Backup SSD to HDD?

Bulldog17

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2005
I'm getting ready to make the big leap to an SSD. I'll be transferring a backup image of my system drive from a HDD to a SSD. Thanks to good advice I've read here and elsewhere, I believe the migration will go well.

Here's a question I haven't seen elsewhere: I make a backup image of my system drive every day (sometimes more often.) Since I only plan to buy one SSD, the backup will be stored on a HDD.

Fortunately, I don't need to restore from backup that often, but will I have to check for correct alignment every time I restore a backup?

mad-max79

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
If you use Windows 7/Vista you don't need to check alignment.
But if you plan to restore HDD backups you always need to do the SSD optimizations, like turn on trim, check trim status:
fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify
0 means active, 1 not active
turn it on:
fsutil behavior set DisableDeleteNotify 0
you should also check to disable defrag on the SSD, you can also turn of superfetch and ready boost services.

Bulldog17

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2005
"If you use Windows 7/Vista you don't need to check alignment."

I don't know much about Vista, but w/r/t Windows 7, your statement is correct if doing a clean install. In my original question I mentioned I was migrating from a HDD.

DHFF

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012
At work I currently have XP on a SSD drive, at the end of each day I use Acronis to create a backup image to an HDD. I receive no errors when backing up but I have not yet needed to restore from that image file. when I eventually do need to use it. how do I check the alignment? and what other steps would I have to take to make sure the restoration goes smoothly?

Don

Bulldog17

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2005

I figured this one out on my own. Actually, it's a case of "duh!":

My disk imaging application, like most, stores the image in a single file. Doesn't matter what type of media the file is stored on.