2 hard drives 1 partition

jakepf1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Hi there :hello: is there a way to turn two hard drives to one partition. I have windows 7 on one and the other hard drive is empty. Do i have to format the hard rive with windows 7 ?

ELMO_2006

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012

Hi...

In essence you cannot create a partition across multiple HDD's but you can span a *volume* across multiple drives however if one drive fails then that volume will be destroyed and you can kiss your data goodbye.

It is recommended to have a backup as it would be silly not to.

Here is a link to look at and possibly follow:

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57378002-285/how-to-turn-old-hard-drives-into-one-large-drive-in-windows/

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi Jake,

Technically yes, but not sure it is worth all the effort. When you do that, the storage space is called a Volume rather than a Partition.

You can convert a Static (Basic) drive with 1 Partition, the way you have, to a Dynamic drive, where a formatted Volume can span more than one drive, where you can add up to 32 drives in a Spanned single Volume.

You could also start all over, and set up a Striped RAID 0 array. where data is Striped across 2 or more physical drives at the same time. The size here is fixed once you set it up.

If you are needing more storage space, you can just Partition and format the additional hard drive without Windows, just a storage drive, with another Drive letter, or you could "mount" the new drive to an empty folder in "My Documents" and easily have lots of additioinal storage. The Mounted drive would be designated by the folder's name, rather than a Drive letter specification.

jakepf1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Hi, Jake

I'd like to suggest you using a third party partition management tool to help you solve your current situation.

Once, I was looking for a simple, yet effective, and preferably free solution to recover my data. And lastly I find MiniAide Magic Partition. It’s really a very fast and easy way to recover my lost data. By the way, I think, being a common people, I benefit a lot from its freeware. For you, its functions of Create Partition , Formate Partition, Partition Recovery and Resize Partition all are useful. So I want to share it with you here. More official solutions you can find in http://www.magic-partition.com/?20

Hope it can help you. Best wishes!
Alright cheers, ill check it out ;)