Adjusting Memory when OC'g GPU

caaront

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
I have a profile I use in Riva Tuner to OC my GPU when I want a little extra from it.

The default settings for my XFX GTX 260 are Core-576 MHz, Shader-1242 MHz, and Memory-1000MHz.

My OC settings are Core-726 MHz, Shader-1565 MHz, and Memory- 1150 MHz.

The OC is stable and does help performance, but I was wondering if there is an actual formula or ratio for setting the Memory in relation to keeping the other two settings locked as you adjust them.

When I started the OCig on my GPU I left the Core and Shader locked together so they both move together but could find nothing anywhere on what ratio if any to adjust the memory so I did the following.

I figured out the percentage difference of the memory from the other two settings and then as I stepped the other two up I'd step the memory up also, trying to stay as close as I could to the percentage ratio I had.

As per many threads, and tutorials I moved them up a little at a time until I got a little snow and artifacts then went back to the setting that allowed me the best performance with no artifacts, etc...

And I really wrung FSX ouyt at each step to make sure that ithe OC would handle anything I threw at it.

I do not keep the card OC'd all the time, just if I am doing extra things such as using Fraps to record with while flying a FR heavy add on aircraft over FR heavy scenery, etc...

caaront

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
I have an OC i7
and as I stated I do not have my GPU OC'd most of the time, I have found I don't really need it OC'd, I am just curious as to how to do the memory when OC'g a GPU as it is not linked with the Core or Shasder adjustments.

Thank you.

You should hold back a little on the core so you can raise the shader a little more. You can leave the core at stock while you might be able to reach up to 1.7ghz on the shader. The vram just go for broke while making sure that nothing is getting hot. I prefer every thing to be cool/ warn but never hot to the touch.