Sign in with
Your question

Is there a limit to how good a graphics card I get for my motherboard?

Last response: in Motherboards
April 24, 2011 1:33:18 PM

this is my computer build https://www.elara.ie/members/viewpwishlist.aspx?wishid=...
as far as i know this is my motherboard ASUSTEK - MMEB995225 - 90-MIB6R0-G0EAY00Z
P5Q SE2 S775 P45 ATX DDR2 SND+GLN+U2 SATA2 FB1600
Its no longer availible and i cant look up information about it. its also not on the official asus website. I was thinking of geting a new graphics card and was wondering if anybody knows if there is a limit to how good graphics card can the motherboard handel or can any motherboard handel any graphics card?
April 25, 2011 12:59:13 AM

Usually, yes! sometimes there are some graphic cards that require a lot of power, but that isn't a problem provided you have a psu that can provide adequate power...if you placed 3 very powerful video cards (3-4 gtx 570's or 580's)...then, you may need a motherboard that allows you to add more power for the cards..but, in your case..it shouldnt be a problem!
m
l
April 25, 2011 7:46:00 AM

asantesoul said:
Usually, yes! sometimes there are some graphic cards that require a lot of power, but that isn't a problem provided you have a psu that can provide adequate power...if you placed 3 very powerful video cards (3-4 gtx 570's or 580's)...then, you may need a motherboard that allows you to add more power for the cards..but, in your case..it shouldnt be a problem!

Thanks so much for your help, but just how do u know its psu?
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
April 25, 2011 4:20:26 PM

You take the side off the computer and you look at it with your eyes.

You cannot just get the fastest video card out there, obviously your cpu will be a bottleneck, so without knowing what cpu and gpu you have and what resoution your monitor is, nobody can really suggest a good gpu for you.
m
l
April 25, 2011 5:31:06 PM

geekapproved said:
You take the side off the computer and you look at it with your eyes.

You cannot just get the fastest video card out there, obviously your cpu will be a bottleneck, so without knowing what cpu and gpu you have and what resoution your monitor is, nobody can really suggest a good gpu for you.

I have 2.7 dual core procesor and 9800 gt video card. I have 1680x1050 monitor. I wasnt really going to get people to tell me wat is the best one to get but since you bring it up, sure tell me wat is ur opinion?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
April 25, 2011 6:39:43 PM

You weren't going to get people to tell you what the best gpu for your computer is??

Then what was the point of this post? That's exactly what you asked.

Anything worth buying is going to be severely held back by your cpu at that resoution. Especially if your talking about a 2.7 X2 or 2.7 Phenom I.
m
l
April 25, 2011 9:42:23 PM

^yeah...he's right OP..I mean, you could get a brand new video card..but the bottleneck would be absolutely terrifying! You need to get a more powerful cpu to match your video card..your current one wont keep up..my suggestion is to save up just a bit, and switch out your motherboard and cpu...it is worth it!
m
l
!