UnrealTower has RSS feeds

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament, alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

Hi there!

A bit of news from the UnrealTower front. I've added two RSS feeds. The
least useful of the two is a news feed[1] - it just shows you the news from
UnrealTower in case you're interested.

The second feed is more on-topic for this group: the FAQ feed[2]. It
displays the latest eight additions to the FAQs of
alt.games.unreal.tournament and alt.games.unreal.tournament2003
combined. That means everybody now can actually follow what I'm doing
there ;-)

MeltDown

[1] http://www.unrealtower.org/rss
[2] http://www.unrealtower.org/faqrss
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
17 answers Last reply
More about unrealtower feeds

    MeltDown <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> Blessed us
    with news:slrncbf73t.rfm.meltdownUSE@sybren.thirdtower.com:

    > Hi there!
    >
    > A bit of news from the UnrealTower front. I've added two RSS
    > feeds. The least useful of the two is a news feed[1] - it just
    > shows you the news from UnrealTower in case you're interested.
    >
    > The second feed is more on-topic for this group: the FAQ
    > feed[2]. It displays the latest eight additions to the FAQs of
    > alt.games.unreal.tournament and alt.games.unreal.tournament2003
    > combined. That means everybody now can actually follow what I'm
    > doing there ;-)
    >
    > MeltDown
    >
    > [1] http://www.unrealtower.org/rss [2]
    > http://www.unrealtower.org/faqrss

    What the heck is an RSS feed? When I go to these two URL's with
    IE I see some text embedded in what looks to be HTML code. The
    text is the same that you have typed in your message here. I'm
    probably not seeing it correctly with Internut Expeller though.

    "Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

    Mr.K

    For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
    or UT2004.

    "JHall" <jhall@playmlec.net> wrote in message

    > What the heck is an RSS feed? When I go to these two URL's with
    > IE I see some text embedded in what looks to be HTML code. The
    > text is the same that you have typed in your message here. I'm
    > probably not seeing it correctly with Internut Expeller though.

    no, if IE won't display it properly, nothing will ;op

    seriously though, IE in windows and mozilla in linux both display it the
    same way. the rss feed just shows the page with the code on it. I would
    imagine that you need some special rss news program to get that information.
    If not, the code is screwed up.

    --

    Margolis
    http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm

    "Margolis" <someone@somewhere.org> wrote in message

    > "JHall" <jhall@playmlec.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > What the heck is an RSS feed? When I go to these two URL's with
    > > IE I see some text embedded in what looks to be HTML code. The
    > > text is the same that you have typed in your message here. I'm
    > > probably not seeing it correctly with Internut Expeller though.
    > >
    > > --
    > >

    > no, if IE won't display it properly, nothing will ;op
    >
    > seriously though, IE in windows and mozilla in linux both display it the
    > same way. the rss feed just shows the page with the code on it. I would
    > imagine that you need some special rss news program to get that
    information.
    > If not, the code is screwed up.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Margolis

    http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm
    > http://www.unrealtower.org/faq

    You don't view an RSS feed with a web browser, on any platform.
    You use an RSS news feed program, or you have a webpage "feeding" the
    contents.
    Most wesite based on PHP or PHPNuke have a news feed section under your
    account settings.
    If you put the link in the feed link field, it shows a list of links to
    stories from the feed loaction on your account page.

    "Spinner" <spinner@web.cor> wrote in message

    > You don't view an RSS feed with a web browser, on any platform.
    > You use an RSS news feed program, or you have a webpage "feeding" the
    > contents.
    > Most wesite based on PHP or PHPNuke have a news feed section under your
    > account settings.
    > If you put the link in the feed link field, it shows a list of links to
    > stories from the feed loaction on your account page.

    thanks for that info. I kinda figured that out after googling it and also
    clicking the link that Andrew posted. But anytime someone wants to expain
    things it is still appreciated ;o)

    --

    Margolis
    http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm
    http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On 29 May 2004 15:33:16 GMT, JHall <jhall@playmlec.net> wrote:

    >What the heck is an RSS feed? When I go to these two URL's with
    >IE I see some text embedded in what looks to be HTML code. The
    >text is the same that you have typed in your message here. I'm
    >probably not seeing it correctly with Internut Expeller though.

    http://www.sharpreader.net/
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    "Margolis" <someone@somewhere.org> Blessed us with

    > thanks for that info. I kinda figured that out after googling
    > it and also clicking the link that Andrew posted. But anytime
    > someone wants to expain things it is still appreciated ;o)

    I'll second that! I appreciate it! :-) I appreciate all of the
    info that everyone has posted. I had never heard of an RSS feed
    before and now I have a much better idea of what it is. It's
    probably something I wouldn't use a whole lot unless I were a web
    admin or something but it's nice to know that users can use RSS
    too.

    "Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

    Mr.K

    For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
    or UT2004.
    http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    JHall enlightened us with:
    > What the heck is an RSS feed?

    It's a way of offering the news etc. from a website in a standard way.
    This way happens to be XML, which is pretty good for such things. There
    are many uses for it. I have a plugin for Mozilla Firefox that can
    display various RSS feeds. The nice thing is that I can check out
    summaries the of news on Slashdot, security.nl, webwereld.nl and other
    websites I like, within one window, uniformly, no ads, etc. And if I
    want to read the whole article, I can click on it and it'll display the
    originating website right at the article I wanted.

    > When I go to these two URL's with IE I see some text embedded in what
    > looks to be HTML code.

    That's right.

    > The text is the same that you have typed in your message here. I'm
    > probably not seeing it correctly with Internut Expeller though.

    That's right too. My favourite browser + a plugin will display it
    nicely.

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    MeltDown <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> Blessed us
    with news:slrncbhqpn.94o.meltdownUSE@sybren.thirdtower.com:

    > JHall enlightened us with:
    >> What the heck is an RSS feed?
    >
    > It's a way of offering the news etc. from a website in a
    > standard way. This way happens to be XML, which is pretty good
    > for such things. There are many uses for it. I have a plugin for
    > Mozilla Firefox that can display various RSS feeds. The nice
    > thing is that I can check out summaries the of news on Slashdot,
    > security.nl, webwereld.nl and other websites I like, within one
    > window, uniformly, no ads, etc. And if I want to read the whole
    > article, I can click on it and it'll display the originating
    > website right at the article I wanted.

    Cool! Does it update itself or do you have to manually do the
    updates?

    >> When I go to these two URL's with IE I see some text embedded
    >> in what looks to be HTML code.
    >
    > That's right.

    Well you said it was XML and I'm wondering now if XML is similar
    to HTML? IE should display it properly because I have viewed
    XML documents before with no problem but this looks almost like
    someone posted here in the newsgroup in HTML. When someone
    posts in HTML I have to pick out the text that's embedded in
    the HTML code and this looks similar. Andrew posted a link to
    Sharpreader and I may try it later on to see how it works.

    Curiosity killed the cat! All nine lives in one swipe! LOL
    :o)

    "Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

    Mr.K

    For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
    or UT2004.
    http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On 29 May 2004 20:47:46 GMT, JHall <jhall@playmlec.net> wrote:

    >I'll second that! I appreciate it! :-) I appreciate all of the
    >info that everyone has posted. I had never heard of an RSS feed
    >before and now I have a much better idea of what it is. It's
    >probably something I wouldn't use a whole lot unless I were a web
    >admin or something but it's nice to know that users can use RSS
    >too.

    It is for users, loads of major websites have RSS feeds on them, and
    using something lke Sharp Reader allows you to see new stories when
    they are published without haveing to go to the page to check it. Its
    the latest "big thing" on the net.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    I have just switched to firefox what plug in do you have to view RSS feeds?
    Any chance of a pointer to where you obtained it please. There a few other
    sites I believe do RSS crash.net for motorsport I think for one.

    Vis
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    JHall enlightened us with:
    > Cool! Does it update itself or do you have to manually do the updates?

    Depends on the viewer you're using.

    > Well you said it was XML and I'm wondering now if XML is similar to
    > HTML?

    They are both markup languages, and HTML has been superseded by XHTML,
    which is HTML-in-XML.

    > IE should display it properly

    IE should display a lot of things properly, but it hasn't been updated
    since about 1996.

    > because I have viewed XML documents before with no problem

    That was because it came with a XSL file, which translated the XML to
    XHTML, which was displayed by IE.

    > but this looks almost like someone posted here in the newsgroup in
    > HTML.

    You're just looking at XML, nothing fancy.

    > When someone posts in HTML I have to pick out the text that's embedded
    > in the HTML code and this looks similar.

    That's right - XML was inspired on HTML, but is more flexible and also
    suited for different purposes.

    > Andrew posted a link to Sharpreader and I may try it later on to see
    > how it works.

    Don't forget to try Mozilla Firefox and the RSS Reader extention from
    http://extentionroom.mozdev.org/ too ;-)

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Visine enlightened us with:
    > I have just switched to firefox what plug in do you have to view RSS
    > feeds?

    RSS Reader Panel from
    http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/rssreaderpanel

    It's really easy to work with. Create a folder in your bookmarks where
    you bookmark the RSS feeds you'd like to read. Then tell the plugin that
    you'll store the RSS Feeds there, and you're set. Hit Alt+R to display
    the reader. Make sure you enable "View in content pane" and "Allow HTML"
    or something similar - it'll look a lot better.

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On Sun, 30 May 2004 01:17:03 +0200, MeltDown
    <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> wrote:

    >RSS Reader Panel from
    >http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/rssreaderpanel

    I will stick to Sharp Reader, its a lot slicker IMO, especially as you
    can skip between unread items with CTRL-up/down.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Andrew enlightened us with:
    > I will stick to Sharp Reader, its a lot slicker IMO, especially as you
    > can skip between unread items with CTRL-up/down.

    Whatever suits your needs ;-)

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Thanks ill give it a go

    Vis
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Andrew <spamtrap@localhost> wrote in

    > http://www.sharpreader.net/

    I've been using this one:

    http://rssreader.com/

    I'll have to check out the Moz plugin, though.

    I've been subscribing to Neat Net Tricks (http://neatnettricks.com/) for
    some time and they just adopted an RSS feed.

    What I need to know now is how to generate a feed. I think it would be cool
    to add one to the MA website.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    ScratchMonkey enlightened us with:
    > What I need to know now is how to generate a feed. I think it would be
    > cool to add one to the MA website.

    Just output XML any way you want. Plenty of examples available!

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

Games RSS Video Games