Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Q9650 Upgrade to Cut Copy Time

Last response: in CPUs
September 14, 2010 11:06:50 AM

Most of my PC work is Blu-ray Movie Back-Up . I'm not a gamer .. Current build is E-8400 , XP 32 bit , 2Gb memory , GT-240 512 DDR5 , LG GGW-H20L Blu-Writer & DVDFab Blu Copy .. i7-950 new build isn't a practical ( Lay-Off Victim ) option .. Q9650 vs. i7-950 to reduce blu-ray movie copy process time compared to E-8400 3 Ghz duo core ? Knowledgable or Experienced reply needed .
a b à CPUs
September 14, 2010 11:22:39 AM

Sorry to hear about the Lay-Off! :( 

Well jumping to a quad wont be of much help if its just to reduce the copy time, i ti. Copying is more dependent on the quality of the HDD and the RAM, i think. Plus, your CPU is quite good if you ask me. How much time does it take to copy a full DVD?
Score
September 14, 2010 11:44:12 AM

GALAPAGOS Blu-ray 2hr movie 25 Gb source Completed under 1 ( 50 min. ) hour w/ stunning color & detail 1-1 copy ... A DVD 4.7 Gb movie abt . 30 minutes .. hell_storm ,If HDD means Hard Disk Drive , what do you recommend ? I've 2 x 2 Gb pc-8500 to replace 2 x 1 Gb All Corsair .. Also I've Windows 7 that I've delayed installation upgrade .. Let me know your thoughts ..
Score
Related resources
a c 133 à CPUs
September 14, 2010 11:50:54 AM

Sounds to me what you want is a faster rip time and what that relies on is multiple things: Ram Speed and Size, Hard Drive Speed and Blue Ray Drive speed all plays a part in what you are doing the processor really isn't gonna be doing to much when just ripping. Now if you are re encoding the movie that will definitely see some huge performance increase with an I7.

So my suggestion is have at least 4 gigs of RAM and a faster hard drive.
Score
September 14, 2010 11:53:01 AM

Avatar took abt. 2 hours using DVDFab Blu-Copy .. Writing Avatar required integrading ImgBurn writing engine .. The Integraded VSO Burning Engine wouldn't write Avatar ..
Score
September 14, 2010 11:58:06 AM

Current HDD is 7200rpm .. Will a 10,000 rpm do the job or should I move to SSD ?
Score
a b à CPUs
September 14, 2010 12:04:13 PM

I think for ripping a Quad Core may help. What softwares do you use for your ripping of BluRays and DVD's?
Score
a c 133 à CPUs
September 14, 2010 12:09:03 PM

Tell me this when you are ripping is your CPU maxing out. Check to see if it is maxing out both cores if it is maybe a quad core might improve performance some.
Score
September 14, 2010 12:17:58 PM

hell_storm2004 said:
I think for ripping a Quad Core may help. What softwares do you use for your ripping of BluRays and DVD's?
I've never bought anything but XP Pro 32bit & DVDFab Blu-Copy to read & write -- I forgot I think that the lg ggw-h20l Blu-writer had a basic nero w/ writer
Score
September 14, 2010 1:29:39 PM

2172272,8,494095 said:
Tell me this when you are ripping is your CPU maxing out. Check to see if it is maxing out both cores if it is maybe a quad core might improve performance some.[/quote To answer CPU Usage "the Prestige" as a source .. The CPU only for seconds went to 30% usage after 75% of read process usage jumped from abt. 17% to abt 27% .. As far as a faster Blu-Writer - that will not help . All 50Gb Bd-r Blanks are @ 2x .. Prestige took about an hour to complete .
Score
a b à CPUs
September 14, 2010 1:43:33 PM

Your CPU is absolutely not taxed by the ripping tasks! 27%-30% of CPU usage is quite acceptable. I think changing your CPU wont help in this case.

Try and download HandBrake and rip something and see if the CPU is taxed to the full or not.
Score
September 14, 2010 2:01:33 PM

hell_storm2004 said:
Your CPU is absolutely not taxed by the ripping tasks! 27%-30% of CPU usage is quite acceptable. I think changing your CPU wont help in this case.

Try and download HandBrake and rip something and see if the CPU is taxed to the full or not.

It was suggested that I install more ram to my XP- 32 Bit OS . I've 2 x 2 Gb. Pc-8500 to replace 2 x 1 gb. (only 3Gb. ) Both Corsair .. additional mention is to move to a faster HDD .. Maybe A Raptor 10,000 rpm or a SSD .. For the SSD 80Gb would max cash flow .. Ideas for ram & HDD ?
Score
a b à CPUs
September 14, 2010 2:13:02 PM

Since you are on a 32bit OS, the max memory support that you can get is 3.25GB. Even if you install an 8GB RAM it would still be 3.25GB.

The WD Caviar Blacks are fast 7200RPM drives.
SSD's are quite expensive but would give you a faster read/write time. But you have to couple it with a faster Blu-Ray reader. Maybe a 8x drive.
Score
September 14, 2010 3:19:40 PM

If BD-R 50 Gb. media is @ 2x how could a faster Blu writer help .?. ( i knew about the 32bit ram limits ) As soon as I find validation that Windows 7 will not disrupt DVDFab Blu-copy I can move to 64bit Iin 7 O.S. >>>> By the way Newegg has CORSAIR FORCE SERIES FOR $285. W/ A $50 REBATE GOOD SEPT. 14 - SEPT. 17 = $235.00<<<<
Score
a b à CPUs
September 14, 2010 3:24:12 PM

Try some other free softwares for ripping and see if it takes up the same amount of time.

If you have any friend's with a faster BluRay drive you can try out there and note the time differences (if any).
Score
September 15, 2010 1:55:18 AM

hell_storm2004 said:
Try some other free softwares for ripping and see if it takes up the same amount of time.

If you have any friend's with a faster BluRay drive you can try out there and note the time differences (if any).

My Blu-ray has writing speed for BR-R of 6x .. I wonder why you insist a faster writer will will push 2x media faster than possible .. I'm moving forward w/ a few upgrades .. Corsair Force Series 120 Gb. SSD @ Newegg after Rebate through the 17th for $238. , Windows 7 64 Bit Upgrade & a total Corsair Dominator Pc-8500 6 Gb .. I've a Samsung 750 HDD .. Maybe I'll move up to an ATI 5770 or 5850 for improved Cuda Acceration for Blu-Writing ..My GT-240 DDR5 512 is doing OK Job .. Maybe I'll ask around around about GPU Upgrade .. Thanks Good Guy ..
Score
a b à CPUs
September 15, 2010 7:06:58 AM

MERX2006 said:
Maybe I'll move up to an ATI 5770 or 5850 for improved Cuda Acceration for Blu-Writing ..

CUDA is with nVidia. You need to stick to nVidia for that.

Didn't notice that your drive was 6X mode. One thing before you go in for the upgrades... Go to BIOS and check if your optical drive is in PIO mode or DMA mode.
Score
a c 479 à CPUs
September 15, 2010 1:39:04 PM

Okay, a couple of things that I would hope that will clear things up.

A) Backing up a Blu-Ray to a blank Blu-Ray disk (1 to 1 copy) is mostly dependent on the hard drive speed and the read speed of the Blu-Ray drive. The 1st step would be to copy the entire contents of the disc to the hard drive. Most current 7200 RPM drives are pretty fast and you have Blu-Ray x8 drive. Never used a 10,000 RPM HDD or a SDD, but I image the time reduction will not be very dramatic.

B) Burning a Blu-Ray disc is entirely dependent on the write speed of the Blu-Ray disc and the drive. Generally speaking you should not burn beyond the speed that the blank disc are rated for. So if you have a x8 speed Blu-Ray drive and a x2 Blu-Ray disc, your burn speed should be x2 at most. Burning at faster than rated speed will generally cause more write errors on the blank disc. Generally not a problem for a bare optical drive that's installed on a PC, but you might run into problems with a standalone Blu-Ray player.

For example, when doing a 1:1 backup of a DVD using blank Verbatim Dual Layer x2.4 discs (8.5GB) and burning at the rated x2.4 speed, I had no issues playing the DVD in either a computer or my standalone Sony DVD player. These disc will allow you to burn at higher speed. however, doing so results in the Sony standalone DVD player having trouble playing the burnt DVD after a certain point in time; probably when switching over to read the video data on the 2nd layer. But my computer's DVD drive had no issues playing back the burnt DVD at all.

C) Transcoding (or encoding)...

This involves CPU processing because you are either reducing the size of the movie take less storage space, but keeping the same format. DVDShrink is an example, it allows you backup a movie on a dual layer DVD disc (8.5GB max) down to a regular single layer DVD disc (4.7GB) while retaining the DVD format and structure.

Or you are converting the movie into another format like DivX, XviD or the current x.264 standard. This is where CPU processing power comes into play. Encoding movies using DivX and XviD codecs are relatively fast, but the x.264 codec is a killer. I must mention that I never used the DivX codec beyond the version 6 series. It is now up to version 7 and in my opinion it is less flexible than prior version 'cause it does not work with 3rd party encoders like VirtualDub, but this is going off topic...

I'll continue this later because I need to get my ass to the office...
Score
September 15, 2010 2:54:37 PM

Thanks , your reply is most appreciated .. God you've around since 1970 - WoW . ( Continue ? ) I've decided to buy a SSD HDD -Corsair Force Series 120gb $245 @ Newegg through the 09/17/2010 .. I'm wondering how to accurately Copy Blu-Movie to HDD with time cutting efforts .. Writing or Burning to BD-R isn't that slow for now .. I thought about lastest Blu-Burners .. My current writer the LG-GGW-H20L has Cashe 4mb & 6x read .. Can an upgrade make a value difference @ 2mb - 4mb & 8x read ? I can add more ( Current ram 2 x 1gb ) memory to my XP-Pro 32 Bit O.S. restricted to 3Gb ..
Score

Best solution

a c 479 à CPUs
September 15, 2010 4:06:27 PM

MERX2006 said:
Thanks , your reply is most appreciated .. God you've around since 1970 - WoW . ( Continue ? )

I joined THG back in 2005/2006 I think. The forum was later updated and all members at that point in time defaulted to "Joined in 1970". That was roughly 20 years before the internet actually into being for 99.99% of us.

I will continue the point of transcoding just to finish up...

A powerful CPU is necessary for transcoding DVDs and Blu-Rays into a different format. As stated above, DivX and XviD are relatively easy on the CPU; thus encoding is pretty fast (especially compared to x.264). They also do not use more than two cores so in a quad core CPU. Of the two DivX is faster, but "die hards" say that XviD produces better quality. As I mentioned before, I only used up to DivX 6, not DivX 7 or whatever the current version is.

The x.264 codec on the other hand can bring any CPU to it's knees. It produces even better quality than DivX or XviD, but requires a lot of processing power to encode. Fortunately it will use all available cores; when I encode DVDs using the x.264 codec on my quad core Q9450 the CPU usage is basically 100%.

Many people who builds home theater PCs (HTPCs) encode movies to store on the hard drive for instant access and smaller video file sizes compared to the actual DVD or Blu-Ray.
September 15, 2010 4:35:39 PM

Best answer selected by MERX2006.
Score
September 15, 2010 4:39:47 PM

Everyone seems knowledgable but you interest me the most .. I'm not as tech knowledgable or experienced as most @ T.H. As A result it leaves me very trusting ..I wish the Q9650 would drop in price .. ( ABT> $325 )
Score
a b à CPUs
September 16, 2010 1:46:28 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!