AMD's Zacate/LLano Fusion Chips look Competitive/Delayed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GunBladeType-T

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
Zacate 1st Off seems like a Smart move with A GPU DX11 80 Stream proccessor's that show faster performance in DX11 Titles running some at 30FPS, while the Intel ICore-5 is a few FPS! Good for single player gaming and around 18 watts competes against the Atom Proccessor Interestingly. Intel doesn't seems to want to add DX11 support which gives AMD a performance edge, just maybe media extension for Video Decoding and performance and converting Media Files. Good position for AMD in the Mini Atom Market!

LLano is Delayed until summer of 2011 which brings the question what will Intel have to compete against LLano? 1Q production is when its ramping up which is soon, but AMD doesn't have the FABs as Intel, plus it has delays sometimes which kinda shoots them in the Foot! AMD K6-3 and Athlon FX 51+55 were executed perfectly and put them in a good position vs. Intel. 480 Stream Proccessor looks pretty impressive but delayed until Next Year is a misfire when you have some good Titles for the Holidays Possibly F.e.a.r. 3 and Doom IV!

Sandy bridge looks to have a Media Access Unit and A GPU, but gives Intel some time to make some tweaks to the Proccessor, I still think that 480 Stream Proccessors are fast especially with early benchmarks of Zacate so it should be interesting!

Solution

Yea but Zecate wont really have to worry about current Core i5s in the Notebook market. They will rather have to worry about Sandy Bridge which was giving more than 2x the performance of current Core i5s GPUs and it wasn't even able to use Turbo for the GPU and might have been a low end version instead of a high end version.

It is nice though to see preliminary benchmarks starting to come out. Just ened to wait for real results and nothing setup by AMD. I would rather see Anand or THG doing the benchmarking...

GunBladeType-T

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3920/amd-benchmarks-zacate-apu-2x-faster-gpu-performance-than-core-i5
Another Review puts the ICore-5 14 - 19 fps vs. performance in the 27 - 34 fps range on Zacate
Another interesting website!

Yea but Zecate wont really have to worry about current Core i5s in the Notebook market. They will rather have to worry about Sandy Bridge which was giving more than 2x the performance of current Core i5s GPUs and it wasn't even able to use Turbo for the GPU and might have been a low end version instead of a high end version.

It is nice though to see preliminary benchmarks starting to come out. Just ened to wait for real results and nothing setup by AMD. I would rather see Anand or THG doing the benchmarking since they wont try to splice it one way or the other.

I just hope this is competative enough to help AMD get back into the notebook market because ever since Intel put out the Pentium M, where Core came frome, AMD hasn't been doing quite as well.

Its more that most of the people here have been around in the technology field to know not to trust anything thats given to you from the maker. If Intel says SB gives 2x GPU performance over Core i5, great. But in order for us to trust it most of us have a wait and see from thrid party sources.

There are your ocassional fanboys from both sides but most people here just want to be able to get the best performance for their price range. Some just want best performance no matter what price. And then others want best performance/value.

But trusting ANYTHING the maker of a product states is pointless. ATI (and I have owned ATI since th 9700Pro till my current HD4870) was using the TFLOPS as a marketing gimmick to show 2x performance gains but the problem was that that never translated into games.

Solution

GunBladeType-T

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010

It helps to have a proprietary game engine or API to get your complex chips on the market used to their max potential! or Even trying buying out a game engine thats popular! ATI's gear has some juice and a early entrance over Nvidia in DX11 but no games like Doom IV or F.e.a.r. 3 not sure about Vanquish to undercut NVidia! They have some Horsepower in their chips to do some damage, but no finish-him like MK Kung Lao split the Sector Fatality!

Oh absolutley. ATIs GPU have some power but still suffer from a SP clock tied into the core clock. If they could clock their SP units at the same speed as nVidia, I believe they would make nVidia look like a Intel IGP. But they cannot.

Back in the day, before AMD bought ATI, ATI used to work with game devs. Source, VALVe HL2 engine, was designed on the 9800 GPU and still to this day you will see less people with problems on a Source based game than nVidia and also better performance. A guy started up ROllercoaster Tycoon 3 the other day and it had the ATI logo in the beginning.

That is the one thing I hate that AMD did. They stopped ATI from working with game devs. nVidia still does so thats why a lot of games give an advantage to nVidia. They are optimized for nVidias hardware and not for ATIs.

GunBladeType-T

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010

Well the ATI Radeon DDR AIW with tv tuner and DDRAM did some damage with the catalyst drivers and was competitive after 3dfx and matrox weren't competing anymore. The NV20 Geforce Ti-200 was fast and price pretty good on the market! After that ATI was very competitive with the Hyper-Z buffer and Truform Rendering that knocked out Nvidia until the Geforce FX/Geforce 6 lineup!Nvidia brought the Heat with the geforce fx 5800ultra cooler and geforce 6 sli! LMA was comparable to ATi but not as effective as I believe ATI had the 512bit token ring network! But delayed until R580! Get a Lucid Hydra and you can run both i wonder if it can replace ATI or Nvidia?

The HD2900 (R600) had a 512bit token ring bus system that pushed out 126GB/s memory bandwidth on GDDR3. I always imagine what it could do with current GDDR5.

ATI was great from the 9700Pro to the X1900. It made nVidia work. But their current lineup is not the best overall performer. Its great but in raw power, nVidia is better and has better multi-GPU scaling.

But ATI has the price, well somewhat.

So, Crysis will be just another game?
Not a spearhead to raise the market appeal for nVidia?
Along with all that comes the "it wont (well maybe) never ever run on ATI cards (unable to, theyre too weak, devs forgot to remove if ATI then fail from game bench) etc etc
This is progress?

It might have been there due to the fact that ATI had a DX11 capable card out quite a bit before nVidia.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/nvidias_hot_rod_gtx_480_powerful_and_power_hungry?page=0,1

Thats a review when Fermi first hit. Its only a bit slower single than a HD5970.

Not saying anything bad about ATI, just that they don't seem to work as closley with the game devs as they used to. I think that Dirt 2s website only had an ATI logo due to DX11, and not because they optimized it for ATI hardware.

Of course AMD would never have said anything like :-
DiRT® 2 Offers Exhilarating DirectX® 11 Gaming Experience - Only On ATI Radeon Graphics Cards
or
"AMD has worked tirelessly with Codemasters to collectively transform realism in PC gaming through new DirectX 11 technologies only available today on the latest ATI Radeon graphics cards," said Matt Skynner, vice president & general manager, GPU Division at AMD.
would they?

Status
Not open for further replies.