Hi all !

I'm thinking of installing Linux in my box , to replace Win XP, for good. I
play Unreal GOTY on line, no server here.

PIII 800 EB
Asus TI 4200
512meg sdram
7200 rpm hardrive
highspeed connection
Sound Blaster 5.1 Live
MoBo futurepower

The system runs well, but I just wan't to get rid of Bill Gates. Can it be
done? Do I need a patch?

Goty is the only game on my box, has been for years, Times are changing, I
need to how to, if possible.

Thanks,
Noxx-Zema

Meltdown

Athos enlightened us with:
> I'm thinking of installing Linux in my box , to replace Win XP, for good.

Wise choice.

> The system runs well, but I just wan't to get rid of Bill Gates. Can
> it be done? Do I need a patch?

It can be done for sure!

> Goty is the only game on my box, has been for years, Times are
> changing, I need to how to, if possible.

Yep, just get Loki's installer, and install the game. Runs better on
Linux than on Windows anyway ;-)

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

"> Yep, just get Loki's installer, and install the game. Runs better on
> Linux than on Windows anyway ;-)

Thanks for the info. But where can I find Loki's installer, only found the
installer for the 436 patch on Loki's site.

Can you point me in the right direction ?

Thanks again,
Noxx-Zema

On Thu, 27 May 2004 01:40:03 -0400, Athos wrote:

> The system runs well, but I just wan't to get rid of Bill Gates. Can it
> be done? Do I need a patch?
>
> Goty is the only game on my box, has been for years, Times are changing,
> I need to how to, if possible.
>
> Thanks,
> Noxx-Zema

Hello!
Yes ofcourse I get rid of mr. Gate$ stuff (windows) years ago :) You must
only download a linux UT-GOTY installer from f.e. here:

http://download.beyondunreal.com/fileworks.php/official/ut/ut-install-436-goty.run

And you ask about howto or tutorial here's one:

http://www.princessleia.com/UT.html

I have hope this will help you :) Installing UT series on linux is really
easy.

Regards LinuxLover

> "> Yep, just get Loki's installer, and install the game. Runs better on
>> Linux than on Windows anyway ;-)
>
> Thanks for the info. But where can I find Loki's installer, only found the
> installer for the 436 patch on Loki's site.
>
> Can you point me in the right direction ?

This file
http://download.beyondunreal.com/fileworks.php/official/ut/ut-install-436.run
which is probably the same one is installer and 436 patch rolled into one.
It will install from the cd and update to 436 at the same time.
One other thing, you need to mount the cdrom to /mnt/cdrom . That's very
important, otherwise it refuses to run and, annoyingly, refuses to even
show you the readme telling you how to specify a different mount point.
Make a temporary symlink if you have to. Then run the file (chmod +x first)

MikeyD wrote:
>> "> Yep, just get Loki's installer, and install the game. Runs better
>> on
>>> Linux than on Windows anyway ;-)
>>
>> Thanks for the info. But where can I find Loki's installer, only
>> found the installer for the 436 patch on Loki's site.
>>
>> Can you point me in the right direction ?
>
> This file

http://download.beyondunreal.com/fileworks.php/official/ut/ut-install-436.run
> which is probably the same one is installer and 436 patch rolled into
> one. It will install from the cd and update to 436 at the same time.
> One other thing, you need to mount the cdrom to /mnt/cdrom . That's
> very important, otherwise it refuses to run and, annoyingly, refuses
> to even show you the readme telling you how to specify a different
> mount point. Make a temporary symlink if you have to. Then run the
> file (chmod +x first)

ROTFL!
Thats what I always like about the Linux Community, always telling that
Linux is so much easier to handle than Windoze. Just read these Lines about
how to install UTgoty...

no more words ;-)

On Fri, 28 May 2004 00:42:08 +0200, Klaus Bregel wrote:

> ROTFL!
> Thats what I always like about the Linux Community, always telling that
> Linux is so much easier to handle than Windoze. Just read these Lines about
> how to install UTgoty...

Ok, how about this:
Download ut-install-436.run (URL supplied). Make sure your CD is in the
drive (yep, really). As root, run ut-install-436.run.

Want that simpler? It's possible y'know?

> no more words ;-)

Don yer flameproofs.

--
"A riot is unt ugly thing, unt it's about time we had one!"
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1

On Fri, 28 May 2004 00:42:08 +0200, Klaus Bregel wrote:

> MikeyD wrote:
>>> "> Yep, just get Loki's installer, and install the game. Runs better on
>>>
>>> Thanks for the info. But where can I find Loki's installer, only found
>>> the installer for the 436 patch on Loki's site.
>>>
>>> Can you point me in the right direction ?
>>
>> This file
>>
> http://download.beyondunreal.com/fileworks.php/official/ut/ut-install-436.run
>> which is probably the same one is installer and 436 patch rolled into
>> one. It will install from the cd and update to 436 at the same time. One
>> other thing, you need to mount the cdrom to /mnt/cdrom . That's very
>> important, otherwise it refuses to run and, annoyingly, refuses to even
>> show you the readme telling you how to specify a different mount point.
>> Make a temporary symlink if you have to. Then run the file (chmod +x
>> first)
>
> ROTFL!
> Thats what I always like about the Linux Community, always telling that
> Linux is so much easier to handle than Windoze. Just read these Lines
> about how to install UTgoty...
>
> no more words ;-)

Linux isn't easier or harder, it's just different. It has to be because it
was built to be more secure than the average "any user can install to what
is effectively the root account" windows box. All it takes to run linux is
the ability to read.

--
{AGUT}DeadMan

Thanks to all, much appreciated. I'll keep you posted on the progress.

Noxx-Zema

Meltdown

Klaus Bregel enlightened us with:
> Thats what I always like about the Linux Community, always telling
> that Linux is so much easier to handle than Windoze. Just read these
> Lines about how to install UTgoty...

Sometimes it's easier, sometimes it's harder. Check out the instructions
for windows to set your cdkey for a dedicated server:

For Windows servers, you can install it by hand by making a new String
registry entry called CDKey in:

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Unreal Technology\Installed Apps\UT2004"

Warning: do not do this on a Windows computer which already has a retail
UT2004 installation - it will overwrite your retail CD key with the
server-only one. If this occurs, you will need to reinstall your copy of
UT2004 from your original CDs.

Whereas in Linux, you just copy & paste the key in a file called 'cdkey'
and you're done.

Oh, and you can have multiple UT2004 instances on the same computer all
with the same key, because it's inside a file in the game directory and
not some global registry key. Seems like Linux is easier AND more
useful!

LinuxLover wrote:

> On Thu, 27 May 2004 01:40:03 -0400, Athos wrote:
>

>>The system runs well, but I just wan't to get rid of Bill Gates. Can it
>>be done? Do I need a patch?
>>
>>Goty is the only game on my box, has been for years, Times are changing,
>> I need to how to, if possible.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Noxx-Zema
>

> Hello!
> Yes ofcourse I get rid of mr. Gate$ stuff (windows) years ago :) You must
> only download a linux UT-GOTY installer from f.e. here:
>
> http://download.beyondunreal.com/fileworks.php/official/ut/ut-install-436-goty.run
>
> And you ask about howto or tutorial here's one:
>
> http://www.princessleia.com/UT.html

Aaahh now I understand where this bash.org quote came from:
http://www.bash.org/?14426

Truff

Klaus Bregel wrote:

> MikeyD wrote:
>>> "> Yep, just get Loki's installer, and install the game. Runs better
>>> on
>>>
>>> Thanks for the info. But where can I find Loki's installer, only
>>> found the installer for the 436 patch on Loki's site.
>>>
>>> Can you point me in the right direction ?
>>
>> This file

http://download.beyondunreal.com/fileworks.php/official/ut/ut-install-436.run
>> which is probably the same one is installer and 436 patch rolled into
>> one. It will install from the cd and update to 436 at the same time.
>> One other thing, you need to mount the cdrom to /mnt/cdrom . That's
>> very important, otherwise it refuses to run and, annoyingly, refuses
>> to even show you the readme telling you how to specify a different
>> mount point. Make a temporary symlink if you have to. Then run the
>> file (chmod +x first)
>
> ROTFL!
> Thats what I always like about the Linux Community, always telling that
> Linux is so much easier to handle than Windoze. Just read these Lines
> about how to install UTgoty...

That's the standard, I was just checking because it can cause problems. At
least it means you don't have to reinstall when you get a second hard
drive. And chmod +x ing prevents a lot of viruses, so it's easier in the
long run. I find this with a lot of linux things; it's harder to set up,
but once you set it up it will work forever.

THUMPer

On Fri, 28 May 2004 01:14:51 -0400, {AGUT}DeadMan
<oldman1961@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>> This file
>>>
>> http://download.beyondunreal.com/fileworks.php/official/ut/ut-install-436.run
>>> which is probably the same one is installer and 436 patch rolled into
>>> one. It will install from the cd and update to 436 at the same time. One
>>> other thing, you need to mount the cdrom to /mnt/cdrom . That's very
>>> important, otherwise it refuses to run and, annoyingly, refuses to even
>>> show you the readme telling you how to specify a different mount point.
>>> Make a temporary symlink if you have to. Then run the file (chmod +x
>>> first)
>>
>> ROTFL!
>> Thats what I always like about the Linux Community, always telling that
>> Linux is so much easier to handle than Windoze. Just read these Lines
>> about how to install UTgoty...
>>
>> no more words ;-)
>
>Linux isn't easier or harder, it's just different. It has to be because it
>was built to be more secure than the average "any user can install to what
>is effectively the root account" windows box. All it takes to run linux is
>the ability to read.

And to make sure that you don't have a funky-ass Windows XP computer
(cough - Sony VAIO series) where the CPU fan stay on full blast when
Linux is running (not touching their shitty VAIO integrated audio card
that Linux apparently doesn't like either).

> Whereas in Linux, you just copy & paste the key in a file called
> 'cdkey' and you're done.
>
> Oh, and you can have multiple UT2004 instances on the same computer
> all with the same key, because it's inside a file in the game
> directory and not some global registry key. Seems like Linux is
> easier AND more useful!
>
> MeltDown

Morning
For what should that be good for? Playing 2k4 on a single machine with 2
users in Realtime (worst case: 1 on a tft and one on a crt with nvidia
drivers)? Or having a Server and Client setup on 1 machine? - btw. registry
keys are global or related to your logged in identity. Sorry i dont wanna
fool you up. But the topic showed me why i use xp at home.
It's the kind u r always talking to people, not knowing their OS, but of
corse u know that 80 percent use windoze. U always wanna proselytize (sorry
BABYLON) to use linux. u wont get a goal by that. u can get people change to
linunx in other ways... - i admit your hilfsbereitschaft (Babylon doesn't
help - u come from holland and might understand) and that might
help. ---tooo much Computer Stuff for now...

funny that u did r hitchhiking so fast. I needed nearly 3 days to get from
Hannover to Barcelona. It seemed to be as if u come to more catholic (or
southern regions) u cant get away. worst case was: standing some hours some
kilometers north of Sevilla and not getting there.

gutz nächtle...
scnr

Meltdown

Klaus Bregel enlightened us with:
> For what should that be good for? Playing 2k4 on a single machine with 2
> users in Realtime (worst case: 1 on a tft and one on a crt with nvidia
> drivers)? Or having a Server and Client setup on 1 machine?

I was thinking about that last one. And of course you can run multiple
clients, ie. a CTF one, one with all sorts of weird mods, an ONS one,
etc. all on the same machine, all with their own key.

> btw. registry keys are global or related to your logged in identity.

I know, but still they aren't local to the program directory, which is
the case in Linux, and which gives a great advantage.

> It's the kind u r always talking to people, not knowing their OS, but
> of corse u know that 80 percent use windoze.

But I don't want to guess - people should just tell what they are using.

> U always wanna proselytize to use linux.

No, I want people to know there are other OSses than just windows, and
that those OSses can have tremendous advantages.

> u can get people change to linunx in other ways...

I've helped so many people use Linux I've lost count...

> funny that u did r hitchhiking so fast. I needed nearly 3 days to get
> from Hannover to Barcelona.

Wow..

> It seemed to be as if u come to more catholic (or southern regions) u
> cant get away. worst case was: standing some hours some kilometers
> north of Sevilla and not getting there.

Make sure you're hichhiking from gas station to gas station. That way,
people can talk to you, see you're an ok person, and you can check out
the people you might be riding with too. It works a lot better than
standing on the side of the road!

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

Meltdown

Klaus Bregel enlightened us with:
> but that's weired. i meant one machine to do the job, winxp wont do it
> either linunx, cause u got not enough ghz to solve all the game in
> real-time.

Sure you can. If you have a few GHz and a good network connection, you
can host multiple servers on the same box.

> ok, we had no contest, but i tried to get to sevilla as fast as
> possible, and after the french border hithchiiking (uuuups)
> hitchhiking was tremendous hard

> best countries to hike were germany holland and france.

The Netherlands aren't that good, especially if you're Dutch yourself
like me. Try hichhiking in Slovena or Croatia, now that's easy!

> northern italy worx also, but as u get southern its gettin worse -
> thats what i meant about catholics...

We went to Spain on last year's contest, and a Spanish bloke even went
home to get some money so he could put us on a gas station on the
highway! Really nice chap :)

> i got my own tricks and i wont tell them

I try to help you out a bit, and you give me this? Nice. Oh well, I'm
hichhiking fast enough as it is, and apparently I go a lot faster than
you - and I wasn't fishing for hichhiking hints anyway ;-)

> bbut u r on the right diriction i believe.

In being faster than 36 other people hichhiking to Elba, I'd say so,
yes.

> wish u the first place

Thanx

> (btw how long did the winners take?)

Around 20.5 hours. Amazing, isn't it? It was about 1600 Km from
Amsterdam to the boat to Elba. The boat took about an hour, and it was a
15 minute drive from boat -> camping.

MeltDown <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> wrote in

> Sure you can. If you have a few GHz and a good network connection, you
> can host multiple servers on the same box.

http://matureasskickers.net/ftp/Server/

This box hosts several Tribes 2 servers, one BF1942 server, and one UT2004
server. We can get about 50 people in running Tribes 2, and that's only
because we max out the bandwidth. BF1942 is a real pig, soaking up most of
one CPU and a fair amount of memory to support 24 people. UT2004 is fairly
light-weight, similar to Tribes 2. Idle, they use about 2-5% of a CPU. We
also have our website and forums on the box. We use a shaper script to give
priority to UDP game traffic.

When a new version (patch) of a game comes out and we've got a popular
server (as is the case with BF1942 right now), I'll load a copy of the game
with the patch and shake it out alongside the regular server, before
deploying it to the main pub.

T2 has a nice directory system for this. I run each server under its own
user. I can put all the common files in one system directory (owned by
root, read-only) and each server instance can have its own private files
(mods and map packs) in its user's home directory. The program searches the
user's ~/.loki/tribes2 directory before looking in the tree where the
program runs from. The common files are protected from mods that run amuck.
I wish UT would adopt this scheme.