bandwidths to 8x/8x/4x, and the last 4x slot will bottleneck your 9800 GT, also last time I checked the 9800 GT wasn't three way SLI ready, only a few ASUS versions were. You will need to put put on an SLI bridge between the two graphic cards.
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2010 11:30:51 AM

OK and thanks matey.

I checked Nvidia Control Panel settings and the little sucker was disabled. I enabled it and ran FS2004 with no really noticeable effect. I am hoping the bridge will work.

Nvidia g800GT is definately NOT three way SLI enabled. As I said earlier this place is not over endowed with computer technicians. When I bought these cards I asked the technician what was the best card to buy to run 6 monitors for MS Flight Simulator. Two things to note here.... I had to show him on my computer what MS flight sim was (I should possibly have taken the hint then and there) and secondly after coming up with Nvidia I guess I was lucky he didn't recommend the ace of clubs as the best card LOL

Anyway I will pursue (with some trepidation) the bridging path but in the meantime I cannot thank you enough for your advice.

Tony
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2010 1:27:08 PM

Pity you didn't go the ATI route. With an Eyefinity-6 5870 you can run 6 monitors off the same card...
m
l
!